Gaming Podcasts

2 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Wow, that was long (approaching 2 hours) but well worth the time investment. I could listen to him talk for ages! Deffo one of the best episodes yet.

That was well edited as well. I think uncut it was closer to three. I try to keep them relatively short but there was so much gold here. He spends about fifteen minutes minutely breaking down the definition of what a game is, which granted doesn't exactly sound like a party, but it was legit thrilling.

• 2 weeks later...

Checkpoints #45 is up, and as a huge fan of Idle Thumbs it was a real thrill to welcome Chris Remo to the show. Great talk!

We talk early obsessions with Civilization, first discovering Star Wars via the PC X-Wing games, college dorm Starcraft battles, playing through the videogame canon in a matter of months, the history of Idle Thumbs and why his love of Lucasarts adventure games have played such a pivotal role in his life.

declandineen.com/checkpoints 

On 19 August 2016 at 16:46, p1nseeker said:

Started listening to the computer games show and it's really great, has me smirking like a maniac as I walk to work. Is it all people from here?

Cheers man. Myself Murray and Farley post on here. Pretty sure Sean doesn't.

On 19 August 2016 at 12:33, Butters said:

Just finished listening to it @declan - really enjoyed it. A really nice mix of stuff in there. Top work!

Thanks guys! Glad you liked it. Why not leave a review and rating on iTunes?  The latest episode is well self indulgent but I really liked it. The autosave episodes are basically my love letter to a life well wasted. 

I've been subbed to Checkpoints for ages but never listen to it (have enough trouble keeping up with the two GB podcasts and CGS) but I do dip in every now and then when I recognise a guest. Keep meaning to go back and listen to the John Davison one, but Ellie Gibson I really do have to listen to.

I hate doing the back to back posting, I may actually hold off for a while since I'm sure everyone who was going to listen has listened, but Checkpoints is fifty episodes old today. I celebrated by releasing an episode with Bennett Foddy - the creator of QWOP, philosopher, professor and some time bass player in Cut Copy - and launching a Patreon.

declandineen.com/checkpoints

patreon.com/checkpoints

Just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone who's checked out the show. Rllmuk has been good to me. 

Here's a question: How much traffic comes from iTunes? I'm curious because Android dwarves iOS in market share and there are plenty of iPhone users who have other apps for podcasts yet it's fairly common to hear podcasters to ask for iTunes reviews in order to get a good chart position. Is it really that important? 

I don't know, and I'm not even sure how to check, but I think breaking the top ten or hitting new and noteworthy is a big deal in the same way that a game being featured is a big deal, iTunes is still the biggest marketplace. If people tweet at me or tweet about the show, I always try and ask how they discovered it. 90% of the time it's through Overcast, the Marco Arment podcast app. Checkpoints is regularly one of the most recommended games and hobbies shows, and that has absolutely helped new people find it. Since iTunes is still the biggest podcast store, so to speak, I think being reviewed well can only help. It's partly an image thing too. The iTunes page for a podcast will generally be one of the top hits when you search for it on google, so is always nice to have more stars. 

In my experience, I've got most of my listeners through forums like this and word of mouth, but mainly from people on the show tweeting about it. There is a gradual uptick in listeners and subscribers with every new guest exposing the show to a new audience, which is one of the benefits of doing an interview show.

I'm genuinely not sure though. Podcast stats are incredibly wooly and unreliable in general, unless anyone here can point me in the direction of anything better than feedburner?

2 hours ago, Jamin said:

That opening 15 or so minutes of the latest Computer Game Show podcast where Dave tears a massive strip off Mat & James has to be both the most awkward / awesome opening to any podcast ever. :lol:

It was great. Though the outcome for me was that I went straight to downloading that episode of the Interface podcast, which I hadn't heard of before Elmo started raging about it :)