Gaming Podcasts

Beertiger

I never see any love for Weekend Confirmed in this thread :(

I like it. I even wrote a song about it.

But I think the problem is pretty much as everyone has described - Garnett works best in an environment where he's reined in and the current WC cast don't do this. Still a decent show, but it's missing a Shane/John.

I'm looking for something to fill my Idle Thumbs void (although I'm thinking about going back and getting all the early Thumbs I've missed).

Might take a punt on Weekend Confirmed (never listed to the 1up stuff but have to start from somewhere) - unless anyone can recommend something to replace Thumbs to sit alongside the Bombcast on my ipod.

It's either this or start on audio books for my drive into work...

I'm looking for something to fill my Idle Thumbs void (although I'm thinking about going back and getting all the early Thumbs I've missed).

Might take a punt on Weekend Confirmed (never listed to the 1up stuff but have to start from somewhere) - unless anyone can recommend something to replace Thumbs to sit alongside the Bombcast on my ipod.

The Irrational podcasts are pretty good, just stumbled on the Interview ones the other day... i could listen to Ken Levine all day.

I'm also interested in a Thumbs substitute, by which I primarily mean a podcast made by people that actually know what they're talking about and can convincingly discuss games on a design/mechanical level in an entertaining way. Irrational Interviews is a good fit, but I can't see that ever being a particularly regular or weekly thing.

Hang on just a second. Does this mean you haven't listened to CGW/GFW Radio or the golden era of 1UP Yours? If that's the case, I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in recommending that you give them a listen, particularly the former as it's very much along the same lines as Idle Thumbs. It's entirely possible that the latter may not have aged so well, since it was heavily reliant on dissecting the news and events of the time period. Still, 1UP Yours was incredibly entertaining and might be worth a shot. The podcast does take a while to get going though. You could say that the 23rd episode is really where it starts for real.

Also, you owe it to yourself to listen to the early episodes of Idle Thumbs. They're just as insightful, informative and hilarious as the later stuff. :)

More love for Weekend Confirmed here.

Now it's pretty much just Bombcast and W.C. that I look forward to, until Elmo and Michael get the band back together.

Speaking of Bombcast, very nearly ruined by Pachter on the PAX live episode.

Thanks guy. We'll be back in just 2 weeks and I'm really looking forward to recording again

Love Weekend Confirmed, although my new favourite podcast is the Engadget podcast (a gadget podcast that much like GFW, you don't have to be a fan of gadgets to enjoy) Because I love the Engadget podcast so much, and because it's a sister site which I read daily, I tried listening to the Joystiq podcast. Tried to listen to three or four shows but it hasn't clicked with me yet.

Anyone else tried it? Add me to the list of people trying to find a decent Thumbs substitute. Tried Giant Bomb twice now (and I mean two seperate goes at trying to like it, but I really couldn't get on with it) and Rebel FM didn't do much for me either.

Hang on just a second. Does this mean you haven't listened to CGW/GFW Radio or the golden era of 1UP Yours? If that's the case, I'm sure I wouldn't be alone in recommending that you give them a listen, particularly the former as it's very much along the same lines as Idle Thumbs. It's entirely possible that the latter may not have aged so well, since it was heavily reliant on dissecting the news and events of the time period. Still, 1UP Yours was incredibly entertaining and might be worth a shot. The podcast does take a while to get going though. You could say that the 23rd episode is really where it starts for real.

Also, you owe it to yourself to listen to the early episodes of Idle Thumbs. They're just as insightful, informative and hilarious as the later stuff. :)

I'll definately check out the early Thumbs stuff then - I find the injokes amusing but obviously have missed out on the episodes where they originated from.

Whats CGW/GFW Radio?

I used to try to listen to a few podcast but didnt have the time earlier this year, this meant there were loads of casualties, however Thumbs and the Bombcast made it through, now with a longer drive and more time in the car (2hrs+ a day) it's time to get back on them.

Older thumbs and the 1UP Yours it is then - cheers

I'll definately check out the early Thumbs stuff then - I find the injokes amusing but obviously have missed out on the episodes where they originated from.

Whats CGW/GFW Radio?

I used to try to listen to a few podcast but didnt have the time earlier this year, this meant there were loads of casualties, however Thumbs and the Bombcast made it through, now with a longer drive and more time in the car (2hrs+ a day) it's time to get back on them.

Older thumbs and the 1UP Yours it is then - cheers

CGW/GFW is my favourite podcast ever. It really was the Jeff Green and Shawn Elliot show, but it was supposed to be 1up's PC gaming podcast. While PC centric, they spoke a lot about console games too, but the real attraction of the show would be Shawn Elliot's crazy stories and social experiments. The archives really are gold.

There are plenty of clips on YouTube.

I've gone back to the beginning with all the Idle Thumbs episodes yet again.

I actually made a contribution to the archive by having an email read out - I was the guy who was advised to listen from the beginning to get all the in-jokes, told them I was playing Trials HD and then fed them a load of Idle Thumbs memes in one sentence which embarrassed Jake no end.

I've considered making a best-of compliation but Jesus, it would take ages.

If you don't go back to the beginning of the Idle Thumbs episodes, I'd go back and check out the Brodeo shows or 1up Yours classic period from about 2006. Basically, from when Luke Smith joined and the regular crew were Garnett, Luke, Shane and John. It's actually amazing to go back and hear and right or wrong they were about various things.

Whats CGW/GFW Radio?

It was one of the many 1UP podcasts, probably the best of the bunch, and featured the editors of Computer Gaming World magazine (which later became Games For Windows magazine). Like I said, it's very much along the same lines as Thumbs, in that it has a similar mix of insightful videogame discussion, hilarious off topic anecdotes and the odd song thrown in for good measure.

Love Weekend Confirmed, although my new favourite podcast is the Engadget podcast (a gadget podcast that much like GFW, you don't have to be a fan of gadgets to enjoy) Because I love the Engadget podcast so much, and because it's a sister site which I read daily, I tried listening to the Joystiq podcast. Tried to listen to three or four shows but it hasn't clicked with me yet.

Anyone else tried it? Add me to the list of people trying to find a decent Thumbs substitute. Tried Giant Bomb twice now (and I mean two seperate goes at trying to like it, but I really couldn't get on with it) and Rebel FM didn't do much for me either.

I've been listening to the Joystiq podcast for a year or so. I really like it. It can be pretty funny. They do just talk about shit, as with most casts, but I quite like the humour. A lot may be compound though. There is an episode that is a mix of all the humour. I like it is 100 or 150. It's worth a listen. It's definitely not on the level of thumbs, but I like it all the same.

I really like Famous, it's a shame he wasn't added to the regular line up earlier! I can't wait for the video to go up as I wanna see what stupid faces Video "Games" Rodkin is pulling all the while everyone else is talking about games.

The Pax Bombcast was hilarious, weird Ice-T impression aside. Pachter was fucking drunk during their break podcast.

My favourite bit during the GFW days was Shawns weird gross story about getting blowjobs from his friends ugly mum, and the one where his apartment was getting burgled by someone who claimed they were from the future.