Gaming Podcasts

Quick, shameless plug. Myself and a couple of fellow YouTubers started a gaming podcast just over a month ago. We've done 3 episodes so far and have recently put them all up on their own, dedicated channel. So, if you fancy listening to a couple of middle aged Brits (one of which was an ex Games Journalist (me)) and an Aussie talk about games then, please give us a listen. We'd love to hear any constructive feedback. The latest episode covers topics such as the Nintendo Switch, the 15 year XBox anniversary and whether games (and gamers) have come of age or not.

It's called Average Gamer. Link is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC21cYfH54PhS5TlcwAUlkuw

(Apologies if you're not allowed to plug your own show)

• Upvote 4
On 25/11/2016 at 20:58, Kingpin said:

I'm behind the times but do any of the GFW crew still podcast? Specifically Jeff Green and Shawn Elliott. I'm aware of Rebel FM and Geekbox but the magic isn't there. 

GFW was the Shawn and Jeff show to be honest but they've both moved on, Shawn is a developer now, he's just shipped Dishonoured 2. Jeff Green works as a consultant at fellow ex 1Up guy N'Gai Croal's firm Hit Detection. I think this limits their scope to do much podcasting. Darren Gladstone appears to be doing PR for 2K and Sean Molloy is doing something similar at Blizzard.  Robert Ashley, who was probably up there with Shawn and Jeff to be fair, seems to have disappeared.  His band haven't put any music out in years but he does tweet a lot about food and how he doesn't care much for Donald Trump.

I presume you are aware of Ryan Scott (Geekbox) and Anthony Gallegos (Rebel FM) have another podcast called The Comedy Button?  I've not listened to it in four or five years as I really can't stand Scott Bromley but I see on Twitter that Dan Ryckert is on this weeks episode. 

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Coltrane said:

Quick, shameless plug. Myself and a couple of fellow YouTubers started a gaming podcast just over a month ago. We've done 3 episodes so far and have recently put them all up on their own, dedicated channel. So, if you fancy listening to a couple of middle aged Brits (one of which was an ex Games Journalist (me)) and an Aussie talk about games then, please give us a listen. We'd love to hear any constructive feedback. The latest episode covers topics such as the Nintendo Switch, the 15 year XBox anniversary and whether games (and gamers) have come of age or not.

It's called Average Gamer. Link is: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC21cYfH54PhS5TlcwAUlkuw

Is there any reason why you've not made them available as proper podcasts? I can't speak for everyone else obviously, but I'd be much more inclined to listen if I could subscribe to it with Overcast.

7 hours ago, Nayson said:

I presume you are aware of Ryan Scott (Geekbox) and Anthony Gallegos (Rebel FM) have another podcast called The Comedy Button?  I've not listened to it in four or five years as I really can't stand Scott Bromley but I see on Twitter that Dan Ryckert is on this weeks episode. 

No, that one is news to me. Scott Bromley...makes it a hard sell. I'll give it a try though, thanks for mentioning it. 

2 hours ago, Stejay said:

Is there any reason why you've not made them available as proper podcasts? I can't speak for everyone else obviously, but I'd be much more inclined to listen if I could subscribe to it with Overcast.

Yes you're right. Unfortunately, I'm not the one responsible for the editing and administrative side of things but we have discussed getting it on podcast services and we know that needs to happen in order to reach a larger audience. So, hopefully, in the very near future I'll be able to let you know that's happened.

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Coltrane said:

Yes you're right. Unfortunately, I'm not the one responsible for the editing and administrative side of things but we have discussed getting it on podcast services and we know that needs to happen in order to reach a larger audience. So, hopefully, in the very near future I'll be able to let you know that's happened.

Thanks for the reply. I hope you get something sorted soon. I'm definitely up for a listen.

• Upvote 1

A mate and I had a crack at the first episode of a gaming podcast last week. It's a bit crap, more of a pilot "episode zero" but we already have a list of 20 or so things we want to improve so we're on the right track. We used the game awards as a crutch for the first episode which turned out to work quite well, but there's a bit too much "yeah I didn't play this one" and far too much forgetting of names. But it's OK for a first attempt and I'm really proud that we finally got over the nerves and did it. I feel nervous sharing it here among so many better podcasts but maybe someone out there will enjoy it. Give us a couple more episodes to iron out that things we know need work before you rip it apart :unsure:

It's called Gamehulk, because I was trying to think of a name and saw a copy of spacehulk on my shelf.

Coming in the next episode: 

Louder voices with less echo

Less background noise

Less nervous laughing

More standard format... news, what we've been playing, usual stuff. Maybe a feature.

Perhaps a third person

50% less uhh ummms

10% fewer instances of saying something and then contradicting ourselves moments later

Less forgetting the names of things

A lot less being wrong about games or genres we don't really know about (that's a symptom of leaning too hard on the game awards!)

It's on stitcher/pocketcasts/soundcloud/youtube. The feed validates everywhere but doesn't seem to work on itunes at the moment because Apple, but it should be there soon.

• Upvote 4
On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 00:28, Coltrane said:

Is this on Overcast? Cant seem to find it

18 hours ago, Moz said:

A mate and I had a crack at the first episode of a gaming podcast last week. It's a bit crap, more of a pilot "episode zero" but we already have a list of 20 or so things we want to improve so we're on the right track. We used the game awards as a crutch for the first episode which turned out to work quite well, but there's a bit too much "yeah I didn't play this one" and far too much forgetting of names. But it's OK for a first attempt and I'm really proud that we finally got over the nerves and did it. I feel nervous sharing it here among so many better podcasts but maybe someone out there will enjoy it. Give us a couple more episodes to iron out that things we know need work before you rip it apart :unsure:

It's called Gamehulk, because I was trying to think of a name and saw a copy of spacehulk on my shelf.

Coming in the next episode: 

Louder voices with less echo

Less background noise

Less nervous laughing

More standard format... news, what we've been playing, usual stuff. Maybe a feature.

Perhaps a third person

50% less uhh ummms

10% fewer instances of saying something and then contradicting ourselves moments later

Less forgetting the names of things

A lot less being wrong about games or genres we don't really know about (that's a symptom of leaning too hard on the game awards!)

It's on stitcher/pocketcasts/soundcloud/youtube. The feed validates everywhere but doesn't seem to work on itunes at the moment because Apple, but it should be there soon.

It's coming up in the Podcasts app on iOS.

Definitely Playstation biased so keep that in mind but I really enjoy Kinda Funny Games podcasts. Few ex IGN employees started up Kinda Funny as their own entity and it's fantastic. (possibly mentioned earlier in the thread I haven't read through it sorry).

• Upvote 1
On 12/1/2016 at 18:54, declan said:

The Biffo episode is up btw in case anyone missed it - http://declandineen.com/checkpoints/lyhclke95khxfb5nydn3td2t68mnnb

It was one of the most technically fraught interviews I've done, but hopefully most of it is smoothed out in the edit. Good talk!

It's a good episode. You've had some other good episodes recently, especially the one with Tom Bramwell. Keep it up :)

• Upvote 1
On 01/12/2016 at 18:54, declan said:

The Biffo episode is up btw in case anyone missed it - http://declandineen.com/checkpoints/lyhclke95khxfb5nydn3td2t68mnnb

It was one of the most technically fraught interviews I've done, but hopefully most of it is smoothed out in the edit. Good talk!

Really enjoyed it declan.

Thanks to this thread I have added subscriptions to Checkpoints, Easy Allies and Glixel. Liking them all. Will try Gamehulk next.

For those who were asking, the Average Gamer podcast is now on itunes (Episode 4): https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/average-gamer-ep-4-podcast/id1182794570?i=1000378554935&mt=2

The first three episodes are available on YouTube  here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC21cYfH54PhS5TlcwAUlkuw - but all future episodes will be on itunes and YouTube as well.

Episode 4 covers topics such as the poor sales of AAA console titles this year, the downfall of physical media and how often we actually finish games.

Enjoy :)

On 26/11/2016 at 14:30, Gambit said:

Following his recent legal issues with a certain game developer I've recently been listening to a lot of Jim Sterling (Podquisition) episodes. Really finding it quite good as well. His Spin off Doctors episodes he does though are my favorite. Reviewing a bunch of movies based on games has had me pissing myself at work, the Pokemon The Movie one being the best.

Of course with all podcasts that have their comedic moments, it all depends on whether you get on with Jim Sterling's brand of humour (and fanny jokes).

I think I made it about 10 minutes in. Not my cup of tea at all with some people with poor voices going on about pizza 

Seriously, have you tried the brilliant checkpoints, videogamer uk or Elmos podcast yet? 

For being such a personality-led site, it's inevitable that losing a big character like Burns (and to a lesser extent Jim, as mini-Burns as he was) would have an adverse effect. Miller scaling himself back hasn't helped either. The new people are pleasant enough but just don't have the types of personality that I can get into.

In that vein, I've recently started getting back into Idle Thumbs. I checked out about 2 years ago because the lineup changed and people joining an established thing tend to try and join in with that style and it all felt a bit watered down. It's been stripped back to the original 3 and now exists as a video stream and I've really enjoyed watching that.