Gaming Podcasts

Beertiger

I don't mind it as much as things like Gamespot video reviews though. some monotone-voiced guy going on about save systems or something for 40 minutes, and repeating the phrase "hardcore fps playerzzz" over and over. they're games, no need to over-analyse!

I find the podcast a lot more bearable. It's just a roundtable chat about various gaming subjects and the weeks news. The 'TV' show concentrates on so many games I'm just not interested in

Like Tom said, after the suicidally montone reviews from Gamespot these guys come across as genuine enthusiats.

What the hell is Pure Pwnage?

Listened to a few of the podcasts they're more like the show was before it got boring and they started doing little sketches. They remind me a lot of Gaming Noise as well. Now that was a brilliant gaming podcast in the days long before the word podcast.

This weeks episode looks much better. Metroid Prime Hunters, Battlefield 2 360 and Okami. Decent games should mean decent conversation.

"Hey, is that Untold Legends you're playing? How weird that you should interrupt out table-top roleplaying with that particular game we've all prepared some notes on!"

I wish they'd just cut the crap out of it and just have them talking about the games, that's where the entertainment is.

I thought it was one of the best I've seen for a while. When the group were talking about MGS: Subsistance, they were genuinely getting into it. You could see the bloke defending it was getting wound up, then also the bloke arguing his points about the controls was adamant about getting them across. That's actually when the show is at its best for me, it's obviously got direction for what they want to talk about but once they get going the guards drop and you see them as people genuinely passionate about games.

Take FFXII, there's pointless build up of showing the journalist anxiously waiting for the game a few times but when he does get it and is playing it, after the obligatory points of how it plays a bit like an MMO etc are put across, they get into how cute the moogles look and then needlessly sprawl into what Final Fantasy they love the most with onlookers gawping at the TV as he plays XII. It really can be top stuff sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

This weeks episode is the best i've seen from the 1up show in a long time. There are some great interviews with Takahashi, Ueda and Mizuguchi, Oblivion discussion and GDC speech highlights from Will Wright and Iwata.

Also, i'm definitely buying a copy of Brain Age now.

Worst ever pretentious interview question:

"What is fun?"

Love the show, but that bit had me cringing.

Actually...I fast-forwarded through most of the GDC footage, with the exception of the Katamari/SotC interview and the Brain Age stuff. It would have been a bit of a "meh" episode for me, but they covered Oblivion and Brain Age, both of which had me drooling, so I wasn't so bothered by the rest. Even so, the main strength of the show is (IMO) that it's mostly about a group of gamers talking about games and game-related news - that's what keeps it interesting. An episode like this, where they cut most of that out in favour of developer speeches and such, really shows that if you take that out you're not left with much.

Then again, maybe I'm the only one who thought that the GDC speeches were tedious crap ;)