Gaming Podcasts

Beertiger

I'll be quite surprised if one of the new hires isn't female, despite the backlash it will incur.

Vinny makes everything better. I've had Barkerville stuck in my head since the last Vinnyvannia, Drake covering it on the Harmonix stream last night didn't help.

I finally got round to listening to most of the Chet & Jon episode with elmo. I don't tend to listen to C&J much and this episode really reminded me why. Apologies if I get the names the wrong way round, but christ what's wrong with Chet? His Deadlight rant was completely and utterly ridiculous. Going on and on about it "being a game for fucking children and I don't fucking care what you say" and how it has dubious content for children despite being completely ignorant of the 18 age rating it has.

Then there's his aggressive insistence that it's a 1/10 game, even though it quite clearly isn't. It's not great, but so far away from being a 1/10 game that trying to claim otherwise is absurd. A 6.8/10 metacritic score for the 360 and 7.8 for the PC, based on a total of 86 critic reviews. And yet it's a 1/10 game because he watches videos about serial killers at 3am. It irritates me how full of himself he is, in the past he's gone on and on about kneejerk reactions from other gamers, how fickle they are, blah blah and yet he's no better. Just an ignorant and aggressive manchild. Please tell me I'm mistaken and he's not actually a games journalist.

ps elmo was great

Good for him, but a damn shame for us. Everybody is always discussing which team-up is the best at Giant Bomb but we all know that the Dave-Vinny combo cannot be beaten. Give them a random old PC game and a camera and you're guaranteed to have great time

I've watched the Phantasmagoria "endurance run" more times than many of my favourite movies.

I'm sure they'll use Skype for some of the more popular beats. They haven't done it much with Patrick or Alex because there's no demand for it. In fact the only time we really get Skype is on a Vinnycast; he'll probably instigate it.

I'll be quite surprised if one of the new hires isn't female, despite the backlash it will incur.

Vinny makes everything better. I've had Barkerville stuck in my head since the last Vinnyvannia, Drake covering it on the Harmonix stream last night didn't help.

That's fantastic, I've backed the project purely on the awesomeness of Barkerville.

Really? Out of all the video game website communities the GB crowd seems the best. I don't see how hiring a "female" would create a backlash.

I finally got round to listening to most of the Chet & Jon episode with elmo. I don't tend to listen to C&J much and this episode really reminded me why. Apologies if I get the names the wrong way round, but christ what's wrong with Chet? His Deadlight rant was completely and utterly ridiculous. Going on and on about it "being a game for fucking children and I don't fucking care what you say" and how it has dubious content for children despite being completely ignorant of the 18 age rating it has.

Then there's his aggressive insistence that it's a 1/10 game, even though it quite clearly isn't. It's not great, but so far away from being a 1/10 game that trying to claim otherwise is absurd. A 6.8/10 metacritic score for the 360 and 7.8 for the PC, based on a total of 86 critic reviews. And yet it's a 1/10 game because he watches videos about serial killers at 3am. It irritates me how full of himself he is, in the past he's gone on and on about kneejerk reactions from other gamers, how fickle they are, blah blah and yet he's no better. Just an ignorant and aggressive manchild. Please tell me I'm mistaken and he's not actually a games journalist.

ps elmo was great

I'll take that.

It was Chet who had that rant wasn't it? - i found it quite funny but no nothing about the game or am i likely to ever play it.

Still one of my fave podcasts until Elmo gets bored of babies and brings back joypod!

Ohh, playing catchup latest epp and no mic issues with Timmo - much better :)

Although Joypod will never be back proper I really want to get together with the others at some point this year for a one off. I've missed it a hell of a lot.

In other news I'm on a podcast called White Noise this week and I think it went really well. I was happy with it.

Contrast to my Chet and Jons appearance. I felt proper rusty, swore too much and couldn't focus on a point. But I've had some lovely feedback.

I really miss podcasting.

We told you. Now get joypod going again you tool.

I'd love to mate but I just can't see how I could do it all again at the moment. It was hard enough getting us all together back then let alone with the baby situation.

Zoe Quinn would be a good fit with Giant Bomb for sure.

In semi-related news, looks like you can forget Gary Whitta being on Tested podcast at all in the future - he's the screenwriter on a stand alone Star Wars film :o.

I'd love to mate but I just can't see how I could do it all again at the moment. It was hard enough getting us all together back then let alone with the baby situation.

Harden up, you wuss.

Alternatively, why not get Michael or Sean to take over the organising and equipment setup side of the podcast, so that you can just turn up at the scheduled time and "do your thing"? Sean already does this for Midnight Resistance, so shouldn't be hard, right?

Also, Joypod, it's been 9 hours and 158 days since you took your love away....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUiTQvT0W_0

In semi-related news, looks like you can forget Gary Whitta being on Tested podcast at all in the future - he's the screenwriter on a stand alone Star Wars film :o.

Balls. I loved that podcast in the good old days. Lately i've just been getting increasingly infuriated at how Will has to be the guy who confidently knows everything. Also Gary writes shitty movies. But good for him!

Octoberkast excluded, Gary probably only been on about ten episodes since they teamed up with Adam Savage. As far as I could tell the old office was a short walk from his house so he was on frequently, now they have moved and he has moved (to Pacifica) he was never going to be anything more than a very occasional guest. Really happy he has got the star wars gig though. :D

You did have some valid points but I thought they were completely overriden by the excessive amount of swearing and aggressive tone. Throw in and focus on a factually incorrect statement (that it's aimed at children, something I'd disagree with even without the 18+ rating) and it's bound to frustrate someone listening. People calling perfectly servicable games "1/10" is a pet peeve of mine as well because by labelling those games as such you're ruining the benchmark for other games that actually are truly terrible. If you want to go by a simple criteria of "shit, ok, good" then great but if you use a rating scale then use it fully.

I can't really respond to such an odd observation because (to my knowledge) you and I don't know each other personally. But if you find the expression of opinions troublesome, I'm not entirely sure why you'd listen to any podcast, let alone ours.

That I will agree with. I should have said something like "it irritates me how full of himself he appears to be" because I don't actually know you so yes, I might be wrong - but it's the impression I get from a handful of podcasts. It's not many, sure, but it's been enough for me to realize that perhaps it isn't the podcast for me. I probably shouldn't have started listening again but the pull of elmo was too great and I couldn't resist. Up until the Deadlight segement though (and mostly after; I haven't quite finished it) it was great.

I do listen to a lot of different podcasts and I don't mind strong opinions (I listen to the Giant Bombcast frequently, hi Jeff) but there's a lot of different people/guests with varying personalities and that balances it out. It's perhaps when one person is left to talk uninterrupted, working himself up into a huge rant that things can get a bit silly.

People calling perfectly servicable games "1/10" is a pet peeve of mine as well because by labelling those games as such you're ruining the benchmark for other games that actually are truly terrible.

But truly terrible according to who?

I don't give an airborne bang about "servicable". Footage of paint drying can make for a "servicable" film. Eight minutes of white noise can make for a "servicable" B-side. I completely loathed Deadlight; I thought it was desperate and stupid, and I didn't enjoy playing 95% of it. What's the truest number I could give it out of ten in order to reflect those feelings? No question: one.

Extraordinarily sorry that you don't agree with that, but it does make for rather pleasant proof that we aren't autonomous robots.

if you use a rating scale then use it fully.

I went right to the bottom of it - how much more "fully" could it have been utilised?

Throw in and focus on a factually incorrect statement (that it's aimed at children, something I'd disagree with even without the 18+ rating

I genuinely didn't realise that my own personal perception of how a videogame has been presented and marketed could be a "factually incorrect statement". However, if my opinion has opposed something that is fundamentally a fact, how can you then "disagree" with it?

Because they're both opinions, aren't they?

Anyway, I'm out. I stopped visiting places like this many years ago because of encounters precisely like this one. The moment talk emerges of "factually incorrect statements" we've instantly shuffled onto kindergarten turf. If you can't accept opinions that you don't agree with, I'm terribly sorry but you're really not much of an adult.

Chet and jon's is great and you are weird!

Quiet you

I thought it was obvious that my factually incorrect comment referred to the age rating. It's a fact that it's not a game aimed at children because it has an 18+ rating and they're not meant to be playing it. Nobody is dumb enough to create a product for a target audience that is unable to play/view it.

It's a fact that it's not a game aimed at children because it has an 18+ rating and they're not meant to be playing it. Nobody is dumb enough to create a product for a target audience that is unable to play/view it.

BtkBsGyl.png

uPykBYi.png

I wonder what percentage of the people who play Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto are under 18?

When did GTA 1 come out? '97? I'd have been 11.

I have a very clear memory of watching GMTV before one of my first days at High School. Eamonn Holmes was ranting about how disgusting and deplorable the game was. Put it on my Christmas list.

I love Chet and Jon's. I thought that Chet's rant about the serial killer collectibles was pretty OTT and bizarre and the first thing I've ever really disagreed with on the show (I haven't played Deadlight, btw, I'm going by his description of the game on the podcast), but you know, opinions.