IGNORED

Most Graphically Impressive Amiga Game?

alan cummings

yeah well....10 years on....

TBH, no one really pushed the Amiga in the arcade game front - most conversions were very unplayable, even if graphically close - but we had nothing else until the NES and Master System came along and brought that feeling of smoothness back again.

On the shooter front - Few games arcade conversions had the playabilty of something like Armalyte, or Hades Nebula on the 64.

Rainbow Islands and SWIV were exceptions.

Nearly all the Amiga's great games were orignal (no bad thing), its just IMO, the arcades were still very stong and churning some great stuff in the same parrallel timespan.

I mean the NES and Master System's where graphically inferior, yet because you had arcade industry players programming the roms, the gameplay and arcade catalog forced many people, myself included to make the switch.

This was solidified when the SNES and Megadrive made their PAL appearence.

Afterbirth, I always mention this, over and over again, endlessly, repetitively, pointlessly... *pauses for breath* ...but Silkworm on the Amiga was bloody amazing. They re-drew all the sprites, wonderfully, the backgrounds looked beautiful as well. And it plays better than the arcade game, partly thanks to the aspect ratio (they made it "widescreen" to keep the framerate up, it still drops from 50 to 25 in places but it was throwing a lot of sprites around), but mainly due to the fact that its... well, better.

But yeah, to back up your point, Banshee, Project X, Uridium 2; all looked beautiful but played like shit.

Oh yeah....I totally agree, i just didn't have that game in mind when i posted.

I mean, to reinforce my point,

The Amiga version of Capcom's UN Squadron (and Forgotten Worlds) were nothing like as smooth and as you know, its important to maintain that in something like a shooter.

Like the C64 before it, it was capable of producing a mean game when pushed...both Armalyte and Nemesis are fine examples - but there was also a lot of shite conversions to wade through and the Amiga suffered because many 3rd rate companies just wanted the conversions pushed out.

The consoles suffered this also, but to nothing like the same degree.

Oh yeah....I totally agree, i just didn't have that game in mind when i posted.

I mean, to reinforce my point,

The Amiga version of Capcom's UN Squadron (and Forgotten Worlds) were nothing like as smooth and as you know, its important to maintain that in something like a shooter.

Like the C64 before it, it was capable of producing a mean game when pushed...both Armalyte and Nemesis are fine examples - but there was also a lot of shite conversions to wade through and the Amiga suffered because many 3rd rate companies just wanted the conversions pushed out.

The consoles suffered this also, but to nothing like the same degree.

I remember reading in The One years ago a work in progress report on Forgotten Worlds and the team developing it just had a jamma board of the game to go by. No original code to look through or graphics dumps, they just had to play the game and sort of approximate it on the Amiga :( . Like you mentioned above, the megadrive and SNES versions of a lot of games were done in-house by the developers that made the originals.

Amiga R-type was another good one, just for the sake of reference, but yeah, you're right, for every good port there were dozens of shoddy ones.

HA. I remember that issue too.

I was thinking of that when i typed. I used to love the 'WOPS' in the one.

Everything was broken down into almost anal detail and they'd get really technical at times.

Course, i never understood it much, but loved the way they explain how they were coaxing more from the chipsets.

Its one of the reasons i still buy Edge (only they don't have the game sprites effectively plastered all over the screen on graph paper).

I remember reading in The One years ago a work in progress report on Forgotten Worlds and the team developing it just had a jamma board of the game to go by. No original code to look through or graphics dumps, they just had to play the game and sort of approximate it on the Amiga  ;) . Like you mentioned above, the megadrive and SNES versions of a lot of games were done in-house by the developers that made the originals.

Amiga R-type was another good one, just for the sake of reference, but yeah, you're right, for every good port there were dozens of shoddy ones.

I seem to remember thinking the original R-Type was pretty shoddy, but the sequel was a great conversion.

HOL seems to back me up, but I cant seem to link to the images from there.

R-Type

R-Type 2

Didn't the Amiga version have the fade in background missing from the first level of RType 1?

I'm sure one of them did. I know one version had the background start at the same time the entrance to the Bydo base did - without parrallax, which kinda peeved me off a bit.

Didn't the Amiga version have the fade in background missing from the first level of RType 1?

Yeah you got used to graphical effects like that being left out of lazy amiga arcade ports.

I always thought this looked lovely, but never played it. Downloading it now though, to check out on UAE...

deliverance_02.png

deliverance_06.png

HA. I remember that issue too.

I was thinking of that when i typed. I used to love the 'WOPS' in the one.

Everything was broken down into almost anal detail and they'd get really technical at times.

Course, i never understood it much, but loved the way they explain how they were coaxing more from the chipsets.

Its one of the reasons i still buy Edge (only they don't have the game sprites effectively plastered all over the screen on graph paper).

I think that issue also featured the Rainbow Islands w.i.p.

Man, I loved that stuff.

Go into Google image search and do a search for 't-zero amiga', and behold the best looking Amiga shoot-em-up.

It's an absolutely stunning game, but I found it a complete swine to load. It needs pretty much all of the 2 meg slow mem in an Amiga 1200, plus 8 megs of fast ram and a minimum of a 68030 processor.

Also, do an image search for 'onescapee amiga'. It's without doubt the best looking (and sounding) Flashback clone ever.

all of these tiny screened amiga games look the business on uae xbox. stretched to full screen, prog scan (if u have it), music through amp, 'up' jump edited to a button. its a brilliant way to play turrican 2 for example.

Go into Google image search and do a search for 't-zero amiga', and behold the best looking Amiga shoot-em-up.

It's an absolutely stunning game, but I found it a complete swine to load. It needs pretty much all of the 2 meg slow mem in an Amiga 1200, plus 8 megs of fast ram and a minimum of a 68030 processor.

Also, do an image search for 'onescapee amiga'. It's without doubt the best looking (and sounding) Flashback clone ever.

:(

Now I realise the need for getting an external CD Rom for my A1200......damn this forum :blink:

bubba_n_stix.gif

Bubba n' Stix.

Only ever had the demo but I remember playing the hell out of it.

Ah! Completely forgot about that one. Frustrating as hell on the later levels (I got stuck in the end on the space port level so I never finished it...) but amazing animation!

Now this...

overkill1.jpg

... was one of the best AGA only games IMO. Doesn't look like much from a screen shot but the scrolling and the explosions were awesome, and no black borders either.