IGNORED

5 Million Ds's Sold In Japan

No Control

Not where it mattered, obviously, seeing the results.

Not in my impression, and Uncle Clive's take on it (whatever it is, I haven't seen it) is hardly indicative of the mainstream press or the "general" public.

All I remember is "OMG TEH I|\|NOV4TION PSP SUX()R3Z", before dissing the PSP and it's 1 hour battery life.

So there you go.

Are you totally mental? The DS had NOWHERE NEAR the mainstream coverage that the PS2 launch had. The PS2 was talked about in the mainstream press for a year before it finally arrived and then exploded in a shower of spunk. The DS got a few "look at this crazy new gadget from Japan!!!" mentions on the week of its release.

And I can't believe you've forgotten all the negative press about the DS! Sure, the PSP got a bit of flak because of its battery, but nobody thought the DS was going to go anywhere. Even big Nintendo fanboys thought optimistically that it would probably match the PSP, but huge amounts of people thought that the second the PSP was released it would stomp all over the DS, after all, how can wacky control mechanisms beat a massive screen and flashy graphics?

So, anyway, what I'm asking is whether you live in a Truman-Show style world owned and maintained by Nintendo?

My sister has stolen mine and is playing nintendogs with her friend who got one from santa and she is giving away all my stuff for her to sell in the 2nd hand shop for more dogs !

On the plus side I can now buy a few more dogs some of which are ultra cute.

The scary thing is Nintendo still have Pokemon to fall back on, and that's going to be an absolute monster.

A new Pokemon film, with a dedicated DS tie-in (presumably with downloadable/unlockable content linked into the film as Nintendo have talked about doing) and two 'proper' Pokemon DS games coming in 2k6.

Jesus. I wouldn't want to be the poor bastards who have to release anything in the same weeks as those - be it games hardware, software or films. The only way Nintendo could make things worse for everyone else would be to find someway to tie the Revolution launch into that lot...

I have to confess I dismissed the DS as a gimmick when I first heard about it, and I've bought every Nintendo machine from SNES to the GC (except the Virtual Boy and Pokemon Mini but surely nobody bought those?)

I only bought one in July after getting some money for my birthday and reading all the love for it on here. Six months on I've already got 17 games including 2 imports and another dozen future releases on my wish list. All the other consoles are gathering dust. Since Christmas Day we've become a three DS household as both daughters had Nintendogs bundles from Santa which have only been left alone to charge. Three player link ups (even just on Pictochat) are proving to be fantastic fun. And even the two year old boys like playing Nintendogs to throw a ball or frisbee or bath and brush the dog.

For its truly amazing selection of games in its first year, and for being the first console that I can play with all my kids, the DS is already my favourite games machine ever*.

*To clarify, by "ever" I mean "since getting my ZX81 twenty-four years ago."

I was the biggest opponent of the DS. I fucking hated the idea and saw it as a GBA2. I was worried that the PSP would stomp all over nintys domination thus signalling the downfall of nintendo.

Luckly i was wrong and somehow broke while reading rllmuk, rushed down to GS at 213- hrs before they closed up and bought a MKDS bundle :unsure:

I have to confess I dismissed the DS as a gimmick when I first heard about it, and I've bought every Nintendo machine from SNES to the GC (except the Virtual Boy and Pokemon Mini but surely nobody bought those?)

.::: Nah, why should they? It's only home to the best version of Tetris EVER. ;)

Also I was in the "PSP will own it from day one" camp. Somehow I'm not sad that I've been proved wrong.

Then again Nintendo isn't there yet. THe PSP will at some point get its proper games as well not? Stuff like EXIT and such can at least close off the miserable state the handheld is in.

I just realized I havn't switched the darn thing on since getting my Transformers The Movie UMD.... Which was in October. :unsure:

I just can't friggin wait until the new SMB, I was just thinking about how big an event a new 2d Mario game was for me. If this one delivers on the scale of the others, then I'm going to be in absolute heaven. Looking forward to it more than Mario on the Revolution even.

GTA is already out and surely that is going to be the PSPs biggest game?

.::: Well, no. Or was Zelda the biggest game for GBA?

What I mean to say is that the PSP might find its mojo after all. Just that it will not find it in the place it had all the spotlights turned to. Stuff like Tokobot and EXIT are examples. Instead of shoehorning PS2 games into a PSP environment, developers will eventually start to build around the PSP's strengths.

A bit ironic but those strengths are less appearant than the DS (whose touchscreen usage is so clear anyone can come up with something). The PSP has been promoted as a portable PS2, but if only Sony (no pun intended) would drop that image and simply generate content worthy of the device and its strengths might we see it become as unmissable as the DS currently is.

The first round has definitely been won by Nintendo, but I wouldn't say the PSP is KO'ed.

Are you totally mental? The DS had NOWHERE NEAR the mainstream coverage that the PS2 launch had. The PS2 was talked about in the mainstream press for a year before it finally arrived and then exploded in a shower of spunk. The DS got a few "look at this crazy new gadget from Japan!!!" mentions on the week of its release.

You're wrong about the western mainstream coverage of the DS, which was, and still is, very positive.

And these amazing sales figures are only for Japan, which is a very different market than here. The DS doesn't really outsell the PSP in the US or Europe (the DS has been around for much longer, but they are now neck-and-neck it seems)

.::: We do know there are two million DS' around in Europe. And according to Sony:

- Japan (including Asia (*1)) 3.00 million units (launch date: December 12, 2004)

- North America 4.47 million units (launch date: March 24, 2005)

- Europe/PAL 2.53 million units (launch date: September 1, 2005)

10 October 2005

But we'll never settle this 'reasonably' without adding the Christmas sales and without shutting a few blabbermouths here and there.

I remember buying the DS back on the UK launch, and fully expecting to be an owner of a white elephant. A gimmick to be discarded after a few interesting ideas came out. Once a properly marketed (i.e. the PSP) console came out I expected death for the DS.

But I bought it anyway just to see what experiments Nintendo came out with. Years of experience have lead me to the conclusion that Nintendo are always the ones to watch for new and intersting ideas in games. The DS has delivered that in spades for me.

As a technophile, I find the PSP amazing. To cram such powerful techology into a handheld is an amazing feat. But just like with the Xbox 360, I find no excitement in these by the generic games we've seen so many times.

The DS seems to dare developers to try something different though, and I've loved the results so far.

I'm really pleased the DS is selling well. More sales means more developers, more games and more ideas.

Gaming suddenly looks a lot more fun.

You're wrong about the western mainstream coverage of the DS, which was, and still is, very positive.

Compared to the PS2 launch?!? Or the PSP? Seriously, the DS has got largely positive coverage - I've not seen anyone slagging it off anyway. But the PSP has got a lot more coverage. It's understandable, most of the BBC, ITV, etc viewers are going to be interested in Sony stuff more than Nintendo stuff, they don't have any obligation to promote innovative videogames or anything. But the DS got a bit of coverage when it came out, and that's it. If you can't see that, I suggest you try using your eyes.

Compared to the PS2 launch?!? Or the PSP? Seriously, the DS has got largely positive coverage - I've not seen anyone slagging it off anyway. But the PSP has got a lot more coverage. It's understandable, most of the BBC, ITV, etc viewers are going to be interested in Sony stuff more than Nintendo stuff, they don't have any obligation to promote innovative videogames or anything. But the DS got a bit of coverage when it came out, and that's it. If you can't see that, I suggest you try using your eyes.

:P

You obviously didn't see the gadget show then (Yes I know the gadet show is shit)

I was just highlighting the fact that there have been things in the mainstream media that slagged off the DS.

There were actually lots of comparisons between the PSP and the DS before they were released in much of the mainstream media (Sun/Maxim/Home Entertainment/BBC). The PSP was rated as the console to get in every single one bar none. The DS wasn't slagged off per se (as in don't buy it) but it was classed as ugly, underpowered and not having any good games (which are/were all true to a certain extent).

There were actually lots of comparisons between the PSP and the DS before they were released in much of the mainstream media (Sun/Maxim/Home Entertainment/BBC). The PSP was rated as the console to get in every single one bar none. The DS wasn't slagged off per se (as in don't buy it) but it was classed as ugly, underpowered and not having any good games (which are/were all true to a certain extent).

It was on the gadget show.