Gaming Podcasts

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

I thought this was hilarious. The bead of sweat rolling down David Cage's midriff was delightfully horrible.

As much as each episode has become a highlight of my week, they do half talk some old bollocks. Why are none of them (bar Murray) interested in Demon Souls?! James and Dave both immediately said they weren't interested, even after they both waxed lyrical about Dark Souls and did a whole separate podcast about it. And all of them are too wet to play Resi 8, despite agreeing how good it looks! :lol:

I said I was looking forward to Resi 8 and will play it!

26 minutes ago, jcafarley said:

I said I was looking forward to Resi 8 and will play it!

Ok, fair enough - I take it back. You were the only one hard enough to play 7, I suppose!

Why no love for Demon Souls, though? And did you ever get round to playing Dark Souls 2 after one of the listeners sent you a copy towards the end of Dark Calls?

15 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

So when did TCGS turn into the Giant Bombcast? I thought I’d give the PS5 special a go and it took like 45 minutes to get to the PS5 stuff and it’s 3 hours long!

Thanks for the heads up.

The show could really do with timestamps for the feedback, news and what we've been playing sections.

@elmo Just wanted to say its super impressive you and the guys are still casting out after all these years - how long has it been now since you started the OG Joypod?

25 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I wish they would move feedback to the end. Like the corrections on the Beastcast - it’s at the end so you can just turn it off. 

Some of the stuff they get for the feedback section is corrections, but a lot of it is in direct response to the points made in the previous show, so it keeps a dialogue going. It would seem odd if it was at the end, I think, after they've just spent 90+ minutes talking about new things.

What I'd like is if they just mentioned whether they were still playing certain games that they had been playing in the previous episode or if they'd abandoned them, and, if so, why. With FF7 Remake, for example, one week they were all talking about how great it was, then the next week it wasn't really mentioned much at all. They do this some of the time, but occasionally I'll want to hear about how far they've progressed with a particular game and whether it's worth seeing through to the end, but it's not spoken about much.

I'm loving the show as it is, and feedback works well at the start. It addresses last week's topics before moving on to new stuff, and helps break things up more too instead of having all the emails at the end.

I'm only up to the Farley fan-fic so far this week but it's hilarious. :D

The Farley fan-fic was one of the funniest things I've ever heard on the show. It builds and builds, Dave's narration is great, the accents, the terrible music, James's feigned indifference... perfect!

Good luck with the emails to the Pod over the next few weeks, @jcafarley:lol:

7 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Some of the stuff they get for the feedback section is corrections, but a lot of it is in direct response to the points made in the previous show, so it keeps a dialogue going. It would seem odd if it was at the end, I think, after they've just spent 90+ minutes talking about new things.

What I'd like is if they just mentioned whether they were still playing certain games that they had been playing in the previous episode or if they'd abandoned them, and, if so, why. With FF7 Remake, for example, one week they were all talking about how great it was, then the next week it wasn't really mentioned much at all. They do this some of the time, but occasionally I'll want to hear about how far they've progressed with a particular game and whether it's worth seeing through to the end, but it's not spoken about much.

exactly this. Having feedback at the end makes absolutely no sense to me. Having said that ‘Because HarryBizzle Doesn’t Like That Bit’ might be enough to get us to reformat the show, we’ll see.

As for FF7 we certainly went over our journey with that game (I mentioned why I suddenly dropped off of it, mat spoke about completing it etc.) however we have been guilty of that in the past, it’s something I’ll keep in mind going forward for sure.

21 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Why no love for Demon Souls, though? And did you ever get round to playing Dark Souls 2 after one of the listeners sent you a copy towards the end of Dark Calls?

I think it's just the amount of time and effort that goes in to playing a Souls game that puts me off going back. I started 2 several times but never got very far. I will go back one day, I've been hoping for a Switch release of it. The listener who sent me the game was an old friend from secondary school! I still feel bad that I haven't finished it.

@jcafarley If you ever fancy getting psyched up for one more Souls game, I'd recommend holding on for Demon's. I absolutely adore DS2 but Demon's is something pretty special and very atmospheric. I'm revisiting it at the moment and it's still best in class in some respects, despite being the first. It can be obtuse, but its highlights are genuinely distinct. 

2 hours ago, elmo said:

exactly this. Having feedback at the end makes absolutely no sense to me. Having said that ‘Because HarryBizzle Doesn’t Like That Bit’ might be enough to get us to reformat the show, we’ll see.

I’m the first to admit I’m (talkin’ bout’ bugsnax) not a regular listener, so yeah, I wouldn’t bother.

Enjoyed this one, though.

9 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’m the first to admit I’m (talkin’ bout’ bugsnax) not a regular listener, so yeah, I wouldn’t bother.

Enjoyed this one, though.

Ah ok we’ll leave it as it is.

Listening to the TCGS Bonus Show, and every single time Dave says 'peri-peri chicken' I get instant flashbacks to the old Joypod episode that Capone edited where the first hint something was up was Dave repeatedly saying 'peri-peri chicken' like a record skipping and developing into almost a beat. 

Grinning like a loon every time.

I’ve been loving Dark Calls as I’ve been playing through the game for the first time, and had saved the last two episodes to listen to this weekend, but keep getting an error saying they’re unavailable. 

Can anyone else get them?

@elmo, @jcafarley

22 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

I’ve been loving Dark Calls as I’ve been playing through the game for the first time, and had saved the last two episodes to listen to this weekend, but keep getting an error saying they’re unavailable. 

Can anyone else get them?

@elmo, @jcafarley

I listened to the entire thing a couple of months ago on Google Podcasts.

35 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I listened to the entire thing a couple of months ago on Google Podcasts.

I tried a few times over the past few days with no luck.... just tried again and they've downloaded.... yay!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So where were you when @elmo did the comedy mini chief “hello!” then?  I was just coming onto Spaghetti Junction on the M6 and it tickled me pink. I was laughing so hard I had to turn the car stereo off in case I crashed into a lorry or something.  So cheers for the near death experience boys.  :hat:

18 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

So where were you when @elmo did the comedy mini chief “hello!” then?  I was just coming onto Spaghetti Junction on the M6 and it tickled me pink. I was laughing so hard I had to turn the car stereo off in case I crashed into a lorry or something.  So cheers for the near death experience boys.  :hat:

Nowhere yet, I've not got to this weeks episode yet, still working my way through the Bombcast ( it seems that drops before TCGS on iTunes ), but thanks for the spoiler, I'll just change my name to Kiaser Soze or something now :P