Gaming Podcasts

11 hours ago, Huz said:

No, the reason is that they don't have the time and/or inclination to play those games.

If they haven't found anything released in the last few months that they want to play then I can understand taking a step back from gaming, as it's clearly not doing anything for them anymore. 

I've only listened to Idle Thumbs a few times but I always thought they had a bit of a smug arrogance about them so the thought of them thinking they should take a step back from talking about games to just the random stuff they do seems to make sense. 

13 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Was nice to get a smackdown on the Computer Game Show last week with my defence of the 2DS. Didn't expect them to even raise it, but they gave me a chuckle.

xx

whats weird is that our listeners seem to take our comments as intended rather than seriously which has been really refreshing. Even on Joypod people used to get really angry with us.

20 minutes ago, elmo said:

xx

whats weird is that our listeners seem to take our comments as intended rather than seriously which has been really refreshing. Even on Joypod people used to get really angry with us.

I figure if I am daft enough to tweet you guys, then I should expect abuse. Keep up the good work, love the podcast. And the 2DS rocks.

1 hour ago, Radish said:

If they haven't found anything released in the last few months that they want to play then I can understand taking a step back from gaming, as it's clearly not doing anything for them anymore. 

I've only listened to Idle Thumbs a few times but I always thought they had a bit of a smug arrogance about them so the thought of them thinking they should take a step back from talking about games to just the random stuff they do seems to make sense. 

The reason I like Idle Thumbs is that they don't just always talk about the latest big AAA games or focus heavily on Sony/Microsoft consoles like every other big gaming podcast around. Their focus on PC games, lesser-known games and indies has led to be buying tons of stuff I otherwise wouldn't have heard of or bothered with thanks to their analysis. Stuff like STALKER: Call of Pripyat (which became one of my favourite ever games), Trine, Sunless Sea, Crusader Kings II, Hotline Miami, Kentucky Route Zero etc. I've been listening to gaming podcasts for years back since the glory days of 1UP Yours and GFW Radio and Idle Thumbs is the only one I've stuck with that's still going, and the only gaming one I still listen to every week. Kinda glad they've spun their random discussions stuff into a whole separate podcast though.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, elmo said:

I think podbean might be playing up. We're getting some weirdstats on the latest show so something is clearly going wrong.

Looking into it.

doesnt download on my iPhone, gives errors

3 hours ago, PyramidFace said:

Anyone else having problems downloading the current Computer Game Show episode through Pocket Casts?

No. iOS and Pocket Casts and it's always worked fine for me. Weirdly I just got this week's episode pushed to me again about an hour ago. Is it an error or do we have a Capone ninja edit again? 

1 hour ago, Nayson said:

No. iOS and Pocket Casts and it's always worked fine for me. Weirdly I just got this week's episode pushed to me again about an hour ago. Is it an error or do we have a Capone ninja edit again? 

That's us fixing the issue. If anyone had problems previously it would be helpful if you tried again and let us know if it's fixed

• Upvote 2
On 2/24/2017 at 12:11, Radish said:

I remember I decided to give Idle Thumbs another chance a few E3s back. I usually broaden my podcasts at E3 to get more views on what's going on, so it seemed like a good time. On their E3 podcast, literally none of the main members had lowered themselves to watch or even read up on afterwards on any of the press conferences, and instead had their recently joined junior member Danielle Riendeu (who as a mere games journalist was contract-bound to follow videogames) relay what she remembered from the events and then they all took turns to out scoff each other and proclaim how awful whatever Danielle talked about sounded.

So after that I thought that Idle Thumbs could go fuck themselves.

• Upvote 2

I haven't posted about my show here for ages but Ken Levine was on today which was very exciting so I'm keen to share. When I first started the podcast he was one of my top five guests so it was a real thrill to chat. It helps that he was super engaging and we ended up with a really interesting interview too I think. 

You can listen here: declandineen.com/checkpoints 

• Upvote 5
1 hour ago, deerokus said:

It definitely lost a lot when Danielle left. 

Ha. I stopped listening when she was on it.

They were PC-focused for a long time with little interest in AAA titles. It makes sense that E3 wouldn't be a top priority for them. Plenty of other podcasts that will cover that.

I'm really enjoying Idle Thumbs of late.  They have gone back to the original crew (I think) and it's right up my alley, I liked Danielle but drifted away when Sean Vanaman was on regularly as he tended to dominate the conversation which took away a lot of the show's charm for me.  The new show (Important if True) is great fun and even though they said they'd be winding down Idle Thumbs to focus on the new show and move away from being a purely video game related podcast but the games have been coming so thick and fast recently that they've had so much to talk about. For what was traditionally a PC/indie focussed show there has been a hell of a lot of Zelda talk in recent episodes and even though I don't own a Switch or a Wii U I've been really digging it. 

14 hours ago, declan said:

I haven't posted about my show here for ages but Ken Levine was on today which was very exciting so I'm keen to share. When I first started the podcast he was one of my top five guests so it was a real thrill to chat. It helps that he was super engaging and we ended up with a really interesting interview too I think. 

You can listen here: declandineen.com/checkpoints 

Really good from what I've listened to so far. 

Out of interest, who are the other four in your top five?

We're talking proper pie in the sky dream guests here, but it's Sid Meier, Peter Molyneux, Will Wright & Shigeru Miyamoto. 

I have no idea idea how to get in touch with any of them but you never know. I didn't think I'd ever speak to Ken and yet here we are!

Awesome. I'd also like to hear from Jeff Minter (not sure if he does interviews?) and some of the journalists from the 80s game magazine scene, eg Roger Kean of Crash / Zzap64 fame. I really enjoyed the episode with Mel Croucher (I realise I'm showing my age here!).