Gaming Podcasts

I'm slowly getting into CGS, it's quite funny even although I don't know the characters yet. I felt I could let another gaming cast into my life as my old list dwindled from about 20 a week to currently 2 (GWJ, Cagcast). It's good to have at least one UK show in the mix. 

Just listened to this weeks Computer Game Show. Was great to hear from a couple of listeners that also enjoyed Future Unfolding. Adam Turner and Sean McGabin? (no idea how to spell his surname, sorry). Not sure why but they sound familiar :D

I was bored and read Dan Stapleton's AMA and he posted a link to IGNs review guide that they send out to everyone reviewing a game for them. One part in particular stood out to me:

If the game has a campaign, you must complete it (except MMOs or in special, pre-approved circumstances). If for any reason you are unable to complete a game you are reviewing, notify your assigning editor as soon as it becomes apparent.

10 hours ago, Mentazm said:

I'm slowly getting into CGS, it's quite funny even although I don't know the characters yet.

I went ages being unable to tell the difference between Shawn and James for some reason, despite the fact that they sound totally different. 

On 24/03/2017 at 13:27, Mars said:

Elmo's story had me in bits.  

"Luigi....head...... off".

:lol:

That was amazing. I thought elmo was going to able to get a Switch but the kid was gonna break something expensive which was going to dash those plans but the actual story was even better. 

• 2 weeks later...

The CGS has been brilliant the past two weeks. Missed a trick not calling this week's Total Eclipse of the Fart, though.

The last 15 minutes of TV positioning talk was mental but the rest of this week's episode was probably one of the best yet.

I hope Glixel stays around for a while so I can continue enjoying their no-fat podcast. 100% games focused, in and out in an hour, BOSH.

I usually start disliking one or more of the presenters after a few episodes of a podcast, but they all seem pretty sound. And in a departure from gaming podcast tradition, one of them is even a woman!

• Upvote 1

I like Glixel too, I think I'm mostly on board because John Davison is on it and he was probably the driving force behind the first gaming podcast I got into back in the day when he was a regular chair on 1up Yours, but I think Miguel is quietly the star of Glixel, he's articulate and knowledgeable and always mindful of the listener.  I still struggle to tell John and Simon's voices apart at times though and I don't think the dire quality of the audio of that show helps at all. I presume they just record around a phone or a tablet or something but when you consider that they are sitting in the same room together when they record and they clearly have a budget to run that site then the fact that the wonderful sound quality @elmo can get from a remotely recorded podcast which people are doing for free is testament to the CGS guys.  Glixel do need to improve their audio quality at some point though. 

Also I think I disagreed with lots of the stuff they were claiming about the state of the market at the moment, I can't remember the specifics as it's been a few days since I listened but them saying that Microsoft might struggle to get exciting exclusives for the Scorpio leading into claims about about there being no PC exclusive titles blew my mind. Isn't World of Warcraft one of the most profitable games ever?  I think CS:GO, DotA2 and League of Legends have active player bases which put pretty much all console games to shame too. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Nayson said:

I like Glixel too, I think I'm mostly on board because John Davison is on it and he was probably the driving force behind the first gaming podcast I got into back in the day when he was a regular chair on 1up Yours, but I think Miguel is quietly the star of Glixel, he's articulate and knowledgeable and always mindful of the listener.  I still struggle to tell John and Simon's voices apart at times though and I don't think the dire quality of the audio of that show helps at all. I presume they just record around a phone or a tablet or something but when you consider that they are sitting in the same room together when they record and they clearly have a budget to run that site then the fact that the wonderful sound quality @elmo can get from a remotely recorded podcast which people are doing for free is testament to the CGS guys.  Glixel do need to improve their audio quality at some point though. 

Also I think I disagreed with lots of the stuff they were claiming about the state of the market at the moment, I can't remember the specifics as it's been a few days since I listened but them saying that Microsoft might struggle to get exciting exclusives for the Scorpio leading into claims about about there being no PC exclusive titles blew my mind. Isn't World of Warcraft one of the most profitable games ever?  I think CS:GO, DotA2 and League of Legends have active player bases which put pretty much all console games to shame too. 

No argument there; I'm sure Rolling Stone could cover the cost of a few microphones!

I have to say (in the spirit of constructive feedback) that Timor standing in on TCGS fills me with dread. I utterly love the show but something about him really makes me want to turn off. I couldn't finish the last episode. 

21 minutes ago, Butters said:

I'm torn on Glixel. Big fan of Davison. And Miguel. The other two have a tendency to annoy me, although I'm not really sure why.

I have similar issues having listened to a couple of shows, I don't know the names but the British female is most annoying and completely closed in her opinions being right/wrong - she would fit in in here very well!!

I will give it more time but thus far it's not gelled.

• Upvote 2