Spong Reporting 360 Mod Chip "within Weeks"

mr_rmg

It still has nowt to do with whose house is more secure.

You and your mate both leave your houses for a week starting on a Saturday, you rely on a Yale lock, your mate has a mortice lock.

Two teams of burglars get started on both houses. Your house gets burgled on Sunday Night, your mates house gets burgled on Wednesday night.

Whose house is more secure?

The more secure house is the one that takes longer to break into.

You could replace "lock" with "burglar alarm" if you want.

If I alarm my house and leave it for a year, and when I come back it's been burgled, but my friend doesn't alarm his house and leaves it for two minutes, and it doesn't get burgled, whose house is more secure?

:wacko: Come on, what has that got to do with hacking consoles?

Anyways, I think that if a console (in this case, the GC) doesn't even need to be modded (i.e. no modchip, or any kind of physical tampering whatsoever) to be able to play yarred stuff, it's not exactly a console with impressive security?

Or, going by your dubious analogy, it's like your friend actually throws his valuable stuff out of his wondow for the burglar to catch: the burglar doesn't even need to go inside.

:D

I tell you, it's not safe to even answer the door any more with all these burglars around. :wacko:

This is getting really silly now though. You mean if one team of burglars gets started on your house, and then the next year a different team of burglars gets started on your mate's house using better equipment etc? And if we don't even know which is the more talented team of burglars? Yeah, that's a nice clear-cut argument if ever there was one.

The most secure system to me is the one which requires the most effort and ingenuity to circumvent it's protection.

But if hackers are generally cleverer now than they were before, does that not mean they need less ingenuity to do the same job? Or are you factoring in ingenuity to the equation of them being cleverer in the first place?

Forget it. I'm going home. Happy Christmas!

Of course they are more clever because they have probably learned loads just from hacking the xbox, however, this is completely different hardware and security that they are having to deal with.

You and your mate both leave your houses for a week starting on a Saturday, you rely on a Yale lock, your mate has a mortice lock.

Two teams of burglars get started on both houses. Your house gets burgled on Sunday Night, your mates house gets burgled on Wednesday night.

Whose house is more secure?

If J Allard's bath takes 20 minutes to fill at 2 litres per hour, and and Bbox 360 takes 12 seconds to hit the ground when thrown off a 200 foot cliff- never mind.

Now that all the analogies have died down, I have a noobtastic question for Yod@: do you think that the 360 will maybe be able to run a decent saturn emu? That the psx and n64 emus will be better on a modded 360 seems a given because of all the extra raw power, but I've been told that there is more to emulating a saturn than simply using a system that's x times more powerful than the saturn itself. In short, does the 360 with its multiple cores have a good chance of emulating the convoluted saturn? Or is that an horribly noobish way of looking at it? :unsure:

If J Allard's bath takes 20 minutes to fill at 2 litres per hour, and and Bbox 360 takes 12 seconds to hit the ground when thrown off a 200 foot cliff- never mind.

No, keep going, I think this one was on my Maths A-level paper... :unsure:

@ Mr. Gerbik:

Yeah, extra power would certainly help. You're right in saying that a lot of the trouble with Saturn emulation has been due to technical difficulties in actually emulating the two processors in the Saturn, but I believe it can be done. There's actually a pretty good Saturn emulator for the PC now (called Cassini, IIRC) but it requires a very beefy machine to run. It should definitely be within the realms of possibility to have a Saturn emulator running at a decent speed on a 360.

Whether or not it'll happen of course is anyone's guess.

But if hackers are generally cleverer now than they were before, does that not mean they need less ingenuity to do the same job? Or are you factoring in ingenuity to the equation of them being cleverer in the first place?

I just said they had better resources now - better financial backing and incentive, better/more equipment, they have the ability to manufacture fairly complex modboards now etc. I didn't say they were cleverer.

It's a moot point. If nobody can agree on what the phrase "more secure" means in the first place then it's a pointless discussion anyway.

And Happy Christmas to you too! :unsure:

What exactly can you do with a modded Gamecube?

I've been thinking of waiting for the 360 to be hacked (to a point where its definetly worth buying over a regular 360) and buying one then, my main reason for it would be to watch any video format from my computer on a big screen and to make DVD's and games region free. How long do you reckon it will be before that is possible?

What exactly can you do with a modded Gamecube?

I've been thinking of waiting for the 360 to be hacked (to a point where its definetly worth buying over a regular 360) and buying one then, my main reason for it would be to watch any video format from my computer on a big screen and to make DVD's and games region free. How long do you reckon it will be before that is possible?

According to my"Highly secret and reliable source " in asia(korea), you ll have to wait for at least 3 months for this kind of modchip to apear

this is obviously a trick math question. if J Allard's bath only fills up at a rate of 2 litres per hour, then obvious the bastard has a slow leak and he needs to replace the seals in his plumbing (or in J's case, call a plumber that he can "get real with" while the hired help is fixed said leak.

at the current (slow as a snail) filling rate, he would be wasting almost 4,600 gallons of water over the course of a year in a bathroom that he probably doesn't even realise exists in his 10,000sq. ft home. or in the case that he's taken a one year holiday and the drain was shut, he would return to a house with a good portion of the lower level of his house becoming a rather large wading pool.

in the above scenario, our man better have a flood rider on his home-owner's insurance policy or he's shit out of luck.

in your second example, an object reaches maximum velocity (which is a rate of approx. 60+ fps) within a few seconds. so, unless this so-called cliff is located on the moon (or some other alternate reality space with less than 1A gravity), there's no way that the system would take 12 secs. to reach the ground.

now for bonus points, what in f***'s sake do these two examples have to do with the original topic?

this is obviously a trick math question. if J Allard's bath only fills up at a rate of 2 litres per hour, then obvious the bastard has a slow leak and he needs to replace the seals in his plumbing (or in J's case, call a plumber that he can "get real with" while the hired help is fixed said leak.

at the current (slow as a snail) filling rate, he would be wasting almost 4,600 gallons of water over the course of a year in a bathroom that he probably doesn't even realise exists in his 10,000sq. ft home. or in the case that he's taken a one year holiday and the drain was shut, he would return to a house with a good portion of the lower level of his house becoming a rather large wading pool.

in the above scenario, our man better have a flood rider on his home-owner's insurance policy or he's shit out of luck.

in your second example, an object reaches maximum velocity (which is a rate of approx. 60+ fps) within a few seconds. so, unless this so-called cliff is located on the moon (or some other alternate reality space with less than 1A gravity), there's no way that the system would take 12 secs. to reach the ground.

now for bonus points, what in f***'s sake do these two examples have to do with the original topic?

Sprite Machine's really Bill Gates

"thread of the week" comedy gold

Oh and for those who think the Gamecube was a super secure system, it wasn't. You can boot 8cm dvd-r on a gamecube using an action fricking replay (which cost all of £10) - and thats without a modchip, Heck that softmod option was avliable before the modchips were (the modchip bios are a direct development of the soft mod)

"thread of the week" comedy gold

Oh and for those who think the Gamecube was a super secure system, it wasn't. You can boot 8cm dvd-r on a gamecube using an action fricking replay (which cost all of £10) - and thats without a modchip, Heck that softmod option was avliable before the modchips were (the modchip bios are a direct development of the soft mod)

Never heard of that. Are you sure?