IGNORED

Amiga Starting Point

Rev

Technically this is ask the forum stuff - but I figured it might as well sit here.

I wouldn't mind going back and playing a few old Amiga games. I do technically own a 500 with RAM upgrade, but I can never be bothered to set it up. And then mess around with discs.

So I thought maybe a CD32 wouldn't be a bad idea. It can sit in the console unit in the games room - well, when it's finished - and it would fit in nicely. Plus I always wanted one at the time - CD's! And 16 Million Colours! What more could you want?

Well...is it worth it? £30 seems a fair price with a handful of games which is the Ebay going rate it seems. I'm not in any rush so I can probably pick up a bargain with some patience. I don't fancy waiting for one to show up at a bootsale...

So waddaya thunk? Good idea or bad idea?

And to bring it retro, what games were worth it? Either exclusive or the wonderful world of lazy A1200 ports. And, more crucially - the CD32 version of Superfrog doesn't have anything wrong with it, does it. Great game that. Technically I have it for the PC, but we'll forget that for now.

Another vote here for an A1200/extra RAM/hard drive. If you can pick up an A1200 with a RAM expansion card then I can sort out a hard drive and a suitable stick of RAM.

The CD32 is ok, but rather limited - it's very difficult to find a CD32-compatible keyboard, which rules out any games which require key presses. I think it's still relatively expensive to track down any of the CD32 expansions for adding a floppy drive/hard drive etc, so it's not really worth upgrading either.

The final nail in the coffin must surely be that disgusting official CD32 pad. *shudders*

The final nail in the coffin must surely be that disgusting official CD32 pad. *shudders*

It was only yesterday I realised you hold it the other way up...

An A1200 with hard-drive does neaten it all up a bit, a bit less messing around with discs. It just feels a bit like commitment - like I ought to spend time with it rather than just sitting down, playing a game with a frog in a cape, dying and then wandering off to play Halo 2. Or whatever.

Although I have got the disc version of Monkey Island 2 kicking around...hmm.

Y'see. This is why I opened the floor!

You could always get an a1200 with an HD, then find the CD expansion for it. As said it's very difficult to find a cd32-compatible keyboard (even with the sx-1 you still need one with a DIN socket I think, which is pre-ps2). On the other hand if you can find an appropriate keyboard, a cd32 with a HD and an sx-32 would do the job just as well.

An sx-1 allows you to use a ps2 keyboard (I think) but doesn't have as many inputs as the sx-32 and is quite fussy about being installed right and the socket is quite sensitive to being knocked.

If you do get a CD32 try to find a copy of Jetstrike (the CD32 edition).

One of the last great British games of that era.

Welcome to the place where my thought process started. Retrogamer 19. Jetstrike sounded ace. Then I deviated to Super Frog and Sensi and thought "I wouldn't mind getting an Amiga - I wonder if the CD32 would be a good idea"

Non-chronological threads. It's the future.

I bought a CD32 for the same reasons as you - easy access to all my fave amiga games. Sesni soccer was the main aim and i got some joysticks to plug in etc.

However i found that for what ever reason many games didnt play the same on the cd32 as they did on the Amiga i had in the past, certinally sensi felt wrong.

I ended up buying an Amiga 600 + 1200 via the forums for my sensi fix. Then i sold them both as i couldnt be bothered with disk swapping and loading times etc.

I didnt really think about upgrading and adding a HDD - if i where to get the Amiga buzz again (he says with ebay tab on amiga 1200's :/) i would go for a 1200 + hdd fo sure !

It was only yesterday I realised you hold it the other way up...

An A1200 with hard-drive does neaten it all up a bit, a bit less messing around with discs. It just feels a bit like commitment - like I ought to spend time with it rather than just sitting down, playing a game with a frog in a cape, dying and then wandering off to play Halo 2. Or whatever.

Although I have got the disc version of Monkey Island 2 kicking around...hmm.

Y'see. This is why I opened the floor!

Pay Yod@ money to set up an Amiga for you (i.e. installing a HDD + software) and it'll be the best dosh you've ever spent...

I bought a CD32 for the same reasons as you - easy access to all my fave amiga games. Sesni soccer was the main aim and i got some joysticks to plug in etc.

However i found that for what ever reason many games didnt play the same on the cd32 as they did on the Amiga i had in the past, certinally sensi felt wrong.

I ended up buying an Amiga 600 + 1200 via the forums for my sensi fix. Then i sold them both as i couldnt be bothered with disk swapping and loading times etc.

I didnt really think about upgrading and adding a HDD - if i where to get the Amiga buzz again (he says with ebay tab on amiga 1200's :/) i would go for a 1200 + hdd fo sure !

Damn you and your voice of reason and experience. Hmm.

Backburner it is then.

Damn you and your voice of reason and experience. Hmm.

Backburner it is then.

If i give you a few phone numbers could you let them know i am a voice of reason and experience :D :D

Ive had so many consoles and computers over time its not even funny, i get a bee in my bonet and a week later i have another rash purchase that i will play on once and eventually sell for a loss ;)

The thrill is in the chase and very rarely in the end purchase !!!!

If i give you a few phone numbers could you let them know i am a voice of reason and experience :angry:;)

Ive had so many consoles and computers over time its not even funny, i get a bee in my bonet and a week later i have another rash purchase that i will play on once and eventually sell for a loss :P

The thrill is in the chase and very rarely in the end purchase !!!!

:o

Fair enough. I'm similar but a little better...a little.