Gaming Podcasts

Beertiger

Looking at my iPod Giant Bombcast, Gamespy Debriefings, Rebel FM and Irrational Behavior are my current joints. I'm also patiently waiting for Some Other Castle and One Life Left to resume service.

Is there any problem with that? They signed off saying they'd back at end of March & did the Half-Minute Hero newsblasts to fill in the time.

These are the main ones I try to listen to. I subscribe to a few more, but these take priority.

ChatterBox Video Game Radio

Digital Cowboys

GamerDork

Gamers With Jobs - Conference Call

GameSpot UK Podcast

Giant Bombcast

Idle Thumbs

In-Game Chat

Joypod

MFGamers

Player One Podcast

Sarcastic Gamer Red

Weekend Confirmed

I made a podcast. :) It's the first podcast I've ever made, I just wanted to see how these things are put together so thought I'd have a little go. I barely speak other than for a brief intro, as I thought the sound quality (using laptop mic) was a lot worse than it turned out to be. I hate the sound of my own voice too, so the talk was always going to be kept to a minimum. It's eight music tracks taken from video games from the last couple years, and is around 35 minutes long. I'd appreciate any feedback, good or bad. If you have an iPod or iPhone you'll want to subscribe rather than grab the standard mp3 version, as artwork and chapters have been inserted. I don't want to be too much of a pimp, but MFGamers have around 60 podcasts under its belt which is recorded semi-regularly, and put together by forumites, so feel free to listen to some of the back catalogue. Anyway, below is taken from the post on MFGamers.

There's not a lot I can say that you haven't mentioned already. The audio quality could be much better but that didn't matter once the music was under way. It was a very good selection, half of which I hadn't heard before, so all in all, I'm glad I gave it a listen. I liked the chapter function too. It's most appropriate for a podcast of this type. Very helpful.

There's not a lot I can say that you haven't mentioned already. The audio quality could be much better but that didn't matter once the music was under way. It was a very good selection, half of which I hadn't heard before, so all in all, I'm glad I gave it a listen. I liked the chapter function too. It's most appropriate for a podcast of this type. Very helpful.

I'd love to work out how to do that actually, it would be great for cutting out spoilers.

Is it done using garage band?

I made one of those "Enhanced podcasts" a while back but it wouldn't work. I created the actual file and everything, but when I created a new blog post with a link to the file, iTunes (or even the embedded audio player) wouldn't pick it up.

Apparently you have to go deep into your webpage's database file and edit some values so it accepts this different type of audio file. Well annoying as I spend ages creating chapters and sorting artwork, but in the end I just went back to regular old mp3 files.

Did you have to edit your webspace's database file, RedtroEd?

Not sure what Ed used on his PC, but on a Mac you can use ChapterToolMe. Drag the mp3 in, make your chapter times and pics and then export as a .m4a file.

If you're editing the RSS feed manually, you just make sure it says .m4a rather than mp3 in the relevant places and then your iTunes listeners will then get the chapter version.

It boggles the mind why most podcasters don't bother, especially when you've got GiantBombcast going for hours and just something to mark where the main sections are would help. And yeah, you could just say, "we're going to be going into spoiler territory now so if you're listening to the enhanced version, skip ahead".

I am finding it less funny every time though. It seems awfully one dimensional. The first show Bromley was on I laughed so much it hurt, the last one was a bit 'meh' I felt.

and so the backlash begins...

Thanks a lot for the feedback, much appreciated. There's a few things I'd change if I ever did another, but I'm glad I at least gave it a go.

I'd love to work out how to do that actually, it would be great for cutting out spoilers.

Is it done using garage band?

I used a program called Chapter Master. It was a bit fiddly at first, but I got there in the end. You use a Mac now though, don't you? The suggestion Hendo mentioned for Macs will be a better way to go.

I made one of those "Enhanced podcasts" a while back but it wouldn't work. I created the actual file and everything, but when I created a new blog post with a link to the file, iTunes (or even the embedded audio player) wouldn't pick it up.

Apparently you have to go deep into your webpage's database file and edit some values so it accepts this different type of audio file. Well annoying as I spend ages creating chapters and sorting artwork, but in the end I just went back to regular old mp3 files.

Did you have to edit your webspace's database file, RedtroEd?

I saved it as an .m4a file, and edited the XML feed manually before transferring to the FTP. That's all I had to do. It's the first time I've done it myself though, I don't know if Hendo had to go into the database file and have a play around or anything to begin with when we first started using chapters?

New Bombcast and Joypod to listen to tomorrow. :)

Great GamerDork with Garnett. I take back what I said about call-in guests. Garnett was his usual interesting and entertaining self. Get him on again plz :)

Thanks! We had a ton of questions written for him but we did our best to just follow his flow in the hour we had with him. Much appreciated. :)

Not listened to it yet, but this weeks 4 Guys is all about print magazines and guest stars John Davison. :(

10% game discussion.

30% advertisement for Game Informer. DULL.

10% advertisement for EGM. DULL.

50% discussion of Game Pro with John Davison. Reasonably interesting.

10% game discussion.

30% advertisement for Game Informer. DULL.

10% advertisement for EGM. DULL.

50% discussion of Game Pro with John Davison. Reasonably interesting.

You missed John Davison's inevitable wanking over iPhone games.