Gaming Podcasts

Beertiger

I really like Famous, it's a shame he wasn't added to the regular line up earlier! I can't wait for the video to go up as I wanna see what stupid faces Video "Games" Rodkin is pulling all the while everyone else is talking about games.

I wish the had Famous rather than Steve Gaynor in the regular line up, to be honest

I wish the had Famous rather than Steve Gaynor in the regular line up, to be honest

It's funny, I really liked Hot Scoops when he was an occasional guest in the first series, and so was quite excited when I realised he was a regular in the second series of casts. I can see why you might not like him as much as the other thumbs - not as open to memes, adverse to strategy games, but I still think he's a good addition to the cast.

Giant Bomb making the second half of their podcast a subscriber perk for a week.

# the bombcast is now being cut into two parts...same amount of time, but just categorized into two parts.

# the full two hours will only be available to subscribers, HOWEVER, that first hour will still be free to everyone.

# in that first week, that full two hours of the bombcast will only be available to members. However, that following week, we will make that free to everyone. yes, that 2nd hour will be put up.

I think what's more galling about the GB thing, is the cost. The subscription (should you wish to) will be $4.95 per month or $50 per year. I've seen the rabid fans saying it is worth every penny, but where do you draw the line if all your favourite sites start doing it.

Probably best having its own topic though.

Fair enough, I guess. It's their content so they can do what they like with it. The Bombcast is probably too long anyway, my attention usually wanders before the end.

I'd imagine they'll rejig it so that all the interesting stuff is moved to the end because no fucker is going to pay to listen to Jeff Gerstmann read out a long list of WiiWare press releases in a comedy voice.

I'd love to know how they have all been paid so far. A few months back Ryan was talking on the podcast about how he had just bought a $350k house - it isn't like they are struggling to put food on the table.

Just reading the NeoGAF thread, apparently they've been living off the initial investment capital for the past three years and have expanded substantially during that time (going from two webistes under the Whiskey Media banner to five and moving into larger digs) all without an actual sustainable revenue model. Now the piggy bank is running out so they're scrabbling around trying to figure out how to keep themselves in business.

Just reading the NeoGAF thread, apparently they've been living off the initial investment capital for the past three years and have expanded substantially during that time (going from two webistes under the Whiskey Media banner to five and moving into larger digs) all without an actual sustainable revneue model. Now the piggy bank is running out so they're scrabbling around trying to figure out how to keep themselves in business.

Thing is, they've worked their arses off to build up a really decent product which they've provided for free up to now. It's thirty eight quid or so for a year - I wonder how many of the people having a tantrum about it work for free?

I am very undecided on the GiantBombcast, I dip in now and again if they have a decent guest or somebody points out a good ep.

I have now made up my mind.

Won't pay, don't care, I'm in no rush I'll get the for free later or wait till someone torrents/fileshares it.

How are they gonna release the second part anyway?!

I don't think your allowed to charge for podcasts in iTunes yet. So that would mean manually downloading and manually synching?!

Too much effort!

Just thought I'd mention that Jeff Green's on the latest episode of the Mobcast, if anyone's interested.

I haven't listened to it myself as I'm not sure if I can stomach the prospect of Dan Hsu talking about EGM again.

It's pretty tame.

Just thought I'd mention that Jeff Green's on the latest episode of the Mobcast, if anyone's interested.

I haven't listened to it myself as I'm not sure if I can stomach the prospect of Dan Hsu talking about EGM again.

If Jeff Green's on, he'll probably talk about CGW magazine. Variety!

Just listening to the Giant Bomb "lets talk about memberships!" cast. I dont think I'll be buying it, but I wont stop using GiantBomb.com either. My one concern about the bombcast is that if they are splitting it to two hour long shows a week, will the first (ie 'new') hour include 15 minutes of Jeff reading Nintendo press releases every week.

I don't think your allowed to charge for podcasts in iTunes yet. So that would mean manually downloading and manually synching?!

Too much effort!

They would probably do it the same way that Gervais did - if you pay you get access to what is essentially an audio book.

Whiskey Media apparently said if they get 5000 subscribers straight away they will make the Bombcast free for all, don't know it they've hit that or not.

I'm not massively pissed off but it does fly in the face of what Dave Snider said about not wanting to cut current free content from people. Delaying half the podcast is a pretty dodgy way of getting round that rule.

I think splitting it up by a week was a bit weird because it's a weekly podcast, youu'd end up with the end of one and the start of another. If it were like half a week, or even the day before, then it's like two mini-Bombcasts just spread around a bit more, which is fine.

I can sympathise, they clearly put a lot of time and money into building the site and need to get some funding, and I think they did it the right way by making the site really popular and with a load of good content first before adding the pay structure rather than restrict it earlier on.

Also just got round to last Idle Thumbs, was excellent, hope that something else comes along to pick up where they left off.

Just listening to the Giant Bomb "lets talk about memberships!" cast. I dont think I'll be buying it, but I wont stop using GiantBomb.com either. My one concern about the bombcast is that if they are splitting it to two hour long shows a week, will the first (ie 'new') hour include 15 minutes of Jeff reading Nintendo press releases every week.

I'm pretty sure they mentioned that all the really topical stuff would be in the first part. I assume that would consist of news and release dates, while the whatcha been playin' segment would be put in the premium section along with emails. Or something.

I thought they made a pretty good case overall. If I was actually employed and could afford such frivolous things, I'd sign up for sure. Those guys deserve it.

Also, competitions are illegal in Quebec? :wacko: