Gaming Podcasts

Beertiger

It always seems ungracious to say this, because like, obviously we do a games show as well. But ours is totally different, so maybe it's okay for me to comment without looking like a twat.

The 1up Show is fucking disgraceful. Mind-numbingly bad.

I can't believe people give it the time of day. I'm baffled.

Nah their reviews system is much better and more interesting to listen to, well they were but now it seems to be falling apart and they've ditched the group review style for the majority of them. Of course the other plus is that they get decent interviews. Your show easily creams them on the humor sections though, they are just awful on the 1up show and they have no idea how to do skits. Consolevania isn't perfect yet either and has had some absolutely dire episodes.

Of course the 1up show is getting a lot worse now thanks to Jane and the other blonde woman. Now it seems like they're trying to destroy the 1up yours show as well. You didn't pay them to sabotage it by any chance?

It's unbelievably boring.

I'm watching the new one to see the GameLife guys. Because, you better believe it, GameLife shits all over the 1Up Show.

And Ziff Davis Media Entertainment Advertising Corporation are all set on sucking those boys into their vortex of sterile shit.

The greatest show about games ever is a bunch of boring cunts waffling on about games with absolutely nothing interesting to say whatsoever? Sweet!

That was written back when it used to be good you daft cunt. Time passed and the general feel is that the 1up show is pretty awful now with patches of it's former self. It used to be about people who cared about games. Now it's just boring crap. It's amazing how far they've fallen in 5 months. I'm sure a man with your intellect would have been able to figure that the topic was created that long ago and times change. I've changed the title though, just to stop any future confusion.

That's why I'm rather worried that Jane and Blondie have gotten their mits on the 1up Yours show which has been brilliant so far.

Well, I liked the latest podcast. The bit where Luke went into a laughing fit when he found out Garnett was 30 in 1997 had me in stitches. :rolleyes:

Me too! I really enjoyed the latest one. I think it tailed off a bit towards the middle but, at 1hr 45mins long, that was to be expected. : )

Fucking hell.

Enduring half an hour of Pinckard's frozen-faced emotionless monotone opinionless ramblings, just to see what I thought I'd see - a 1up cunt doing a patronising and uncomfortable interview with the GameLife boys.

I wish the GameLife guys would have had the sacks to turn down the big approach from the Ziff Davis mob, I really do.

lime it is ungracious. you show aint all that.

Nah, I don't think it is ungracious.

Consolevania's got nothing to do with it. They're not even similar shows, so it's not like I'm having a go at "competition." The 1Up Show's a website in video form, pretty much. And we're not.

I'll tell you what IS ungracious though.

1Up approaching us and asking us if they can show Consolevania on their website, us turning them down, and then them allowing people to upload clips from Consolevania and not removing them when we politely ask.

That's ungracious.

Ah so they do know about your show then, and presumably they like it.

Anyway I don't think you can judge the 1upshow based on that last show, because like I said it was probably the most boring crap Ive seen in ages and whether you like the rest of it or not its not always that bad.

I understand they're hamstrung, and that they can't do anything worthwhile because they're tied to a big corporation, and so can't rock the boat for fear of losing advertising revenue and all that stuff...

But they COULD sack Pinckard. The show would improve tenfold. And that curly haired cunt. And....everybody.

Don't mind me, I'm just pissed off because of the sniggering/bullying feel of the whole Ziff Davis/GameLife thing. I think it's a disgrace.

That was written back when it used to be good you daft cunt. Time passed and the general feel is that the 1up show is pretty awful now with patches of it's former self. It used to be about people who cared about games. Now it's just boring crap. It's amazing how far they've fallen in 5 months. I'm sure a man with your intellect would have been able to figure that the topic was created that long ago and times change. I've changed the title though, just to stop any future confusion.

It was never that good in the first place though - like the more recent episodes, take away the industry interviews and the exclusive gameplay footage and there's nothing much else worth watching.

Not The 1up Show on the other hand, is a lot more than that.

That Gamelife interview had quite a nasty tone about it, and that guy obviously thought he was amazing in the same way some of the other staff seem to do. I don't really see how they decided Jane walking around E3 putting down games was interesting either. The only reason I can think of is that Jane herself was in charge of editing the show.

It was never that good in the first place though - like the more recent episodes, take away the industry interviews and the exclusive gameplay footage and there's nothing much else worth watching.

Quite, the thing that used to be good about the show was everything that had nothing to do with 1UP, for instance the interesting opinions of game developers and game footage, the former of which was sometimes inspite of their interviewing "technique" (it's the shit questions that grate, they once had two developers interviewing each other.. suprise suprise their best interview ever).

I haven't watched the latest show and I'm not going to because quite frankly I don't want an hour of pain.

Also, I hate it that those turd faces probably haven't a clue about actually making a game.

The reviews were always better and the show used to flow well. It's all opinions though and some people like it while others don't.

Since Che left and Jane seems to have taken control it's all gone massively down hill and they seem to lack enthusiasm that was once there.

But who would be Jane? :o

Dotterel, obv.

Anyway, the thing about the 1up show, and the reason I watch it every week is that at its heart the basic concept is quite good. In that it's a weekly show with a lot of footage of games that are coming out and are interesting. The reviews are largely acceptable, even if they are in the realm of the over-informative ("dude, they've totally got 20 different weapons and 7 distinct levels, man!"), and not as good as CV's stream-of-conciousness style. And they've got occasionally have reports from events and developer interviews and stuff. So in this regard it's useful.

However, it's so full of extra shit, and that's what kills me. Them playing their shitty D&D game to prove to the internet they're true blue nerds. A show about them filming the 1up show (aka how to get postmodernism totally wrong). Fucking whining for something like a month about the fact that fucking Che left. Who gave a shit? But they went on about it forever!

I was kind of hoping that maybe they'd be moving towards dropping all that shit. The "Not The 1up Show" seemed to imply they might. And the first two E3 shows were pretty good. But that final one of Jane and some random bloke just having a wander through the show, giving basically no information about any games, and then ending up with a mean-spirited laugh at the socially inept. Oh well then.

Still, despite this, it probably is the best weekly show on the net. Has anyone seen the IGN show? It makes 1up look like a fucking David Attenbrough programme in terms of quality.

I was kind of hoping that maybe they'd be moving towards dropping all that shit. The "Not The 1up Show" seemed to imply they might.

The problem with that was that most of the stuff they covered on the 'Not The 1up Show' was absolutely awful.

The reviews were always better and the show used to flow well. It's all opinions though and some people like it while others don't.

You know what, I can't remember any of their reviews standing out, but maybe that's because I don't even regard them as reviews, more like post-play impressions. There's nothing wrong with that approach though, as long as they have something interesting to say.

Dotterel, obv.

Anyway, the thing about the 1up show, and the reason I watch it every week is that at its heart the basic concept is quite good.

I like watching it in the same way I like playing through generic action adventures and eating peanut butter sandwiches: fills a gap, but sometimes feels I'm doing it out of a habitual appreciation of the form. In other words, we've waited so long for a decent TV show to come out and now we're being flooded with broadband examples, we'll flock to the ones that stand out prouder than the others.

So I can put up with the self-indulgence for now, but it wears thinner and thinner with every show. They so need to lay down a decent format and stick to it before the start playing around like first year art students.

I hate to be so obvious but Jane must go. Shes everything gaming doesnt need. In fact all the women on 1up seem to be a bit off. The hippy one seems to think shes gorgeous, the playstation mag one seems not to know much about anything, Jane obviously wants to be a Japanese developers wife.

Bring back Che and Ryan. And the blokes who do the crap game section. Particularly the one with the pink skinhead and van-damme obsession.

Who wants some highly strung bird cocking a snook at all the games on the e3 floor. No no not this one, its got some english text in it.

I've said it in loads of 1UP threads but it bears repeating. It's not simply a subjective issue where people don't like Pinckard's presentation or writing style. She simply has no authority to talk about games.

What sort of dysfunctional interview process fails to weed people like this out?

"So your career highpoint is sticking a rumble pack up your mimsy? I see. When can you start?"

I've said it in loads of 1UP threads but it bears repeating. It's not simply a subjective issue where people don't like Pinckard's presentation or writing style. She simply has no authority to talk about games.

I don't see what kind of authority you need to be able to talk about games. Fair enough, she's a rubbish interviewer and presenter, but she's got as every right to talk about games than someone like biglime, surely?

Yeah I don't want to give out spoilers but John wasn't there and about 2/3 of the way through Jane and that other woman with the dog turn up, and smoking-beanie guy, and they turn it into a total borefest which even the other staff pick up on. The two women keep doing their "we're really hot lets talk about mudwrestling with each other" thing, which is really embarassing :o. I can see why people hate Jane.

Up until then it's good though.

You didn't mention the worst part about Jane appearing. She takes Luke's microphone and not ony that but they interupt him in the middle of a story that never gets resolved! I skipped through their part as it was just so dull.

Also Comrade was spot on with picking up the faults of the show. That episode where Ryan was writing an e-mail to Che was just god damn awful.

BTW has anyone managed to track down any decent footage or screenshots of Mass Effect? On the podcast those guys were saying it was possibly game of the show, but seems there's SFA out there for us folk watching from home to see. Bit weird, that.

just seen this weeks programme. i do quite like this show - but that cunt who interviewed the gaming life kids - derserves to beaten to death (by the gaming life kids). who the fuck does he think he is?

it has gone down hill since che left for MS - i grant you - but its still quite watchable.

sounds like you did the right thing 'lime as you are basically the competision and they would try and make you look like a novelity act.