The Random WoW Thread

Bojangle

So I completed Balance of Power to get the artifact appearance on my druid.  Which is nice, as I like the kitty form a lot, and the bear one is pretty nice too.  Go to transmog it aaaaand its not showing.  Had this when I got the Thunderfury appearance on my rogue, so reset my ui and relogged, thinking that would sort it.  Nope.  Was well annoyed.....

Turns out for some reason, unlike pretty much every other class/spec in the game, and even though it shows several forms, on the transmog screen you have to right click the artifact weapon and select which appearance/color you want, and by default it doesnt show the one from Balance of Power.

One good thing about Shadowlands is that it appears they're improving the options for druids and including things like the fire kitty from the Fandral staff from firelands as options if you have it, which is pretty cool.

So not played in over a decade. Have a new laptop and had a hankering to fire it up and see what's what. 

1. Is it still free to play up to level 20?
  2. I don't think I want to revisit my old characters. I think I want to start again. Is there a new faction or a new starting point that might give me a really good fresh entry point into the game? 
  3. Have things changed massively in the last 10 years? 

(I used to mainly solo and do small groups. I was never much into raiding though who knows if that would happen this time)

12 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

So not played in over a decade. Have a new laptop and had a hankering to fire it up and see what's what. 

1. Is it still free to play up to level 20?
  2. I don't think I want to revisit my old characters. I think I want to start again. Is there a new faction or a new starting point that might give me a really good fresh entry point into the game? 
  3. Have things changed massively in the last 10 years? 

(I used to mainly solo and do small groups. I was never much into raiding though who knows if that would happen this time)

1. Yes

2. New starting zone for all characters from Wednesday next week, it’s called Exile’s Reach and covers levels 1-10 and introduces new players to the mechanics of the game. No new faction, but also from next week is “Chromie time” which allows you to pick any expansion to level in instead of having to bounce around them. 

3. Well the core of the game is still the same, but yes, the game has changed massively over the last ten years. I wouldn’t even know where to begin trying to explain what’s changed. The biggest changed happening next week is the level squish: the current max level is 120 but as of next week this is being squished down to level 50, with the new max level being 60 again, achievable by playing through the next expansion due before the end of the year. 

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

1. Yes

2. New starting zone for all characters from Wednesday next week, it’s called Exile’s Reach and covers levels 1-10 and introduces new players to the mechanics of the game. No new faction, but also from next week is “Chromie time” which allows you to pick any expansion to level in instead of having to bounce around them. 

3. Well the core of the game is still the same, but yes, the game has changed massively over the last ten years. I wouldn’t even know where to begin trying to explain what’s changed. The biggest changed happening next week is the level squish: the current max level is 120 but as of next week this is being squished down to level 50, with the new max level being 60 again, achievable by playing through the next expansion due before the end of the year. 

Right. So is it a pretty good time to jump on and probably best to wait till Wedensday next week to give it a go? You mean 14th or 21st?

Thanks dude. Might see if I can get hooked again. And does that mean there are likely to be loads of playing starting new characters in the new area?

The new leveling system comes next week on the 14th in the expansion pre patch (along with all the class changes), so that would be an ideal time to start playing again. Shadowlands was delayed until later in 2020, no specific release date was given. 

3 hours ago, Radish said:

The new leveling system comes next week on the 14th in the expansion pre patch (along with all the class changes), so that would be an ideal time to start playing again. Shadowlands was delayed until later in 2020, no specific release date was given. 

Awesome. Thanks. 

5 hours ago, Sirloin said:

Last expansion I played was Warlords I think. Does the base game now have everything up to the last expansion, so the pack thing with Battle and the Shadowlands pre-order, is that all you need to get current?

Battle For Azeroth will be included in the base game once the pre-patch goes live on Wednesday. All you need to play all current content is a sub.

Welp, all my characters are really low levels!  :o  ;)

Weirdly, the Demon Hunter I created a few days ago but haven't used yet has been lowered from lvl 98 to lvl 8, whereas a Monk went from lvl 20 to lvl 10.  What's that all about?  I was hoping to use the Demon Hunter a bit in Shadowlands without having to level all the way through Azeroth.

Edit - Ha!  I exited to update my graphics card drivers, and now the launcher doesn't load.

13 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Welp, all my characters are really low levels!  :o  ;)

Weirdly, the Demon Hunter I created a few days ago but haven't used yet has been lowered from lvl 98 to lvl 8, whereas a Monk went from lvl 20 to lvl 10.  What's that all about?  I was hoping to use the Demon Hunter a bit in Shadowlands without having to level all the way through Azeroth.

Edit - Ha!  I exited to update my graphics card drivers, and now the launcher doesn't load.

If you'd have logged in/completed the DH starter zone with that DH it would have been lowered to level 25 instead.

I think you might have needed to log into your DH first? I did with mine and it's now level 39. Presumably your monk is an allied race? I think they start at level 10 now. 

I logged onto a newly created character and suddenly the game recognized that my sub had expired, so for anyone else in that rare position... just stick to level 20+ characters and hopefully you won't need to sub :D 

Started playing again after 10 years! Did a Druid as I have never been one before and thought it would be a good multi class to remind me about the different tactics. My son is also playing and has started as a Warlock. Fascinating to see what has changed and what hasn't. 

So much quality of life stuff, half of which are based on the mods that I used to use. Of course all the new areas which I have no idea about but so much fundamental familiarity and muscle memory kicking in. 

One I start levelling are there any new areas that are a must visit? 

I was explaining to my son how it plays so much different now though. A good example was bags. Within 90 minutes my son had a screen full of bags. 

I actually said "In my day getting your 2nd bag meant something." :lol:

In terms of areas being "must visit" it depends what you've seen before. With the new chromie time thing making expansions available from 10-50 and scaling with you, you can do TBC, WOTLK, Cata, MOP, WoD, Legion or BFA from 10-50, or mix between them.

If you've not done Mists of Pandaria or Warlords of Draenor they're both great questing and story experiences. Legion was great, too. BFA isn't brilliant, but it's the most recent.

2 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Started playing again after 10 years! Did a Druid as I have never been one before and thought it would be a good multi class to remind me about the different tactics. My son is also playing and has started as a Warlock. Fascinating to see what has changed and what hasn't. 

So much quality of life stuff, half of which are based on the mods that I used to use. Of course all the new areas which I have no idea about but so much fundamental familiarity and muscle memory kicking in. 

One I start levelling are there any new areas that are a must visit? 

I was explaining to my son how it plays so much different now though. A good example was bags. Within 90 minutes my son had a screen full of bags. 

I actually said "In my day getting your 2nd bag meant something." :lol:

If you use Chromie time and havent played any of them, honestly I think they're all good for a first playthrough.  I've you're going to play through the classic areas, then I'd recommend the below (as alliance);

- Redridge has one of the funnest homage stories with you recruiting WoWs version of Rambo to defend Lakeshire from nearby orcs.  And its full of Rambo references, even the area you meet him for the first time is basically replicates the fighting rings he gets involved in from the film.

- The Badlands has an actually quite touching main storyline that ties into the main story at the time it was redone in Cata, as well as one of the funniest quests in The Day Deathwing Came and a Lost Vikings reference.

- Both Plaguelands are really quite good as well, the Western side is mainly around the undead attacking the town but has a memorable troll druid sidekick in one quest.  Eastern Plaguelands revolves around a caravan making its way to Lights Hope Chapel and had a number of memorable characters who pop up again.

- Ungoro crater has some really enjoyable bits in too, as well as a knight who thinks all the dinosaurs are dragons.

Duskwood and Westfall are both good but not great.  I cant remember Stranglethorn Vale even though i did quest in there, so take from that what you will.  Dont bother with Wetlands and Hinterlands, they're both boring.  I dont think Tanaris changed much.  The rest of the zones I dont think I played through.

From the expansions, the later ones have the smoothest leveling experiences, but I prefer MoP and Wrath due to the settings.  Legion is decent, but the scenery doesnt change too much.  Same with WoD.  But both have some great cut scenes for the story, and the story telling while levelling is probably better in those 2 as well, if thats your thing.  Cata is decent enough but due to all the zones being seperate can feel a bit disjointed.

2 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

If you use Chromie time and havent played any of them, honestly I think they're all good for a first playthrough.  I've you're going to play through the classic areas, then I'd recommend the below (as alliance);

- Redridge has one of the funnest homage stories with you recruiting WoWs version of Rambo to defend Lakeshire from nearby orcs.  And its full of Rambo references, even the area you meet him for the first time is basically replicates the fighting rings he gets involved in from the film.

- The Badlands has an actually quite touching main storyline that ties into the main story at the time it was redone in Cata, as well as one of the funniest quests in The Day Deathwing Came and a Lost Vikings reference.

- Both Plaguelands are really quite good as well, the Western side is mainly around the undead attacking the town but has a memorable troll druid sidekick in one quest.  Eastern Plaguelands revolves around a caravan making its way to Lights Hope Chapel and had a number of memorable characters who pop up again.

- Ungoro crater has some really enjoyable bits in too, as well as a knight who thinks all the dinosaurs are dragons.

Duskwood and Westfall are both good but not great.  I cant remember Stranglethorn Vale even though i did quest in there, so take from that what you will.  Dont bother with Wetlands and Hinterlands, they're both boring.  I dont think Tanaris changed much.  The rest of the zones I dont think I played through.

From the expansions, the later ones have the smoothest leveling experiences, but I prefer MoP and Wrath due to the settings.  Legion is decent, but the scenery doesnt change too much.  Same with WoD.  But both have some great cut scenes for the story, and the story telling while levelling is probably better in those 2 as well, if thats your thing.  Cata is decent enough but due to all the zones being seperate can feel a bit disjointed.

Thats amazing. Thanks. 

And is it easy for us to travel around to all those areas now? Playing in the first few years it was so challenging to get around and travel through areas. Hopefully it’s a lot easier now how everything connects up? If I wanted to visit pandera for example. 

6 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Thats amazing. Thanks. 

And is it easy for us to travel around to all those areas now? Playing in the first few years it was so challenging to get around and travel through areas. Hopefully it’s a lot easier now how everything connects up? If I wanted to visit pandera for example. 

Theres a portal to all the main expansion areas in Stormwind/Org so its generally pretty easy to get there, then for Cata areas you have a portal to each seperate zone in its own bit.  If you're doing classic, its a bit easier than you probably remember as there are tonnes more flight zones in areas than there used to be, but some areas still take a bit of travel to get to for the first time.  I think when they re-did the zones in cata they had an idea of a flow people would take so a few bits follow on by giving you a ride over long distances - like if you do the Eastern Plaguelands story, it opens up something that will send you to the Badlands and give you a ride there even if you havent discovered it.  You get mounts at level 10 now (so straight out of the new starting experience if you do that) and flying is 30, which lets you fly everywhere except the BFA zones.

There's portals back to SW in the capital of each expansion zone, so you can generally explore different places and get back to where you were pretty quickly.

17 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

Theres a portal to all the main expansion areas in Stormwind/Org so its generally pretty easy to get there, then for Cata areas you have a portal to each seperate zone in its own bit.  If you're doing classic, its a bit easier than you probably remember as there are tonnes more flight zones in areas than there used to be, but some areas still take a bit of travel to get to for the first time.  I think when they re-did the zones in cata they had an idea of a flow people would take so a few bits follow on by giving you a ride over long distances - like if you do the Eastern Plaguelands story, it opens up something that will send you to the Badlands and give you a ride there even if you havent discovered it.  You get mounts at level 10 now (so straight out of the new starting experience if you do that) and flying is 30, which lets you fly everywhere except the BFA zones.

There's portals back to SW in the capital of each expansion zone, so you can generally explore different places and get back to where you were pretty quickly.

Wow. (No pun intended) Cheers. The fact that we can portal off to an expansion land and start quest lines sounds really good. Though I guess that sense of wonder as you explore slowly is kind of gone forever! Hopefully we will have some good fun with this. 

I have avoided classic because I wanted all the good new stuff. Can you use the same characters across both? 

49 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

Wow. (No pun intended) Cheers. The fact that we can portal off to an expansion land and start quest lines sounds really good. Though I guess that sense of wonder as you explore slowly is kind of gone forever! Hopefully we will have some good fun with this. 

I have avoided classic because I wanted all the good new stuff. Can you use the same characters across both? 

To be honest, the fact that its more structured now does mean you lose a little of that sense of wonder and that feeling of exploration.  But at the same time, there are still some zones that have a real sense of scale and adventure in them.  I think Mists may be the best expansion for this.  Jade Forest is a wonderfully pretty starting zone, and pretty vast with lots to see.  Then you move into the Valley of the 4 winds which is one of my favourite zones.  Its hard to explain how, but its just a nice place to spend time in.  Then you move up to Kun Lai Summit, which has a massive mountain range with quests to explore in.  The final zones get a bit darker and grimmer as it ramps up to the story for the end game stuff, but theres still some decent questing there.

I made an undead hunter this morning and just logged off with him at level 35 with about 6 hours played. I've been levelling him in Mists, because like @George Clooney I love it. Jade Forest alone took me from level 10 - 30, and I'm halfway through Valley of the Four Winds at 35. 

I like Krasarang Wilds and Kun Lai summit, but always felt Townlong Steppes and especially Dread Wastes weren't as good.