rllmuk
Beertiger

Gaming Podcasts

I don't listen to any gaming podcasts but would like to. What can people recommend?

I want something that focuses on current games as opposed to retro, something that I can download or otherwise play from my phone with the screen off while I'm driving, and something that isn't hosted by twats. Bonus points if it's part of a regular series and focuses on PAL releases.

Cheers :)

@Jamie John Cane and Rinse focuses on one game or series each week with a mixture of current and retro, but tends towards more recent releases. It's my favourite pure gaming podcast and it's got a revolving mix of UK, European and American hosts and guests. It's on the drier side, it doesn't aim for laughs, but the team is really passionate and knowledgeable and entertaining. I haven't played many of the games in this year's shows so there's a lot I've skipped because I'd rather listen after I've got round to them. It's extremely consistent, though, and always excellent.

Watch Out For Fireballs is similar in approach but the tone is a bit jokier and nerdier. The hosts are two American guys who did the fantastic Bonfireside Chat podcast about the Soulsborne series (my actual favourite gaming podcast) and their humour is probably an acquired taste. They've grown on me a lot though because they obviously enjoy what they're doing and they're bright and interesting.

The Computer Game Show is...surely you've heard of TCGS? The panel is made up of various current/ex-rllmuk posters and Sean Bell, formerly of the defunct but great Midnight Resistance and other stuff. It's much more of a funny ensemble type show which is as much about taking the piss out of contemporary games news and each other as it is talking about games in much depth. It's one of the highlights of the podcasting week for me and I never miss an episode but it depends on whether you enjoy their interaction.

I also really enjoy Twin Humanities which is another Soulsy podcast but it's a lot less regular these days and tends to cover more than games and includes the assorted interests of the two hosts. They're lovely, enthusiastic guys and I sometimes go back to the first couple of series, where noob Paddy is guided through Dark Souls by his mate CJ, who's already a fan. I know it's not where the idea for the excellent Dark Calls podcast (a TCGS spin-off) came from but it is an almost identical concept. Not what you're looking for necessarily but I just wanted to mention it. 

• Upvote 3

What the hell. What in the HELL. I haven't had a gaming podcast to listen to for ages because I got sad when Joypod ended and didn't think anything else would fill the same niche for me or hit the comedic heights of the Beatnik Bandit. How in the HELL have I missed TCGS?

I have a lot of catching up to do it seems. 

• Upvote 5

50 minutes ago, JLM said:

What the hell. What in the HELL. I haven't had a gaming podcast to listen to for ages because I got sad when Joypod ended and didn't think anything else would fill the same niche for me or hit the comedic heights of the Beatnik Bandit. How in the HELL have I missed TCGS?

I have a lot of catching up to do it seems. 

Dude :lol:

Enjoy, it’s my favourite podcast by far.

On 17/11/2019 at 20:19, Stanshall said:

The Computer Game Show is...surely you've heard of TCGS? The panel is made up of various current/ex-rllmuk posters and Sean Bell, formerly of the defunct but great Midnight Resistance and other stuff. It's much more of a funny ensemble type show which is as much about taking the piss out of contemporary games news and each other as it is talking about games in much depth. It's one of the highlights of the podcasting week for me and I never miss an episode but it depends on whether you enjoy their interaction.

On 17/11/2019 at 20:19, Stejay said:

Just to say that I listened to last week's episode and enjoyed it a lot. It's a bit long (although I think this was a one off) and one of the blokes says "basically" too much, but I enjoyed their analysis of Death Stranding, even if I haven't played it yet, and the hosts seemed quite relatable. Made me laugh and smile a lot. I've subscribed and will be listening to this week's episode on my commute later this week. Which rllmuk members are in it?

On 18/11/2019 at 16:40, meatbin said:

Big shout for Cand and Rinse

Going to try this next!

• Upvote 1

It's tough to find a decent podcast now. Chet and John were the best of all time, The Bombcast was great too until Ben completely ruined it. TCGS can be good but the hilarious "banter" can be a bit much.

I haven't found a solid weekly news/current releases based podcast in a while.

Axe of the Blood God is decent if you like RPG's.

On 17/11/2019 at 20:19, Stanshall said:

The panel is made up of various current/ex-rllmuk posters and Sean Bell, formerly of the defunct but great Midnight Resistance and other stuff.

Sean used to post here too.

• Upvote 1

On 18/11/2019 at 16:40, meatbin said:

Big shout for Cand and Rinse

I listened to their episode on Inside from July and thought it was great - really in-depth discussion and analysis that you don't get anywhere else. It's inspired me to play the game again. I'm not going to listen to every single episode as there are quite a few that relate to games I'm not interested in our haven't played, but the games I have enjoyed that they do episodes on I'll definitely check out. FFXII is next. Is it the same panel each time?

@Stanshall, I found the Bonfireside Chat archive on Spotify earlier. There's quite a lot there! I've downloaded a few episodes on some of my favourite levels/bosses to listen to. They're about two hours long, each, so I'll be interested to see what they talk about for that long...

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I listened to their episode on Inside from July and thought it was great - really in-depth discussion and analysis that you don't get anywhere else. It's inspired me to play the game again. I'm not going to listen to every single episode as there are quite a few that relate to games I'm not interested in our haven't played, but the games I have enjoyed that they do episodes on I'll definitely check out. FFXII is next. Is it the same panel each time?

@Stanshall

Sounds like it's going to be a longterm stay for you. With each show the panel is usually different, but most of the time hosted by Leon (who is really good as a host). 

It's a pod that you can browse the archive and pick what games may interest you. 

If you really start enjoying it, sign up for the Pateron to get an extended version of each pod, sometimes up to an hour longer for each. 

• Upvote 1

The quality of c&r has really improved - at times it could be really dry and open to errors.   Give Dork Tunes (best!) a listen if you like gaming music or Sound of Play if you fancy something less cerebral.

• Upvote 1

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 22:12, Horribleman said:

Filthy casuals is worth a listen too. Kind of like TCGS from Australia. 

I made it about 15 minutes into this and turned off - not a single mention of video games - fuck that

TCGS has become a staple of my commute, so thanks once again for all the recommendations. They talk over each other a bit sometimes, but their discussions are always interesting and occasionally very funny, even if I don't agree with all they say. I'm looking forward to the GOTY show.

I've also listened to a few more Cane and Rinse episodes for games that I've enjoyed and continue to be impressed. I also learn something new and interesting from each episode I listen to, which is a bonus.

I tried one of the Bonfire Chat episodes that @Stanshall mentioned, the one on Painted World of Ariamis, but, despite enjoying Souls a lot, I didn't really get on with it, mostly because it just felt a bit waffly. I might give it another go, however.

Good stuff :)

The talking over stuff is becoming a pain in the arse. It’s down to discord. I swear it’s been getting worse by the week recently. You can’t hear it on the show but when we’re talking there are time’s where we just can’t hear each other or the lag kicks in.

hopefully the service improves soon.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, elmo said:

The talking over stuff is becoming a pain in the arse. It’s down to discord. I swear it’s been getting worse by the week recently. You can’t hear it on the show but when we’re talking there are time’s where we just can’t hear each other or the lag kicks in.

hopefully the service improves soon.

Which one are you? Good work, by the way!

Does Dave look like Jay from the Inbetweeners? That's who I see in my head when I listen to him, probably because of the accent.