Gaming Podcasts

On 12/17/2016 at 17:00, Mogster said:

It's completely bizarre, and doesn't seem to happen with any other show! I might have to start downloading the YouTube versions or something.

I use Pocket Casts and listen to TCGS and don't have this issue. PocketCasts has all sorts of problems with podcasts that haven't finished downloading though, given the show's 'party like it's 1999' download speeds it could be an issue related to that?

Just now, Marzipan Travolta said:

I use Pocket Casts and listen to TCGS and don't have this issue. PocketCasts has all sorts of problems with podcasts that haven't finished downloading though, given the show's 'party like it's 1999' download speeds it could be an issue related to that?

Possibly, although this is after it's supposedly finished downloading. Maybe the download has been cutting out prematurely or something? Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

On 17/12/2016 at 17:00, Mogster said:

Speaking of The Computer Game Show, I use Pocket Casts on Android and I have a really bizarre issue when I listen to that show. It'll be fine when I start an episode, but I'll always end up pausing it at some point for whatever reason. Then I'll come back to it later and find I'm somehow listening to a point much later in the episode, despite the time showing I was exactly where I left off. If I try and skip backwards it'll usually just start the entire episode again, without moving the timeline back, or even decide I've finished the episode and delete it.

It's completely bizarre, and doesn't seem to happen with any other show! I might have to start downloading the YouTube versions or something.

What phone do you use? Is it a OnePlus? I had exactly the same issue. I got it with Midnight Resistance first and thought it was their fault, but then it happened with The Computer Game Show as well. I then switched from Pocket Casts to a different podcast app (can't remember what one) to see if it was Pocket Casts fault, but it still happened. I then discovered that there are some problems with podcast playback in the OnePlus 2's Oxygen OS. I got annoyed enough with it that I wiped my phone and installed CyanogenMod and I've not had the problem since.

I know I'm a bit of a shill but whatever, I absolutely loved TCGS GOTY podcast, I listen to a few of these from various outlets and whilst I also enjoy the more serious debates, it's great to hear that really tries to have fun with the concept. I liked the football style draws too, was always exciting to hear someone passionately discuss a game and then await to see what it was up against. If they didn't do that the face offs may have not been as interesting as they were. It was really interesting to see certain games go up against each other, changed everything and raised some very interesting debates on the values of play over experience etc.

As for the 'suspicious' part, I 100% don't think it was at all. Each person argued their reasons in a believable and honest way, when it came back to bite them later in the show THAT was obviously manipulated but I found that funny and bittersweet. It was an entertaining show where 4 enthusiasts talked about what the games they played that year meant to them. It was never a definite list of the best 16 games.

It's also really made me want to play some games that I missed.

9 minutes ago, Capwn said:

I know I'm a bit of a shill but whatever, I absolutely loved TCGS GOTY podcast, I listen to a few of these from various outlets and whilst I also enjoy the more serious debates, it's great to hear that really tries to have fun with the concept. I liked the football style draws too, was always exciting to hear someone passionately discuss a game and then await to see what it was up against. If they didn't do that the face offs may have not been as interesting as they were. It was really interesting to see certain games go up against each other, changed everything and raised some very interesting debates on the values of play over experience etc.

As for the 'suspicious' part, I 100% don't think it was at all. Each person argued their reasons in a believable and honest way, when it came back to bite them later in the show THAT was obviously manipulated but I found that funny and bittersweet. It was an entertaining show where 4 enthusiasts talked about what the games they played that year meant to them. It was never a definite list of the best 16 games.

It's also really made me want to play some games that I missed.

I'm wanting to find their GOTY on a sale over Christmas now, having not played it before :P

I'm listening to TCGS GOTY and with the disclaimer that GOTY discussions don't really matter and aren't worth getting wound up over out of the way, I have to say Sean is scum, subhuman scum.

How do you vote for a game which you enjoyed less than another?!

And it's a bit too much of only 1 out of 4 people having played the game being discussed which sometimes works but at other times it feels utterly pointless (yeah, I know I've already said it doesn't matter) and doesn't really feel like a proper GOTY chat.

Maybe next year cut it down a bit (less nominations) or at least make your nominations a few weeks in advance so the others can at least attempt to try one or two of the other games.

Also, I really want to try Far Cry Primal, now. It's £20 on Steam which is still a bit too much given my current backlog, but at some point it's getting played.

Yeah some of the decisions on what were being chosen in the first round were bloody ridiculous.

Spoiler

James voting for Overwatch over a brilliant game hes actually played and enjoyed just to piss off Dave just makes a mockery of it all. Also like Harrybizzle says, Sean admitting he enjoyed Titanfall more but still voting it out, makes zero fucking sense.

Didn't Sean also say he liked Doom more too but votes against it because of his history with TrackMania? It's about this years games, not the history you have with a franchise. Ive not played TrackMania though so can't say which is better, but the reasoning given was very odd. Doubt I will ever play it despite it being their GOTY, just not a fan of that type of game.

Also The Witness over Unchartered 4 :seanr:

Still entertaining as always but just very bizarre and silly reasons for voting against some stuff. 

151_crimbo_bonus.png

It’s time to gather around the Christmas fire as the Retro Asylum team reveal all in our festive Q & A special.

We also discuss the games that give us a nostalgic Christmas feel and as an added Xmas bonus this episode also includes “Gaming Nostalgia” a documentary by Sean Allsop.

http://castaway.media/retroasylum/2016/12/23/episode-151-2016-christmas-specal-questions/

http://traffic.libsyn.com/retroasylum/RA_151_-_Christmas_Spesh_V2.mp3

I just cannot imagine listening to the hilarity of everyone slowly realising they can vote against not just Dave, but Titanfall, and getting all stuffy because "the best game didn't win" and "their reasons for voting through track based racer Trackmania were all wrong."

These are 4 guys sitting around providing entertainment, not the conclusive game of the year 2016, entertainment, completely free of charge. Video games are big silly brilliant things, and The Computer Game Show is a big silly brilliant podcast to match. 

7 hours ago, BitterToad said:

I just cannot imagine listening to the hilarity of everyone slowly realising they can vote against not just Dave, but Titanfall, and getting all stuffy because "the best game didn't win" and "their reasons for voting through track based racer Trackmania were all wrong."

Welcome to Rllmuk.

• 3 weeks later...

Idle Thumbs has been brilliant again in recent times. I'd all but stopped listening when Sean Vanaman was on the show as he tended to dominate the conversation and it was all a bit dull but the current lineup of Chris, Jake and Nick is great.   Loved their conversation on Mario lore this week, and Chris's high score in Mario Run blew my mind. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/01/2017 at 00:15, Nayson said:

Idle Thumbs has been brilliant again in recent times. I'd all but stopped listening when Sean Vanaman was on the show as he tended to dominate the conversation and it was all a bit dull but the current lineup of Chris, Jake and Nick is great.   Loved their conversation on Mario lore this week, and Chris's high score in Mario Run blew my mind. 

I had a vague idea what they looked like but I've never actually seen video of them before, so that was interesting to watch. Both Jake and Nick are slightly tubbier than I expected, and Chris seems to have quite long arms in relation to his body.

Episode 8 of the Average Gamer is up on itunes for anyone that's interested. Link is here:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/average-gamer-ep-8-project/id1182794570?i=1000380608060&mt=2

In Ep. 8 we talk about Microsofts Project Scorpio leak, the rumoured Nintendo Switch SCD Power boost and lastly we discuss game release schedules for the early part of the year. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say, whoever it was that was going on about Glxel (elmo?) was right. It's a really good podcast. Short and sweet, they talk about games and not a lot else.

Rachel or whatever can be a bit irritating at times - she has absolutely no qualms about talking over people even just to get in a crap joke, but on the whole I really enjoy it. Apart from that, the only other thing they could do better is invest in better audio equipment. It sounds like they're all sharing one mic.

It's an odd retrograde step from somebody as experienced at podcasting as John Davison should be, can't Rolling Stone afford to pay for microphones of all things?, the sound level is also shit, somebody sort it out plz, smacks of amateur's doing it for their first time.

It's a bit odd that Glixel seems to be staffed predominately by ex-pats, stealing American jerbs :P

The first episode was highly entertaining though. It's basically a whole podcast of Idle Thumbs tangents, which is fine by me, and it's usually a good sign when I'm having to stifle laughter on the bus :). Their reasons were sound as well, and I'd rather they just put out new Idle Thumbs episodes when they have decent material rather than turn that podcast into a random stuff show with occasional games talk.

Apparently there's an episode of Idle Thumbs out next week incidentally.