Gaming Podcasts

Beertiger

10 minutes ago, elmo said:

I’m Mat. Hate to say it but David is one of the most attractive blokes I know. Like Brad Pitt but better looking. So talented. Modest too.

Hmm. I think I'll just keep imagining him as Jay.

I enjoyed your most recent Sekiro Sunday video, by the way, even if you didn't seem to ;). I found that the best tactic for his third phase was to bait his lightning attack, as it's relatively easy to counter and deals a lot of damage.

Not that you were asking for any advice...

44 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I enjoyed your most recent Sekiro Sunday video, by the way, even if you didn't seem to ;). I found that the best tactic for his third phase was to bait his lightning attack, as it's relatively easy to counter and deals a lot of damage.

I’ll pass that on to Mat.

(it’s David BTW) ;)

On 06/12/2019 at 21:10, Sarlaccfood said:

I take it you tried easy allies?

I don’t agree with their reviews much but I think their news analysis is great.

I've seen some of their E3 stuff and the constant "hilarious banter" put me right off them.

On 06/12/2019 at 21:00, Jamie John said:

I'm Mat. Hey.

And yeah, this Sunday's stream was much better. He'll be gone next week for sure.

For the record, before I knew what they looked like, I too pictured TCGS as "the inbetweeners" cast:

Dave = Jay

Mat = Will

Sean = Neil

James = Simon

However, in reality, they are much more like the cast of "Last of the summer wine".

2 hours ago, Cappuccino Kid said:

TCGS have really been killing it with the GOTY stuff, both in the podcast and on Twitter, in the last couple of days. It's really cheered me up in what could prove to be quite a depressing week. Thanks lads!

Yep, really enjoyable, although Sekiro being the wildcard was rubbish. Is @murray to only one to have played it? It's my GOTY!

On 18/12/2019 at 11:43, murray said:

Our Game of the Year 2019 episode is out now!

Available to listen on all podcast services and YouTube. Strap in.

I just finished listening to this and thought it was great. James was, indeed, completely battered by the end.

Regarding the GotY:

Spoiler

I tried the first episode of the original season of LiS but couldn't get on with the quirky hipster teenage characters. Is the second series like that, and do you need to have played the first series to enjoy the second?

18 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Regarding the GotY:

Hide contents

I tried the first episode of the original season of LiS but couldn't get on with the quirky hipster teenage characters. Is the second series like that, and do you need to have played the first series to enjoy the second?

Spoiler

No you don't need to play LiS 1 to enjoy 2 as it's a totally new set of characters.

But I'd recommend the free Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit as that links into LiS 2 later on.

You boys should have agreed with James to switch your vote from 

Spoiler

Outer Wilds

(which is much, much more deserving than

Spoiler

LIS2)

on the agreement that he plays it ASAP and then comes back to the pod and talks about how he would have voted in retrospect. Maybe a spoilercast. Absolutely livid that a game of the generation (and hopefully a blueprint for the next) went out in the first round because James hadn’t played enough of it yet. Travesty lads. 

It’s pretty good, haven’t finished yet, need to start again on PC. Currently on sale and was hovering over the buy button yesterday but also got Luigi’s Mansion to play based on your recommendation. 

Writing off Outer Wilds because of the controls just seems utterly bizarre. Firstly because they’re fine, especially once you’ve been to a few different planets and have an appreciation for how they adapt to different gravities and locations, but also because even if they were significantly worse it still wouldn’t detract from the genius of the game in any meaningful way.  

If you can play RDR2, a game with perhaps the worst control scheme of any triple-A game in history, full of tired repetitive mission design and flabby pointless time-wasting content, you can handle Outer Wilds. It’s impossibly tightly constructed. Your deaths are experiments, your actions hypotheses. Knowledge is your reward. You can complete the game in about 12 minutes once you’ve learned how. Every piece of data builds a larger picture of a profoundly well designed world full of multi layered moving story and Portal-tier puzzle mechanics. It’s a blueprint for an almost completely new way to build video games shorn of all the structural DNA building blocks we’re familiar with. I don’t know how they did it and I’m not convinced they can do it again, it’s that singular. 

But, I doubted you’d like it after your initial reaction, and that’s alright. A relatively small number of people bounce off it before closing a few early loops and really getting some of that reward and intrigue that keeps you going.  You’re representing those people in the discussion which is valuable and doesn’t make you wrong. My counter is that as an almost completely nonlinear game it’s possible to go to places you can’t really engage with properly yet (emotionally or practically) as you haven’t been granted that knowledge and context, and from your description it sounds like that might have happened. If it has any failing perhaps that’s it, the beauty of the design necessitates a small number of people falling through the cracks. The beauty is that eventually all that emotional context and practical knowledge of how to recognise and traverse puzzles is filled in. It’s like a metroidvania for your mind, a real detective story unlike any other. But it was James and Sean I was interested in. I’m really glad Sean played it because he reacted exactly as I thought and hoped he would, and I think if James had finished it or played a bit more  you’d have a different GOTY - same story as last year. I’m sure if you played it for long enough you’d come around as well, if you can find a single person who played it to the end and didn’t then regard it as a game of the year if not the generation I’d be surprised. But I get that’s a risk or failing of the early too-open hours of the game as much as anything.

Christ James was pissed.