Gaming Podcasts

Beertiger

15 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Actually sorry to tag you again @elmo but cheers for the back page pod recommendation. It’s really very good and I’d recommend it to anyone here, especially if you grew up reading games mags.

https://mobile.twitter.com/backpagepod?lang=en

Yep, I've been listening to this as well based on Dave's recommendation and it's great.

I’ll give backpage pod a go. Despite continued trying I have still never been able to get into another gaming podcast other than TCGS. I’ve tried...

Beastcast

Giant Bomb

Ready Player One

Games Done Good

And a few others. 

Every single one rubs me up the wrong way with endless banter that I’m not interested in or opinions that get on my nerves. I’m well aware as well that anybody coming into TCGS fresh is likely to feel the same. It’s what you’re used to. 

@Yiggy I listen to Beastcast and Ready Player One as well and enjoy them, but not as much as TCGS.

The Special Moves podcast is quite good - 3 British blokes discussing the news and what they've been playing, quite similar to TCGS but not as long. I also like the IGN UK Podcast, which is a bit sillier and I can see why some people wouldn't like it, but I find it entertaining enough. Triple Click, an American podcast featuring Jason Schreier and a couple of other journalists, is quite insightful, too, if a bit... yuppie, if that's the word. I'll occasionally listen to the Games Industry.biz podcast as well, if it's a subject I'm interested in. Same for Cane and Rinse and Watch Out for Fireballs, which tend to focus on specific games. Too many podcasts!

TCGS and The Crate and Crowbar are my regular listens. The Crate and Crowbar is an excellent PC gaming podcast that spawned from the old PCGUK one, and has a good rotating mix of current and former UK games journalists. I found it complimented TCGS nicely, as that focusses mainly on console games.

11 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Yep, I've been listening to this as well based on Dave's recommendation and it's great.

Love the anecdote in episode 2 about giving a 10 to Skyward Sword in Edge and the old N64 mag writer getting in contact. 

11 hours ago, Yiggy said:

I’ll give backpage pod a go. Despite continued trying I have still never been able to get into another gaming podcast other than TCGS. I’ve tried...

Beastcast

Giant Bomb

Ready Player One

Games Done Good

And a few others. 

Every single one rubs me up the wrong way with endless banter that I’m not interested in or opinions that get on my nerves. I’m well aware as well that anybody coming into TCGS fresh is likely to feel the same. It’s what you’re used to. 

I don't want like any of them either, besides TCGS, which is a weekly highlight. You never given Cane and Rinse a go, though? Even as a Patreon and someone who really enjoys the show, I wouldn't say that it's heavy on the bants or jokes. 

My favourite podcast over the last year or so is Video Wizards by Michiel Kroder (from C&R) and Ben Cartlidge of One Credit Classics. It's a look back at an individual year in gaming, covering the arcades and home console releases, as well as pop culture and contemporary local news and stuff. It's fun and quite light but also really passionate, knowledgeable and well researched. It's a monthly thing, as well. Very warmly recommended. 

On 19/01/2021 at 18:33, Sarlaccfood said:

Actually sorry to tag you again @elmo but cheers for the back page pod recommendation. It’s really very good and I’d recommend it to anyone here, especially if you grew up reading games mags.

This is great, thanks for posting. This is right up my street. 2006 was right in the middle of my uni years and their special was a lovely listen. 

It’s great isn’t it? Can remember Samuel Roberts guesting on Chet and Jon’s when that used to run. As soon as I saw his name attached I knew it would be worth a try 

11 hours ago, Marlew said:

I don't want like any of them either, besides TCGS, which is a weekly highlight. You never given Cane and Rinse a go, though? Even as a Patreon and someone who really enjoys the show, I wouldn't say that it's heavy on the bants or jokes. 

My favourite podcast over the last year or so is Video Wizards by Michiel Kroder (from C&R) and Ben Cartlidge of One Credit Classics. It's a look back at an individual year in gaming, covering the arcades and home console releases, as well as pop culture and contemporary local news and stuff. It's fun and quite light but also really passionate, knowledgeable and well researched. It's a monthly thing, as well. Very warmly recommended. 

Thanks for the tip. I do like Cane and Rinse but don’t have it in my regulars as I only like it for games I’ve actually played. Another post reminded me that I used to love Chet & Jon’s when that was on. Will try video wizards. I guess ultimately I don’t mind just having one video game show in my list, especially as I have so many shows on other subjects.

• 2 weeks later...

https://rangedtouch.com/game-studies-study-buddies/

May not be your bag but it is different from the 'what you been playing' type of cast.

Games Studies Study Buddies is a podcast that makes academic games studies accessible, text by text. Rather than focusing on following or forging a “canon” of the discipline, media scholar Cameron and literature scholar Michael instead aim to cover an eclectic body of material. And while we are centrally focused on contemporary videogames, you can expect our discussions (and the work we cover) to account for everything from Dungeons & Dragons to tic-tac-toe.

Texts are chosen in pairs, juxtaposing the old and new or the popular and obscure. Each episode is a discussion of a single text, walking through its arguments, posing clarifying or complicating questions, relating it to anything else we’ve read, and situating it within the larger study of games and the critical study of media and culture.

Yep, the recommendation on TCGS made me give Back Page Pod a go and it’s totally brilliant. Some great insight into mag production, lots of funny anecdotes, and the easy chemistry between Sam and Matthew is lovely to listen to. I’d thoroughly recommend it to anyone who’s ever liked reading games mags.

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

Yep, the recommendation on TCGS made me give Back Page Pod a go and it’s totally brilliant. Some great insight into mag production, lots of funny anecdotes, and the easy chemistry between Sam and Matthew is lovely to listen to. I’d thoroughly recommend it to anyone who’s ever liked reading games mags.

This week's episode, where they go through their games of the generation, is great. Looking forward to the conclusion next week.

I miss the good old days of Videogamer podcast :( That was the ultimate in my opinion.

I listen to Beastcast these days.

Tried TCGS a couple of times (think it was their game of the year and then one after), but it was like being sat behind a table of annoying fellas having banter at the pub.. taking it in turns to take the mick out of each other. They spent most of the time doing that and I just wanted to hear about video games. Might give it a go again to see if that was just a wrong first impression.

35 minutes ago, Marvin Morris said:

Tried TCGS a couple of times (think it was their game of the year and then one after), but it was like being sat behind a table of annoying fellas having banter at the pub.. taking it in turns to take the mick out of each other. 

:lol:

Copy this into their feedback form and send it in to them.

8 hours ago, Marvin Morris said:

I miss the good old days of Videogamer podcast :( That was the ultimate in my opinion.

I listen to Beastcast these days.

Tried TCGS a couple of times (think it was their game of the year and then one after), but it was like being sat behind a table of annoying fellas having banter at the pub.. taking it in turns to take the mick out of each other. They spent most of the time doing that and I just wanted to hear about video games. Might give it a go again to see if that was just a wrong first impression.

Nope that’s the most spot on first impression I think I’ve ever read tbf

For your listening pleasure... Episode 1 of Zapped to the Past is now live.

https://zappedtothepast.com/

It's only on Podbean at the moment but will be added to all the big podcast sites over the next few weeks as approval can take time to get on them all.

Give it a listen if you like c64 games. I make no apologies if we did not like games that you may love... Yes, it's retro, but it's still about games...

I've been listening to Watch Out For Fireballs a lot after listening to the hosts on Bonfireside Chat, and enjoying their insight and lack of banter. Also the tastes of the presenters match my own. It's a pretty simple premise, describe a game in detail, but I'm really enjoying hearing discussions and thoughtful opinions, rather than jokes and one-upmanship (not a slight on anybodies podcast here!).

@therearerules I would say it's my favourite gaming podcast overall. There is a lot of humour, in my experience, and it is sometimes extraordinarily nerdy humour but I just love the dynamic and intelligence and articulacy. Zero banter, though. You're right. Not that I dislike banter. TCGS is the one I probably look forward to most each week. Cane and Rise and Video Wizards also both brilliant but my interest can depend on what's covered. 

Yep, Watch Out for Fireballs is great. Two obviously smart blokes talking on things they're clearly passionate about. I like how they don't pander to the latest releases, either.

I've mentioned it before, but their 6 hour analysis of Disco Elysium I enjoyed nearly as much as the game itself. Here's part one (massive spoilers, obviously):

They're both big table-top and CRPG nerds, so to hear them talk about how Disco takes the rules of those genres and then breaks them is great.

35 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Yep, Watch Out for Fireballs is great. Two obviously smart blokes talking on things they're clearly passionate about. I like how they don't pander to the latest releases, either.

I've mentioned it before, but their 6 hour analysis of Disco Elysium I enjoyed nearly as much as the game itself. Here's part one (massive spoilers, obviously):

They're both big table-top and CRPG nerds, so to hear them talk about how Disco takes the rules of those genres and then breaks them is great.

Bonfireside Chat is from the same two guys and is a great deep dive into all the Souls games.  Definitely recommend it if you like From Software.

3 minutes ago, Mafro said:

Bonfireside Chat is from the same two guys and is a great deep dive into all the Souls games.  Definitely recommend it if you like From Software.

Yep, that's how I found out about the pod! :)

Abject Suffering is great too but much more goofy and can go very offbeat. I really like these two though and always find them easy and fun listening.

1 hour ago, DC said:

Abject Suffering is great too but much more goofy and can go very offbeat. I really like these two though and always find them easy and fun listening.

Is that the one where they play crap games?

6 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Is that the one where they play crap games?

Yes. I also loved the one where Gary and Jeremy talked about X-Men cartoons and films but I had to stop listening to that when they moved to the comic, as I haven’t read them. They do a lot of shows, in various forms.