Sticky Chicken And Lemon Couscous

Hello all, and welcome to the show. Today we'll be cooking some lovely Sticky Chicken - guaranteed to please - with Lemon Couscous. Mmmmm. Tasty nice! Hope you enjoy it...

Anyhow, what you'll need...

FOR THE STICKY CHICKEN:

Chicken, chopped up into big-toe sized pieces. Normally 150-200g per person.

Lemon Juice

Sweet Chilli Sauce

Worcester Sauce

Soy Sauce

FOR THE COUSCOUS:

Dried Couscous - about 100g per person

Lemon Zest (from your lemon you juiced above!)

A red pepper, chopped into small pieces

A chilli pepper - deseeded

A few Spring Onions, chopped

Olive Oil

Lemon Juice (again, sorry)

1/2 pint hot water

Random herbage - I'd suggest basil and coriander, but hey, go nuts

Salt & Pepper

WHAT YOU DO:

OK. A couple of hours in advance, take your chopped up chicken and get in in a bowl with a liberal splash of the lemon juice. Add some salt and pepper, cover with clingfilm and put in the fridge. This breaks down the protein strings (according to the scientific GF) and keeps the chicken tender when cooked - plus it adds good flavour.

Anyhow, when you're ready to cook, get the kettle on. Pour the couscous into a bowl with the lemon zest, herbs, salt and pepper. Add the boiling water and the lemon juice, stir it up with a fork, cover with a teatowel and leave to the side. The couscous will take on the liquid, so you can forget about it for a bit while it does it's thing.

Get your pan on a good heat, and put in a good glug of olive oil. Throw in the (now white - proteins breaking down!) chicken and cook for a couple of minutes. Turn the heat right down, then put in your various sauces - Soy, Sweet Chilli and Worcester. The resultant liquid will be a rich dark colour, and there's no correct amount as to how much of each to use. I personally like mine to be quite sweet, so use a bit more Chilli sauce than the others - experiment and work out what you prefer.

Leave the chicken on the low heat with the sauce bubbling away, and check out your couscous. Try it out - if it's still a bit crunchy, add a little more hot water. At this point, also put in the chopped pepper, spring onions and deseeded chilli, as well a little glug of olive oil. Stir the whole thing around again and make sure that the chopped stuff is well in the mix - the heat from the couscous will cook them a little, but they'll still retain a good crunch. Cover again, and it's back to the chicken.

Turn the heat up a bit, just to get the sauce bubbling a bit more. If you feel that it needs a bit more liquid in there LEAVE IT. The magic is about to happen. Keep stirring the chicken around, while gradually increasing the heat. After a couple of minutes, the sauce will thicken as the sugars within break down. Keep moving the chicken round the pan, and the pieces will start to collect it all, themselves turning a deep caramel colour. Your mixing implement will start collecting the sticky stuff too, but leave it til your finished cooking - then pick it off an eat it yourself!

Anyway, when the chicken pieces are coated in this molasses-style stuff, turn off the heat and leave it to sit for a moment of two. Get your couscous out of the bowl and serve it up, with a couple of basil leaves stirred through at the end if you're feeling fancy. Pop the chicken on top, hurl all the dirties into the sink, sit down and eat!

Hope you enjoy it. I think I've covered everything, but if there's anything you want to know, give me a shout :)

Ta!

Sticky Chicken with Lemon Couscous receipe...

Sounds good and congratulations on your victory!

I think I'll try it with thighs, as they're tastier and moister than breast, and they have little bits of fat that crisp up nicely.

Do you eat it with any veg? I suspect a green leaf salad might go nicely with this.

Yeah, a nice mix of salad leaves is all I'd have with it - the veggies in the couscous are generally enough for me. I think it's a good idea to try the thighs - the GF isn't a big fan of them, but maybe I can sneak them in next time...

I made this, it was very nice, but I used too much lemon in the couscous, and I made too much sauce so it didnt boil down to stickyness very well, but i'll deffinatly be making it again, better this time.

We had this for tea tonight, and it was really good. I think I did the opposite of Gaz though - not enough lemon juice in the cous cous.

mrs lfj liked it and would award it 7/10, she thought the cous cous didn't need the pepper and overall it was a bit dry. Perhaps the sauce needed building up a bit - double the quantity and reserve half before it goes sticky to pour over the top.

I made this last night and it was pretty good.

I feel the recommended amount of Cous Cous was a bit to much and the lemon on the chicken gets over powered by the sauce, but it was nice. I used a liberal amount of olive oil and fresh lemon juice on the Cous Cous which worked very well.

Made it tonight, very good. Couscous is a bit strange isn't it? Or maye we're not used to it. It was good though, I stuck a bit of honey in the sauce as it was much too lemony and wasn't caramelising like it said, then it all came together very well.

Thanks Michael!

• 3 weeks later...

Had this last night. Looked great, tasted great. I have a bit left over that I'm going to have for lunch today.

I only had time to marinade the chicken for 45mins, but because I used thighs, it was still nice and tender, and not at all dry like breast can be. The sauce came out brilliantly, though I wonder whether I'll remember how much of each I used next time I try it (a bit like George's Marvellous Medicine).

I added some chopped parsley and coriander to the cous cous because they go so well with it, and a bit more olive oil just before serving to make it nice and moist.

Excellent recipe!

• 1 month later...

Had this for tea last week. Much like Farley, I added a little honey to make it that little bit sweeter and stickier. It was fucking magic. Highly recommended.

I'd say about 80g of Cous Cous is enough for one person, with a decent helping of chicken, though. The full hundred was a bit much.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect this but I followed the link from the girlfriend thread in ATF. Can anyone who's made it give me some rough idea of quantities for the sauce if you're making it for two? Also, chicken thighs - do you cook them on the bone or dice them beforehand? Cheers.

Tried this yesterday, was lovely! As for measurements:

Soy Sauce (2 Tablespoons).

Wor Sauce (2 Tablespoons).

Sweet Chili (3 Tablespoons).

That's what we used and it was lovely and sticky and not too overpowered by any taste.

Cheers for the great post! :wub:

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
When I tried this, the couscous was a bit bland. Is that generally how couscous turns out? Or did I just not use enough flavouring?

Yeah, exactly that. Couscous is like any staple starch - see it as a base for the flavour rather than a flavour itself. Think plain boiled potatoes or plain white rice - nothing too exciting flavour wise, but a great flavour holder. So just throw on the flavour. Plenty of lemon juice, olive oil (or even better, if you've got a jar of grilled veg or sundried tomatoes in oil, use this instead), salt and pepper and lots of fresh zingy herbs.

I actually tend to prefer my couscous cold (i.e. add ingredients, pop in fridge, let couscous soak up flavours, serve) but that may be just me. Always seems tastier that way!

Looking to knock this up tomorrow night actually - really looking forward to it. If I remember, i'll post a photo or two, not that I'm any Ramsay or anything, so don't expect amaze presentation!

I made this last night.

I have to say, I enjoyed throwing caution to the wind, and just cooking it, as opposed to laboriously following a recipe word-for-word from a sanitised cookbook. Just throw it in! Have some of that! Go on, cook it you devil! Scenes of wild abandon in the kitchen.

Ahem. Anyway, the end result was damn fine. Unhappily, the local supermarket didn't have plain couscous, so I had to use some of that Ainsley Harriot flavoured stuff - still chucked in the lemon, spring onion, pepper and chilli, though. It was awesome. Also made enough to have for lunch today (though next time I will make MOAR!)

When I tried this, the couscous was a bit bland. Is that generally how couscous turns out? Or did I just not use enough flavouring?

Instead of adding plain boiling water, try adding veg/chicken stock. Get something like Bouillon powder, which comes in a tin, rather than cubes, as it's more versatile. It's a quick and easy way of adding flavour. You can still add other flavourings once it's cooked, but at least you start off with something less bland to begin with.

I add a couple of teaspoons of the stuff to water when I cook pasta or rice, sometimes new potatoes too.

• 4 weeks later...

Man, I really should fire up another of my random recipes up on here and see how it goes down... I make a decent indecent chicken korma (it's indecent because it's insanely bad for you...) - any takers?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...