The Random WoW Thread

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

A tank of some kind. 

So that'd be a no then :lol:

Have a pro little group in the making with @Trigg making a return too. I'll be focusing heavily on Mage as always, but Priest and Rogue will be in there for sure.

1 hour ago, Radish said:

Since you seem to know a lot about tanks, is Warrior really looking that far behind? I was settled on one but if they're really that subpar I might have to rethink it. Of course, my other two tank options were Druid and Demon Hunter which didn't even make your list... Maybe I should look into Paladins or Death Knights.

Don't play Guardian as a main. It's just too boring and requires very little skill to maximize. All the other tanks are OK in their own way.

Dipped back into this ahead of the expansion, flew to 50. 

The Nazjatar and Mechagon zones are the worst, time-gated things I've played in this game for years. No wonder so many people fell off during Battle for Azeroth.

And the fact that you need revered in both for flying is a fucking disgrace.

34 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Dipped back into this ahead of the expansion, flew to 50. 

The Nazjatar and Mechagon zones are the worst, time-gated things I've played in this game for years. No wonder so many people fell off during Battle for Azeroth.

And the fact that you need revered in both for flying is a fucking disgrace.

For someone returning to the game after years away then sure, but for people who played through it as current content it was fine, because you got revered just through doing the zone and raid when that was the end game content. Flying was a reward for playing the expansion, the fact you’ve dropped in with two weeks to go and are moaning about not having stuff given to you is pretty daft. 

21 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

For someone returning to the game after years away then sure, but for people who played through it as current content it was fine, because you got revered just through doing the zone and raid when that was the end game content. Flying was a reward for playing the expansion, the fact you’ve dropped in with two weeks to go and are moaning about not having stuff given to you is pretty daft. 

Do you get significant rep from doing the raids on harder difficulties? Because I've done them on LFR, and got about 800 rep from the Q.

You don't just 'get revered through doing the content', it's all time gated to fuck. 

You get revered with all the other factions through just playing the story, but Mechagon and Nazjatar are grindy time-gated hellscapes.

I ran out of content in Mechagon still at 100/6000 friendly. Same at about 2000/6000 friendly in Nazjatar.

Moaning about not having stuff given to me is a total misrepresentation of what I'm talking about. I'm talking about daily gating being a huge mountain of bullshit. 

I now know for flying I need to log in every day for about 20 days straight (calculating the daily rep available) - I can't grind it out, I just have to play by their bullshit time gating rules.

The "hoho, thanks but sorry to continue the story you need 2100 xp with your follower" in Nazjatar when you can only get 300 xp a day is the most blantant 'please don't unsub' time gated begging I think I've ever seen in this game.

Stop defending terrible design.

I've noticed you're very combative in a lot of threads. You probably need to calm down a bit. 

I didn't say it was good design. I said when it was current content it was fine as you were there doing stuff anyway. There was gear, world quests, bosses, story etc to do. It's an mmo. Everything is time gated. 

Mr Shark, you're way off here. I came back about 3 months ago and guess what? I also hated Nazjatar and Mechagon. All the the rep and gear from them is completely useless now. I realised after a few days I was simply wasting my time because the Bencic gear was worse than what I already had. The no flying should have been removed ages ago. It's bonkers you still can't fly automatically in Legion and BFA ffs. I have ilvl 470 gear and have killed N'zoth on heroic but can't fly in content from years ago. Ridiculous. 

As I said, flying is a reward for playing through the content when its current. You weren't there when it was current so if you want it now, you're gonna have to play catch up for a bit. I got flying with no effort because I'd been playing and had done all the prerequisites naturally through playing and as a result have had it for months and months. It only stings for you because you're trying to rush it. You've come back and within three months you're already ridiculously high geared and have beat the final boss of the expansion on heroic, and yet are still asking to be given stuff for no effort? That's what's pretty ridiculous, imo. I don't go into the destiny thread, or rainbow six siege thread and complain that I'm not given instant access to everything everyone else has put effort in for. Flying is a convenience, nothing more. It doesn't make or break the game, everything is perfectly doable without it, it just helps you do it quicker. What do you need it for if you think all the content is a waste of time? The expansion ends in two weeks, everything is going to be a waste of time then. 

Ps: up until three weeks ago or whenever pre-patch dropped you couldn't fly in draenor either unless you'd earned it. 

Hey look if you don't like how it's done that's fine, that's up to you. But it does smack of you coming in here to whinge that you're not being given stuff for no effort. 

55 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

As I said, flying is a reward for playing through the content when its current. You weren't there when it was current so if you want it now, you're gonna have to play catch up for a bit. I got flying with no effort because I'd been playing and had done all the prerequisites naturally through playing and as a result have had it for months and months. It only stings for you because you're trying to rush it. You've come back and within three months you're already ridiculously high geared and have beat the final boss of the expansion on heroic, and yet are still asking to be given stuff for no effort? That's what's pretty ridiculous, imo. I don't go into the destiny thread, or rainbow six siege thread and complain that I'm not given instant access to everything everyone else has put effort in for. Flying is a convenience, nothing more. It doesn't make or break the game, everything is perfectly doable without it, it just helps you do it quicker. What do you need it for if you think all the content is a waste of time? The expansion ends in two weeks, everything is going to be a waste of time then. 

Ps: up until three weeks ago or whenever pre-patch dropped you couldn't fly in draenor either unless you'd earned it. 

Hey look if you don't like how it's done that's fine, that's up to you. But it does smack of you coming in here to whinge that you're not being given stuff for no effort. 

The rest of the game has been retooled to help players jump in, get involved, and see all the content. The fact that @sith can come back and within 3 months kill the main boss of the expansion on heroic isn't because he's some gaming savant (no offense sith!) but because Blizzard have deliberately and consistently made the choice to change the structure of the game to make it more accessible for more people, and to make it so that everyone can see all the content no bother.

Flying being time gated behind daily quests for rep is probably the only part left in the game where something actually worthwhile is locked behind a tedious, dull and repetitive grind. Of course there's plenty of those left in the game, but mainly purely for cosmetic items now. 

Locking flying behind 20 days of repeated quests is terrible design that alienates returning players, and flies in the face of the rest of what they did elsewhere.

I mean, daily time gating for rep was something I thought died a couple of expansions ago, the fact they brought it back in such a huge way in BFA tells me that they really ran out of ideas.

Again, I understand where you're coming from, but you're acting like flying has a massive impact when, in reality, it doesn't.

The rest of the game has been retooled to help players jump in, get involved, and see all the content. The fact that @sith can come back and within 3 months kill the main boss of the expansion on heroic isn't because he's some gaming savant (no offense sith!) but because Blizzard have deliberately and consistently made the choice to change the structure of the game to make it more accessible for more people, and to make it so that everyone can see all the content no bother.

Not having access to flying doesn't stop you jumping in, getting involved or seeing all the content. There is literally nothing in BFA you can't do just because you don't have flying. Flying just helps you do it a bit more quickly. 

Flying being time gated behind daily quests for rep is probably the only part left in the game where something actually worthwhile is locked behind a tedious, dull and repetitive grind. Of course there's plenty of those left in the game, but mainly purely for cosmetic items now. 

Again, it's an MMO. It's how they work. You could say the same about gear, or story. All of it is time gated in some way. World quests have been in the game since Legion (and were dailies before that). They reward gear, rep, items, power for the various game systems and so on. But you have to grind them out to get that stuff. That isn't changing in Shadowlands, by the way. The best gear is locked behind raiding. You have to do the same raid over and over again, week in, week out, to get that gear. I've been raiding Nya'lotha heroic since January. We cleared Heroic in February but we've gone back in every week to gear up, get new people up to speed, play different characters etc, but it's still a grind time gated behind 1) being able to clear the content 2) getting the drops you need. Dungeons are the same, especially with the introduction of mythic+. Grinding is kinda the point of the whole thing.

Locking flying behind 20 days of repeated quests is terrible design that alienates returning players, and flies in the face of the rest of what they did elsewhere.

How does it alienate returning players? It doesn't stop them from participating in any of the content available at max level currently. No content, be it world quests, story, dungeons, raids etc is blocked off to people who can't fly. It's all there and available. Flying just helps you get about a bit quicker. Is it better to fly from point A to point B? Sure. It's faster. Does not having flying stop me from getting from point A to point B? No, it just takes a bit longer.

I mean, daily time gating for rep was something I thought died a couple of expansions ago, the fact they brought it back in such a huge way in BFA tells me that they really ran out of ideas.

Nope. Been there since TBC, has been in every expansion to date, is still there in Shadowlands.  

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

We cleared Heroic in February but we've gone back in every week to gear up, get new people up to speed, play different characters etc, but it's still a grind time gated behind 1) being able to clear the content 2) getting the drops you need. Dungeons are the same, especially with the introduction of mythic+. Grinding is kinda the point of the whole thing.

Kind of jealous of that. I could have so gone for some fun Heroic raids for the past few months, but our guild has at a maximum of like 6 people online at any time, especially since our GM gave up on mythic once we hit the last 2 bosses. I've been getting some characters ready for SL, and I've finally decided on my main. I'm going Hunter for the next expansion, but I'm a bit worried about how many of them are actually going to come back for the expansion launch.

I’ve got 5 characters ready for Shadowlands now!

Most exciting to me has been Death Knight. There’s something very satisfying about the way they can sustain themselves and the various tricks to manipulate enemies.

Least exciting is Hunter. They seem a little clunky and unchanged from classic WoW (make I’m wrong there?)

2 hours ago, ThePixelbarks said:

Kind of jealous of that. I could have so gone for some fun Heroic raids for the past few months, but our guild has at a maximum of like 6 people online at any time, especially since our GM gave up on mythic once we hit the last 2 bosses. I've been getting some characters ready for SL, and I've finally decided on my main. I'm going Hunter for the next expansion, but I'm a bit worried about how many of them are actually going to come back for the expansion launch.

If you're horde let me know and we can try and get you in one of our runs.

1 hour ago, Loki said:

That's some pretty quick levelling! What zones did you choose to do?

Silverpine to 20 -> Hillsbrad to 30 -> WOD intro -> Gorgrond to 40ish (choose the gladiator perk and do the story quest sand all the bonus objectives) -> Spires of Arak to 50.

With treasures and bonus objectives it makes it very quick. The "world record" is around 4 hours 20 mins...

The flying rep doesn’t take that long does it? I did Naz’jatar in like 4 days without really paying attention. I’ve only just started Mechagon but I’m halfway through friendly already. With the way the zones are designed I haven’t really missed flying too much.

10 hours ago, Sirloin said:

Wait, I'm not Revered, I'm Honored. OK, that is bullshit.

Yep, I've figured out in Mechagon the max rep you can get a day is about 1.1k so realistically that's 12 consecutive days of logging in and spending 30 mins doing all the dailies.

1 hour ago, QuackQuack said:

It’s great for me - super charged item level upgrades. Must be naff for experienced players, though. 

Yeah usually I'd agree, but the gear is only ilvl 100 and you'll replace it almost instantly in two weeks, even if it boosts you a bit now. As catch up gear goes it's not particularly useful; I started to grind the tokens on my DK who has terrible gear and quickly realised there was no point.  It would have been nicer if it had unique looks instead of the armour set being the same as two others already in game. Something themed, or even rerelease of the wotlk zombie invasion reward gear. 

On 09/11/2020 at 15:55, QuackQuack said:

I’ve got 5 characters ready for Shadowlands now!

Most exciting to me has been Death Knight. There’s something very satisfying about the way they can sustain themselves and the various tricks to manipulate enemies.

Least exciting is Hunter. They seem a little clunky and unchanged from classic WoW (make I’m wrong there?)

Prot Pally, Frost Mage, Havok DH and Unholy DK. Pushing a Holy Priest up now while I will still be able to gear him as a past time. I've main'ed a Mage since TBC however in Shodowlands I am taking my Pally as my main (group hunting with some friends) and my Mage is going to be my spare time buddy :D. I'm really looking forward to this expansion (Last time I got this hyped was Legion).

On 11/11/2020 at 23:55, Doctor Shark said:

Yeah usually I'd agree, but the gear is only ilvl 100 and you'll replace it almost instantly in two weeks, even if it boosts you a bit now. As catch up gear goes it's not particularly useful; I started to grind the tokens on my DK who has terrible gear and quickly realised there was no point.  It would have been nicer if it had unique looks instead of the armour set being the same as two others already in game. Something themed, or even rerelease of the wotlk zombie invasion reward gear. 

To be fair, the Wrath bosses in Ice Crown are a nice addition, my DH who was poorly under geared went from ilvl 56 to 99 (with killing Nathanos for 2 glaives helping) I've had about 6 pieces of ilvl 110 gear on my DH. I've enjoyed the story side of this pre patch event, The scourge invasion..... has been meh. Org is a wasteland (not just because it's in the desert) Undercity and Dalaran had some outbreaks that I saw..... (and may have helped spread :D).

Oh we talking max level characters? I'll tell you about max level characters!

The following are all level 50:

3 x Paladins (Tauren - my main, Blood Elf, Human)

3 x Druids (Troll, Highmountain Tauren, Kul'Tiran)

2 x Shaman (Tauren, Draenei)

2 x Priest (Undead, Dwarf)

2 x Hunter (Undead, Tauren)

2 x Death Knight (Undead, Zandalari)

2 x Rogue (Undead, Dwarf)

1 x Monk (Pandaren)

1 x Warrior (Orc)

1 x Warlock (Orc)

1 x Mage (Goblin)

So that's 20 max level characters. They range in ilvl from 50ish to 130.

Then I have a bunch between 40 and 45.

:lol:

Ooo, you just beat me. I'm currently on 19, but that's with an Alliance scumbag in there ;) Will be 20 in a week or so though as I have my monk to level with Rach sat at 40.

3 x Mage (Undead main, Nightborne, Human)

3 x Druid (Troll, Highmountain, Zandalari)

2 x Warlock (Undead, Vulpera)
2 x DH (Blood Elves)

2 x DK (Mag'har Orc, Troll)
1 x Hunter (Orc)
1 x Priest (Blood Elf)
1 x Paladin (Blood Elf)
1 x Warrior (Tauren)
1 x Shaman (Orc)
1 x Rogue (Troll)
1 x Monk (Blood Elf)

I've done Nathanos on all of them for weapons, but I'm not bothering gearing any of them with the event. It just seems like too much effort for items that will be replaced a week into the new expansion.