rllmuk
Beertiger

Gaming Podcasts

It’s pretty good, haven’t finished yet, need to start again on PC. Currently on sale and was hovering over the buy button yesterday but also got Luigi’s Mansion to play based on your recommendation. 

Writing off Outer Wilds because of the controls just seems utterly bizarre. Firstly because they’re fine, especially once you’ve been to a few different planets and have an appreciation for how they adapt to different gravities and locations, but also because even if they were significantly worse it still wouldn’t detract from the genius of the game in any meaningful way.  

If you can play RDR2, a game with perhaps the worst control scheme of any triple-A game in history, full of tired repetitive mission design and flabby pointless time-wasting content, you can handle Outer Wilds. It’s impossibly tightly constructed. Your deaths are experiments, your actions hypotheses. Knowledge is your reward. You can complete the game in about 12 minutes once you’ve learned how. Every piece of data builds a larger picture of a profoundly well designed world full of multi layered moving story and Portal-tier puzzle mechanics. It’s a blueprint for an almost completely new way to build video games shorn of all the structural DNA building blocks we’re familiar with. I don’t know how they did it and I’m not convinced they can do it again, it’s that singular. 

But, I doubted you’d like it after your initial reaction, and that’s alright. A relatively small number of people bounce off it before closing a few early loops and really getting some of that reward and intrigue that keeps you going.  You’re representing those people in the discussion which is valuable and doesn’t make you wrong. My counter is that as an almost completely nonlinear game it’s possible to go to places you can’t really engage with properly yet (emotionally or practically) as you haven’t been granted that knowledge and context, and from your description it sounds like that might have happened. If it has any failing perhaps that’s it, the beauty of the design necessitates a small number of people falling through the cracks. The beauty is that eventually all that emotional context and practical knowledge of how to recognise and traverse puzzles is filled in. It’s like a metroidvania for your mind, a real detective story unlike any other. But it was James and Sean I was interested in. I’m really glad Sean played it because he reacted exactly as I thought and hoped he would, and I think if James had finished it or played a bit more  you’d have a different GOTY - same story as last year. I’m sure if you played it for long enough you’d come around as well, if you can find a single person who played it to the end and didn’t then regard it as a game of the year if not the generation I’d be surprised. But I get that’s a risk or failing of the early too-open hours of the game as much as anything.

Christ James was pissed. 

• Upvote 2

It took me a couple of attempts to get into Outer Wilds. I played it for a couple of hours to start with, ended up exploring some ruins on a planet, got frustrated trying to get to a hard to reach part, and didn't do much else. I thought it maybe just wasn't for me, left it alone and played something else. Later I heard someone on another podcast raving about it and thought I'd give it another shot, and now it's one of my favourite games of all time. Funnily enough that's exactly the same experience I had with Dark Souls, which Outer Wilds has now probably overtaken in my mind.

But while it's easily my game of the year by a long way,

LiS2

makes sense as TCGS' GOTY for the simple reason that it's a game you all played and loved this year. 

10 minutes ago, memories said:

Not listened to TCGS yet but what the chuff is LiS2 that has made game of the year???

Life is Strange 2.

• Upvote 1

On 27/12/2019 at 10:23, Mogster said:

It took me a couple of attempts to get into Outer Wilds. I played it for a couple of hours to start with, ended up exploring some ruins on a planet, got frustrated trying to get to a hard to reach part, and didn't do much else. I thought it maybe just wasn't for me, left it alone and played something else. Later I heard someone on another podcast raving about it and thought I'd give it another shot, and now it's one of my favourite games of all time. Funnily enough that's exactly the same experience I had with Dark Souls, which Outer Wilds has now probably overtaken in my mind.

But while it's easily my game of the year by a long way, LiS2 makes sense as TCGS' GOTY for the simple reason that it's a game you all played and loved this year. 

Thanks for spoiling TCGS GOTY. Twit

11 hours ago, sandman said:

Thanks for spoiling TCGS GOTY. Twit

That's fair, but three people have openly named the game in this thread and one of them was Elmo.:ph34r:

I've added spoiler tags now, but obviously I can't edit the post you've quoted, or the other posts in the thread naming the winner.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bradigor said:

We've gone and done a podcast for Mental Health Gaming. Please give it a listen!

http://bit.ly/2vcBJQo

Have you an RSS feed so I can subscribe?

7 minutes ago, deKay said:

Have you an RSS feed so I can subscribe?

Not yet, everything is going on Soundcloud and Youtube at the moment though. If you could subscribe there for now it'd be a help :) 

14 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Not yet, everything is going on Soundcloud and Youtube at the moment though. If you could subscribe there for now it'd be a help :) 

I can subscribe but I won't be able to listen from them!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, deKay said:

"This feed contains no entries."

So, er, no :(

Hmmm, maybe because it is new? 

Just now, bradigor said:

Hmmm, maybe because it is new? 

I think you have to enable downloads of your show.

1 minute ago, deKay said:

I think you have to enable downloads of your show.

Ah, give it few mins and try again. 

Our latest episode it out talking about the Voices in our heads and how they dictate our every day lives. 

http://bit.ly/2Hj1qSf

Everything should be working properly now and hopefully you'll get it on the various podcast providers. 

Back once again with the renegade masters, the latest episode is out now. Lots of discussion around the media & Caroline Flack, along with some games talk (natch). 

Available at the link or on your podcast platform of choice. 

http://www.mentalhealthgaming.com/

• Upvote 1

Nobody tell Sean Bell that E3's been cancelled, and we'll see if we can get a whole show out of Elmo and Mat making up an entire E3 from start to finish.

• Upvote 1

Hi all. If anyone needs some isolation company, myself my brother and my best friend do a goty podcast in the Giant Bomb style (of two years ago) with categories, cuts and a top 3. We've done it for the past four years but this is the first year we feel brave enough to share it with people. The reason we wait until March is that we wanted to play as many games as possible so we could have a good conversation. Here's the link if you're at all interested, first episode is Best Looking and Best New Mechanic or Feature.

https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/double-click-boys/game-of-the-year-2019-dYTa_OyXElP/

• Upvote 4