Gaming Podcasts

Beertiger

It feels super creepy to be talking about the Brad stuff, but I guess that's human nature. I don't watch any broadcast tv, but I consume about a dozen hours of podcast material from the bombcast each month. Brad is akin to some X-Factor/Heat magazine flavour of the month to my mum, only I've been listening to those dulcet tones for a decade.

The difference is people who make it on a soap opera/reality tv mainstream way are image obsessed and crave the attention, while Brad is just some dude in an office job making his way through his 30s and filling out.

The only GiantBomb stuff I really pay attention to is the Bombcast, and that's only in recent weeks.

I think it probably suffers because of how much of their time is spent doing video/audio stuff. If all you're doing 24/7 is talking about games on a mic you're obviously going to end up just phoning a lot of it in.

Still on the search for The One Podcast To Rule Them All. I like Chet and John's but the way some of you go on about it I have to wonder if we're listening to the same podcast.

I like Chet and John's, but haven't listened in a while, I don't think it's amazing or anything.

The two podcasts I've stuck with for nearly a decade have been the CAGcast because they have genuine chemistry, and are funny most weeks. And Gamers With Jobs, as I love their PC masterrace focus. Both are around 1 hour most episodes.

Others have come and gone - I really can't stand the big popular podcasts as they seem to think me knowing about their shit lives for 2 hours is something we're interested in. If your podcast is over an hour long, you are being self-indulgent and probably talking a lot of boring stuff no-ones interested in.

The only gaming podcast I've kept with is The Geekbox. Even though it's not totally focused on gaming it has enough that I need. I felt like the 2 hour + podcasts turned out to be a completely self-indulgent waste of time when they weren't 1up Yours.

The new Idle Thumbs theme is great; I always thought the last one sounded somewhat sinister.

A shame episode 150 is forever lost to BigDog corruption. It doesn't seem that infrequent for podcasts to be lost so I can only assume the software everyone uses is a bit rubbish, lacking the required redundancy measures.

I'm definately in a bit of a funk at the moment as far as gaming podcasts go. I love C&J, but other than that I'm struggling to stick with any at the moment. I've been quite enjoying The Same Coin recently, but all the burping and poo and willy talk is getting a bit much for me now.

Think I'm going to give Gamers With Jobs and Jostiq a go. Would be nice to find some new British ones to try though.

The new Idle Thumbs theme is great; I always thought the last one sounded somewhat sinister.

A shame episode 150 is forever lost to BigDog corruption. It doesn't seem that infrequent for podcasts to be lost so I can only assume the software everyone uses is a bit rubbish, lacking the required redundancy measures.

I think a lot of them use garageband... But even the bombcast with a professional radio

studio has had it happen.

I really can't stand the big popular podcasts as they seem to think me knowing about their shit lives for 2 hours is something we're interested in. If your podcast is over an hour long, you are being self-indulgent and probably talking a lot of boring stuff no-ones interested in.

Agree with this, especially "whatcha been eatin'?" sections where people talk about their culinary adventures of combining horrendous processed junk food while trying to make out that it constitutes cooking a decent meal. Listening to some of the stuff the GB guys talk about it's no wonder that America (as a whole) has huge diet-related health problems.

My only complaint about Chet and Jon is their not very thoughtful contributions to the debates about tropes against women / various moral panics / gender politics. It's not really their area. I do understand how as a gaming journalist it must be irritating when colleagues publish ill-considered clickbait that unfairly maligns individual games. But they can be a bit dismissive and disparaging about the whole topic, and it makes me a bit irritable when they do that.

My only complaint about Chet and Jon is their not very thoughtful contributions to the debates about tropes against women / various moral panics / gender politics.

I don't agree with that at all. When they do comment I agree with them wholeheartedly. But when they dodge (and they do that frequently admittedly) the topic I appreciate it largely because everyone else is so desperate to seem like the authority on the subject it just turns into chest beating white noise.

I've been quite enjoying The Same Coin recently, but all the burping and poo and willy talk is getting a bit much for me now.

I love that show these days, so much so that I have learned to love just rolling my eyes when they act up like you mentioned. I love that they are so far away from the industry and don't care about it one jot.

I see what graham is saying but I always felt that c&j just couldn't be arsed with that particular debate and would rather just talk about gameplay more than implied politics contained in the games. Which is something I appreciate.

Don't get me wrong I'm a big believer that there are some very real mysoginistic problems in gaming right now and I try to show how I feel about that with my purchasing decisions. But I do quite like listening to a podcast where they just discuss whether or not a game is fun to play.

there are some very real mysoginistic problems in gaming right now

misogyny: hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women.

sexism: attitudes or behaviour based on traditional stereotypes of sexual roles.

I know I need to go to the "tropes" thread, but I'm starting to struggle with the overuse of the word "misogyny".

It's totally not a discussion for this thread but my bad, I think you're right. Gaming as a whole has a some sexism issues. Unfortunately a (hopefully) vocal minority then goes full on misogynistic when people start questioning that sexism.

Not too keen on Cane and Rinse. I listened to a couple and they're games which I either don't care about or one of them hasn't played it in ages and couldn't be bothered to replay it and completely misremembers bits.

I can't stand Idle Thumbs. It's a group of guys who seem to think they're making a lot more intelligent statements than they really are and there's one guy who refers to "what you can do in a video game" as its "verb set" for which he needs a good hard punch in the mouth.

I realise I sound extremely hard to please but I just don't enjoy them. Will try Crate & Crowbar.

I listened to a bit of The Comedy Button yesterday, which I didn't hate, but it was a bit too "whacky" for me.

I've been very unsatisfied with my gaming podcasts recently. I also cannot stand Idle Thumbs or that Giant Bomb thing. Cane and Rinse is awful and trawling through the last few pages has made me realise that a few other forum members seem to have the same problem. I miss the halcyon days of 5-6 years ago with stuff like 1up yours, joypod, visiting the village, short attention gamer, ninja fat pidgeons, gamerdork uk etc which were just utterly brilliant fun to listen to. OLL is terrible compared to 5 years ago and the less said about garnet on games the better.

Over the last few weeks I've tried some of the stuff recommended on here and its pretty much all been utter crap for my tastes. CAGcast I tried last night and it just went on about diarehea (possible mis-spelling) for 20 minutes.

God, I want some decent gaming podcasts!

I've just been listening to podcasts that have collected in iTunes while I was on holiday and was cracking up at the Lord British surrogate eavesdropping robot and his robot wedding in Idle Thumbs #149. I seriously cannot believe that is real, he is such a weird character.

Yeah, there's nearly always some form of bodily function chat on CAGcast. However it did lead to one of the funniest stories I've heard on a podcast when Cheapy D passed a shit so large he passed out. You can skip the first 10 minutes of each show normally as they just chat about what they've been doing that week. 10 mins I can put up with, 2 hours, nah.

Anyone listen to Brake for Frogger? It's a UK podcast with a fair bit of retro chat. It can be a bit sporadic, but is normally excellent.

I've been very unsatisfied with my gaming podcasts recently. I also cannot stand Idle Thumbs or that Giant Bomb thing. Cane and Rinse is awful and trawling through the last few pages has made me realise that a few other forum members seem to have the same problem. I miss the halcyon days of 5-6 years ago with stuff like 1up yours, joypod, visiting the village, short attention gamer, ninja fat pidgeons, gamerdork uk etc which were just utterly brilliant fun to listen to. OLL is terrible compared to 5 years ago and the less said about garnet on games the better.

Over the last few weeks I've tried some of the stuff recommended on here and its pretty much all been utter crap for my tastes. CAGcast I tried last night and it just went on about diarehea (possible mis-spelling) for 20 minutes.

God, I want some decent gaming podcasts!

So what is your taste?

Looking at the top podcasts on iTunes shows how broken it is. You've still got 1UP Podcasts in the top 20.

I really liked the 1Up Yours format of going through the news and then currently playing at what not. Bombcast is just some guys getting together and even when they like a game it's like they have to be all like "no, yeah, it's fun" to clarify that they quite like it despite how utterly bored they sound.

Well, the stuff I mentioned from 5 years ago really. I generally prefer stuff thats about 1 hour long as well. Chet and John is pretty good, but I wish they disagreed more, both with each other and the general internet consensus. I like a well reasoned argument

I still listen to mature gamer podcast which I kinda like apart from the annoying woman who almost ruins the show. I do prefer uk podcasts versus american ones but there have been some great american ones in the past.

Looking at the top podcasts on iTunes shows how broken it is. You've still got 1UP Podcasts in the top 20.

I really liked the 1Up Yours format of going through the news and then currently playing at what not. Bombcast is just some guys getting together and even when they like a game it's like they have to be all like "no, yeah, it's fun" to clarify that they quite like it despite how utterly bored they sound.

Nah. Brad always sounds like he's about to nod off and Jeff is super negative outside his comfort zone...but when Vinny or Drew talk about anything it sounds like a 7 year old trying to tell his friends how amazing his trip to Disney World was.

I haven't listened to many Bombcasts but a lot of them seem to have Jeff and Brad talking about their stuff first and I can't honestly remember Vinny saying anything, but I have given up on quite a few of them after like an hour.

2613689-rift2_001.png

Vinny's debut manga political satire of the Rift/Facebook thing.

Maybe you just don't get the high brow commentary.

I only actively listen to Retronauts and 8-4 Play these days. Rebel FM is still on my download list but I'll generally read the description before I listen to it because they usually talk about games I have no interest in and I always skip their letter sections because in all the time I've been listening to it I don't think they've ever had a singlt interesting letter. With the Giantbombcast it really hasn't been the same since Ryan died. He brought the energy and enthusiasm to it which countered Brad's boredom and Jeff seeming to not enjoy anything anymore. It says something when the most fun part of the show now is the adverts at the start.