Gaming Podcasts

3 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Come on then @declan what were your favourite episodes? I’d put the Mel Croucher one up near the top myself.

Mel was a highlight, and similarly people like Chris Crawford, Richard Garriott, Rod Humble and Tim Schafer were all around from the jump and helped shape the medium, so their stories were amazing. Steven Bailey and Mike Cook were, to me, the best examples of what I imagined the show would be when I first started. They hit that sweet spot of the cultural and social impact that games had on their lives, and also they're both really smart and engaging. I enjoyed needing out about Tony Hawk with Erica LaHaie. Ellie Gibson made me laugh more than anyone. 

It's going to be interesting listening back when I start running them again. Like, there was an ep with Tim Kinzy & Andrew Seklir who made a documentary about Nibbler called Man vs. Snake. Aside from the documentary, both of them work as editors and when I interviewed them they were telling me all about the show they were currently working on called Westworld, which at the time I assumed would just be a cheesy cash in. 

• Upvote 5
10 hours ago, declan said:

The latest and last (!) Checkpoints just went live today, ep #128.

For the final show I managed to pull Robert Ashley from video game retirement and we have a brilliant chat about his life in games. 

There are a bunch of reasons I'm finishing up the show - which if you're interested I talk about in next week's epilogue episode where I'm interviewed by Violet Berlin -  suffice to say it's for good reasons. I'm sticking the landing. 

It's been a brilliant time! Thanks to everyone who has listened. If you never listened I'm going to start repeating the show from the start in the next few weeks. The content is evergreen, iTunes only archives the last 100 eps and there are WAY more people listening to the show now than there were at the start so it seems appropriate. 

declandineen.com/checkpoints

I’m incredibly excited to listen to this.

12 hours ago, declan said:

The latest and last (!) Checkpoints just went live today, ep #128.

For the final show I managed to pull Robert Ashley from video game retirement and we have a brilliant chat about his life in games. 

There are a bunch of reasons I'm finishing up the show - which if you're interested I talk about in next week's epilogue episode where I'm interviewed by Violet Berlin -  suffice to say it's for good reasons. I'm sticking the landing. 

It's been a brilliant time! Thanks to everyone who has listened. If you never listened I'm going to start repeating the show from the start in the next few weeks. The content is evergreen, iTunes only archives the last 100 eps and there are WAY more people listening to the show now than there were at the start so it seems appropriate. 

declandineen.com/checkpoints

Aw man, sorry that this will be the last episode.

I've always really enjoyed the podcast and enjoyed what you put out. Hopefully the spreading that word that I did from the Retro Asylum account was a help. look forward to hearing what you get up to next. Cheers, Paul

• Upvote 1

Thanks guys! It’s a m purposeful ending as I’m not going to be able to maintain the regularity I have for the past three years,  but I may still do the odd one if the opportunity presents. 

Next week’s episode should be fun, though I don’t know if I can beat listening to it. I never thought being interviewed would be so nerve wracking. 

Yeah that episode of Checkpoints was excellent. A really cool chat, both seemed proper realaxed and you bounced off of each other really well. Loved it.

sad to see the pod going but I’m sure you’ll be back in no time!

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, sandman said:

Elmo, what game were you talking about this  (maybe last) week - the hotel one with puzzles? - Sounds excellent but if you mentioned at all I missed it

The Norwood Suite?

Sexy Brutale?

Gregory Horror Show?

19 minutes ago, sandman said:

Elmo, what game were you talking about this  (maybe last) week - the hotel one with puzzles? - Sounds excellent but if you mentioned at all I missed it

@Capwn should know it. 

He wrote it on his hand. 

• Upvote 2

Touting my own show this week because... I interviewed Simon Phipps who worked for Core back in the Amiga days.  Involved with and designed huge games like Rick Dangerous, Bubba n Stix, Monty Python's Flying circus etc.   The guy had some fantastic stories and really went into great detail of some of his time in the industry:

https://amigarama.com/episodes/amigarama-episode-39-simon-phipps-interview/

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...