The Random WoW Thread

I play for 10 to 15hrs a week and I am enjoying it. I am ilvl 210 and have 9/10 on heroic mainly through PUGs. It's WoW and I am not sure what you guys were expecting. The raid is decent, M+ is fun a few times a week and I don't feel obligated to do anything which is great. I fucked off the Maw within the first 2 weeks for example. Being in a small guild and enjoying the banter over comms is an added bonus as always!

I never PVP though. Never been my thing.

Is the solo content any good in this new expansion? I always kind of liked just doing my own thing in Wow. I did try SWtOR, and while the solo content is really good, the actual planets\locations are so boring.

I drifted away after a couple of weeks and just haven’t gone back. It’s pretty telling that I’m furloughed, bored out of my mind and still have zero interest in installing it again. 

I can’t really put a finger on exactly why, just lots of little things that all add up I guess. I hate how disconnected the zones are, the story and lore are absolute shite and I have zero interest in the covenant time gating. My mate that I’ve been playing WoW with since early TBC still loves it though and will happily do every single WQ every day for a bit of extra Anima and I just can’t do it anymore. It’s just there to pad out the minimal amount of actual content in the game.

If you think about what is actually there in the game it’s very little. The zones are pretty bland, have probably the worst stories in any expansion and you can do each of them in a couple of hours. We basically finished it on the day the expansion came out and then if you want anymore lore you have to wait and get another hour or two every week (in between doing world quests and mythic+, which I hate because of the emphasis on doing it quickly). 

Covenant powers are the shit show everyone predicted they’d be too. 

I’d give it a meh/10. Not as offensively bad as BFA at least, just dull and unimaginative. 

Not sure I would say the solo stuff is best ever, it's enjoyable to go thru once or twice, after that you'll get sick of it as it's very linear this time.

I did find that even with the quest locations on the map this time around there is a hell of a lot of quests that are hidden away in a cave or underneath the ground somewhere and I spent quite a bit looking online for where the hell the quest wanted me to go and that's never happened to me before in WoW.

Lets face it, none of the last few expansions are the best ever.

In your opinion, I guess. Legion is widely considered to be one of the best, for example. My personal favourites are WotLK, MoP and Legion.

Listen, I'm not saying Shadowlands is perfect - far from it - and if you don't like it then you don't like it. People moaned that questing was too on rails and easy, so they made quests a bit more spread out, didn't put breadcrumb markers to them, made you go exploring and adventuring and yet here you are moaning about that, too :lol:

5 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Listen, I'm not saying Shadowlands is perfect - far from it

You said it's the best it's ever been? or some aspects of it.

It's totally fine you enjoy it, I enjoyed my first play thru and sort of enjoyed going thru on an alt but it's got nothing to keep me playing and that just disappoints cuz it's a massive part of my gaming history.

13 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

You said it's the best it's ever been? or some aspects of it.

It's totally fine you enjoy it, I enjoyed my first play thru and sort of enjoyed going thru on an alt but it's got nothing to keep me playing and that just disappoints cuz it's a massive part of my gaming history.

Saying the solo stuff is the best it's ever been (which it is) doesn't mean I think the expansion is perfect. M+ is a waste of time (although they're addressing that in a patch in March). The anima stuff is too stingy (but again, they're addressing that soon), the covenant abilities are too good to ignore regardless of thematic choice if you want to progress properly, the pvp gearing system is great until you get hard stuck at 197ish unless you grind for weeks and weeks in normal battlegrounds to scrounge up conquest points to buy the good stuff, or do rated arena and rated bgs to get it more quickly, but rated bgs are too generous with their rating and you can get good rating quickly for much less effort than if you did arena as long as you have a coordinated team. PvP itself is unbalanced to hell, the recent arena world championship showed that with 95% of all  comps having a holy paladin, rogues being able to kill you in a stun and balance druids one shotting people with convoke the spirits, but I personally am having the most fun in PVP I've had for years, especially since I didn't pvp at all in BFA and only a little bit in Legion, despite it being one of my favourite things to do in the game.

The story at the moment feels too disjointed, especially the covenant campaigns. The jailer is a terrible villain, Sire Denathrius was far more compelling and interesting as a bad guy. I'm not mad keen on any of the zones in particular, they're just 'okay' and a bit too similar to other zones we've had before. I still don't like the adventure table, no matter how many times they iterate on it and I stopped going to the maw in week 3 or 4 as it was utterly devoid of anything good to do and not being able to mount was an utterly shit decision. Torghast I really like as a concept but there's not enough incentive to run outside of getting your soul ash for legendaries or doing twisting corridors once through to get the mount which is only one of two mounts you can use in the maw, but since I don't do the maw I'm in no rush to grind it out.

A lot of the complaints in here also seem to be about the community. Whilst I agree the community at large is pretty shit and very toxic, especially if you go to the official forums where it's all doom and gloom and everyone is horrible to each other, I don't have any personal issues with community because I'm in a good, lively and active guild with regular people who do talk, do run stuff together whether that be raids, m+ or pvp and we have a laugh. Getting a good guild makes all the difference to the game, I find.

Anyway, no matter what I say you'll disagree and vice versa, so why don't you go enjoy something else and I'll continue to enjoy this.

10 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Anyway, no matter what I say you'll disagree and vice versa, so why don't you go enjoy something else and I'll continue to enjoy this.

Dunno about that, if there's anything this thread could do with it's some lively discussion, it's been a dying thread for years, such a shame for a once great game.

That’s Castle Nathria, the first raid of the expansion which is massively Castlevania influenced but it is also impossible to solo. It is set in Revendreth, a Transylvania/Castlevania style zone which is the best in the expansion by far, despite being a pain in the bum to get around. 

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously what is the point in doing PVE in this game? I've done 2 mythic +8 and a 9/10 castle Nathria run today and for all that I got 350 anima, there just feels like there is no progression whereas in PVP you can see clear goals to work towards.

They've admitted they've messed up by reducing the drop rate of gear in m+ and raids and they're addressing it in the upcoming 9.0.5 patch which should be due before the end of the month. They're bringing the PvP gearing upgrade system to m+ gear, although you can't buy it directly you can use a new currency to upgrade gear you have to different levels depending on the difficulty of the key - the higher the key, the more you can upgrade.

Overall the great vault is a good addition to the game but it should be supplementary to other drops whereas at the moment it just feels like the best way to get stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Full Elite PVP set on my Paladin (ilvl 215 through PVP - would be 220 but upgrading pieces for honour to 220 is fucking expensive!)

WoWScrnShot_032521_092104.thumb.jpg.5e8540db49205269c60f377d12840081.jpg

Full Conquest PVP set on my Shaman (ilvl 212 purely through PVP)

WoWScrnShot_032521_003551.thumb.jpg.aad414a31a0b33d0994e07d2e74561e8.jpg

Full Conquest PVP set on my Warlock (ilvl 207 purely through PVP)

image.thumb.png.814ad9f89fbd64434394a81cd162bbbd.png