IGNORED

Minority Report

Simon Cann

It sounded like it should have been a great film, but I couldn't take any more after about 40 minutes and switched over. They'd made a half-arsed attempt at being all 'arty' and serious with what would have made a great high-octance action flick, or so it seemed to me.

Quite a lot of humor in it for a serious film and that's why it doesn't get realized because people are ignoring it and concentrating on the serious storyline. It's almost not worth putting in to be honest - the whole thing would have worked better as an anime.

I laughed at the bit with the singing cereal box. It's funny because it's (going to be) true.

o/\o

That'd be me too, chucking that shit across the room like that.

And yeah, good filim I reckon. Not at all what I expected to be honest, quite funny in places and also made my stomach turn a bit. Half-expected the other agent fella to be smarter than that instead of getting himself dead but still, you know.

Must have been cold in that little moon pool they had. Boing.

edit: Stu your lemmings avatar thing is wrong 'cos they don't do the hands on head bit until the time is up, then they blow up after the animation. For fucks sack man.

I was enjoying until I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore (which had nothing to do with the movie I might add). Because people on this forum are pretty hard on it I thought it received a very mixed critical reception as well. Seems I was wrong about that.

Must watch it again when I'm not feeling so fucking sleepy.

Well, I found Minority Report to be fairly enjoyable piece of lightweight sci-fi. It's one of those films I'd happily buy on DVD and watch, say, once every year. It's pretty mindless and there's nothing that ranks it as one of the best but it's a fairly solid futuristic thriller.

However, the people who came with me to the cinemas got really bored half way through and started making smutty jokes.

I should get better friends.

I liked this film, at least you werent sat there at the end thinking "what the fuck was that all about?". I liked the twists and turns near the end, and I liked the way it made sense. You come away with that film understanding what it was about. It was a good story line which made sense and had a conclusion.

Some brilliant ideas, and some great sequences, but pretty shit on the whole for two reasons- the film having the world's most idiotically over-elaborate evil scheme, and the last half-hour being disgracefully rubbish, totally undoing everything that went before.

it's The Cruiser *and* Spielberg, so it should be avoided at all costs - but i think it's worth watching for the production design alone - the interior of Cruise's apartment is fantastic, along with groovy hand-operated infoscreen thingy and the whole unified design of 'the future'. and his Bulgari watch. which *is* the balls.

of course Cruise chews the scenery like it was a waffle and Spielberg is directing with his eyes shut, but turn the sound down, make up your own dialogue and see how many references to Blade Runner you can spot.

Spielberg is directing with his eyes shut

You really think that? Well, I think everyone here can agree that visually the film is gorgeous (even the negative reviews from that Rotten Tomatoes page acknowledge this), and in terms of art direction and sets and props it's one of the best I've ever seen. The direction in terms of filming and camera angles is F'N AMAZING. Did you see that continuous overheard shot as those metal spiders are walking around? And some of the hundreds of other cool shots in the film?

Like some people have said, the last 20 mins were a bit off and Hollywoody. The rest was ace.

I love Minority Report and find it somewhat surprising to see it referred to as "dire".

It may have plotholes (even if we don't include any paradoxes) and I know many have problems with the final shot – it doesn't bother me much at all to be honest, I've seen far worse in other films).

I think the movie has a great look to it and is terrificly shot. Yes, it draws reference from many other sources but you'll be hard pressed to find films don't pay homage, lift, or flagrantly steal from others.

It has great action scenes namely the first attempted capture of Cruise and the scannig of the apartment building by the robotic spiders. Great stuff.

The movie raise some interesting questions and the overall theme is an intriguing one.

Granted, there aren't much in the way of true surprises and the big reveal isn't a huge revelation.

I actually liked how the plot essentially echoes that of Mission: Impossible. For example, Cruise being betrayed by his father figure, him being on the run from his own, even the way in which Cruise set up his mentor is similar to the end scene in M:I. The we have Farrell's character being portrayed as the 'bad guy' because he's after Cruise where he essentially just doing his job

I don't even have a problem with the product placement as it's used intelligently, unlike I,Robot and the Bond flicks. It's very believable that in the future advertisements will be extremely over bearing and actually personalised in some way.

One of my favourite blockbusters of recent years.

I don't even have a problem with the product placement as it's used intelligently, unlike I,Robot and the Bond flicks. It's very believable that in the future advertisements will be extremely over bearing and actually personalised in some way.

Same here. I was really surprised at how much the product placement stuff was mentioned by people who didn't like the film.

I mean, it had a point to it: adverts would be overbearing and everywhere - and they were something that might get him caught. They were shouting out 'John Anderton' at a time when he was a wanted man and on the front page of the papers. And they were pretty funny "John Anderton! You could use a Bud right about now!".

I get the feeling that if it'd gone the Truman Show route and used imaginary products for it's advertising satire it would have gone down fine with everyone.

You really think that? Well, I think everyone here can agree that visually the film is gorgeous (even the negative reviews from that Rotten Tomatoes page acknowledge this), and in terms of art direction and sets and props it's one of the best I've ever seen. The direction in terms of filming and camera angles is F'N AMAZING. Did you see that continuous overheard shot as those metal spiders are walking around? And some of the hundreds of other cool shots in the film?

Like some people have said, the last 20 mins were a bit off and Hollywoody. The rest was ace.

yeah, it goes from point A to B to C, with a slight twist at the end - the direction is pedestrian and offered little surpise. of course it has visual flair like i said - on a purely design level it looks fantastic with a believable version of the future, but in my opinion none of that is Spielberg - it's all down to the production designers and what they created. in the hands of another director, David Fincher for instance, it could have been a far more intelligent film rather than just yet another Hollywood chase flick.

This film has so many great touches. Someone earlier said that it was poo faced and took itself seriously but there are so many neat subtle wink wink touches all over the place eg cruisemeister landing with his head between his ass in a yoga class and the eye reading advert that says "hello mr yamamoto would you like to buy a lexus" :P

One of speilbergs best. I was waiting for the twist all the way through but somehoe guessed it when tommy c was approaching the room... I was :D when it all came together. When he was caught i did think WOW they were really brave to end it there. What a great movie... then it went on for another 30 minutes :D

This film has so many great touches. Someone earlier said that it was poo faced and took itself seriously but there are so many neat subtle wink wink touches all over the place eg cruisemeister landing with his head between his ass in a yoga class and the eye reading advert that says "hello mr yamamoto would you like to buy a lexus" :)

One of speilbergs best. I was waiting for the twist all the way through but somehoe guessed it when tommy c was approaching the room... I was :D when it all came together. When he was caught i did think WOW they were really brave to end it there. What a great movie... then it went on for another 30 minutes ;)

Dont forget the bit where he drops his eyes and is chasing them down the corridor :) . I love Minority Report, think its a great film although I do prefer A.I.

Dont forget the bit where he drops his eyes and is chasing them down the corridor  :D . I love Minority Report, think its a great film although I do prefer A.I.

TC : Can i keep my old eyes?

Doctor : Why?

TC : My mum gave them to me.

MR is fucking ace. Would have been awesome without the 2nd ending. Does anyone know if the original story ended there?