The Random WoW Thread

Bojangle

Currently Draenor goes by stupidly quickly, it takes about an hour to do 90-100 if you are OCDing it (focusing on world quests and treasure hunting). Legion will last longer, unless you level just by doing the daily invasions which seem to give about 2 levels for completing 4-5 quests. I really enjoyed all the Legion class order hall stuff I did on the Paladin but I understand some classes order halls are less engaging, still just playing through all those story lines should give you plenty of content if you don't fancy BFA. :)

Edit: didn't see sharks post so basically what he said. :P

22 hours ago, Nimmel said:

Currently Draenor goes by stupidly quickly

You're not kidding!  I took my hunter who had just dinged lvl 90 there, as per my plan to have that character play through the Draenor story, and by the time I'd built the first part of the garrison, so just after the instanced bit where you're following a big crowd of guys around an Iron Horde base, he was lvl 93!  It won't be long before he's lvl 103 and all the quests on the continent are trivial.  I know I can play them for the lore and the story anyway, but it's a bit of a shame, and takes away that constant improvement hook that WoW has.  The questing around Shadowmoon I did with my warlock looked quite fun.  First world problems to be complaining that leveling in WoW is too fast, I know.  :D

I've been enjoying it there's lots to do for a solo player and I think all the really annoying systems that were in place at launch have been stream lined. Depends on what you want out of the game, if you are just enjoying questing and leveling then there is probably enough content in Legion to scratch that itch. The new zones are very good but the lore feels a bit all over the place due to coming into the expansion late, still the stories throughout the zones are good enough but it doesn't have anything like the class halls.

If you're coming to BFA late and only interested in story, do the quest zones, finish the stories there, weaving in the war campaign quests along the way. That will naturally progress you up to the quests in nazjatar and then finally into visions of nzoth. Don't just jump into nazjatar or nzoth or nothing will make sense. 

Currently on 9 level 120 characters thanks to the xp bonus making it silly quick.  Plus now you can get to around ilvl 420 easily enough soon after dinging.  At least if you have a main that has the legendary cloak and enough boa boosting gear to help you survive some of the expansion quests.  You can skip the first 2 scenarios if you've done them on another character, making it loads less tedious, and you'll get some nice upgrades along the way usually.

As we're getting to the end of BFA now, I've been thinking on where I would rank it among the expansions.  So here's my completely un-asked for ranked list of expansions (spoilered for added drama that no one cares about).

Number 1

Spoiler

Wrath of the Lich King

Lets be honest, most people are going to have 1 of 2 in this spot, and this is mine.  Mainly because the expansion offered a few things that they just havent been able to do as a package since.  First is the setting - I freaking love Northrend.  And not just that, the Arthas story is one of my favourite in WoW lore, and I think they did it mostly really well here.  Questing in Northrend was one of my favourite WoW experiences, with there being a great variety of places, with 2 story heavy end level zones.  I also really enjoyed the raiding and dungeons - yes, heroics were easy for most the expansion, but when you were actually using them to gear up, they were pitched pretty well.  Ulduar is still hailed as one of the best raids, and rightly so, and ICC is a great finale.  Naxx was easy, for sure, but I hit it just before joining a guild, and it was a great pugging raid.

Number 2

Spoiler

Mists Of Pandaria

Say whaaaaaaat?  Yeah, you heard me.  I loved MoP.  Part of it is similar to Wrath - Pandaria is a lovely place to be in.  Jade Forest is stunning, the Valley of the 4 winds is relaxing, Kun Lai Summit is ace - plus it had some great raids.  Throne of Thunder is probably top 5, maybe top 3, I thought that place was great.  Monks were a great addition too, I really enjoyed playing a monk.  But I think the thing that did it for me was that it was the last time I found the gear progression enjoyable.  You could still collect currency from other activities to buy raid gear (and the sets were seperate for the specs, so you had to have specific ones), but if felt like raiding was still the best option, but you could gear alts through LFR or with currency as well.  And LFR was actually decent, MOP got LFR right I think, with bosses usually having a tactic that you needed to follow, even if it was fairly basic.

Number 3

Spoiler

Legion

SAY WHAAAAAAT?!?  Yeah, I loved Legion, so shut up.  There are a couple of reasons I put this over BC, but I'll get to that in that section.  Legion was great.  First the scaled levelling was great, world quests were also great, Demon Hunters were fun.....but the best things for me were all the bits they tied to class identity, mainly the artifact weapons and the class halls.  These were amazing, and while some were deffo better than others - the DK class hall quest is one of the best things they did in WoW full stop, they were generally all entertaining

Number 4

Spoiler

The Burning Crusade

Ok, explanation time.  I definitely enjoyed BC a lot....but in some respects I didnt experience it "properly".  I wasnt in a guild (didnt join one till Wrath), and played a hunter, which meant I could solo stuff well enough, but I found getting groups for heroics hard.  I also didnt have loads of time to play, so while it always felt like I had stuff to do, I didnt have enough time to properly get into the "good" stuff.  Part of me thinks I should rank it higher, but I cant in good concience based on how much I would think I'd like the stuff I missed out on.  It was still really good though even as a casual, mainly because I always had something I felt I could work towards that was rewarding.

Number 5

Spoiler

Battle for Azeroth

This is the point where the expansions from now on deffo had their fair share of disappointment.  Early BFA wasnt that great.  Levelling was fine, story was ok.  I really like some of the zones, and while I can see what they were going for, the 3 zones per side makes it feel a bit small.  Island expeditions were not good.  The artifact item here did not feel as good as the weapons in Legion.  The later content added was decent (bar Nzoth being a shit boss for the end of expansion) and the shit the bed a bit with the resolution to the war I think.  But mostly the story was good - Jainas story was really well done I thought.  I've also enjoyed the dungeons and most the raids.  I would argue some classes/specs are boring too - I cant bring myself to play my priest - but some are really fun.  Its better now that it was at launch for sure.

Number 6

Spoiler

Warlords of Draenor

These next 2 both had some serious issues with them, and while there was definitely stuff in I enjoyed, there wasnt nearly as much as other expansions, and there were some flat out mistakes that lasted the entire expanion.  WoD looked really good pre-release, and after I was pretty hyped about it.  Levelling was enjoyable, and the garrisons - the big feature they hyped in the expansion - felt fun and engaging.  Then the rot set in.

First of all, a bunch of stuff that was mentioned in pre-release either got changed or didnt make it in.  Both factions were supposed to have lore-heavy capitals, which got scrapped for basically an outpost.  Garrisons barely changed after levelling, and most the stuff was cosmentic grind or boring.  Even then, the amount you could change in there was pitiful - pre-release this had been something they were keep to express was a big thing, even saying you could choose where your garisson was to be.  Plus you could do everything from there, so most people just stayed in their garisson.  It was also the start of follow quest style mechanics, which they've never really made interesting, they're just something they lifted from Star Wars TOR, except it kind of worked there.  Then there were the Warlords, which were sold as us chasing down and facing the 7 Warlords, likely as key points in the story, finally facing Grom Hellscream, who they said would be the end boss.  Instead we got a bait and switch with Grom joining us as we pivoted into leading into Legion with Archimonde, and I think we got to face 4 of them - one really oddly placed as the first boss in the first raid in a weird lore explanation.  In fact, in terms of lore, WoD, was by far the worst, mixing some actually really good individual cut scenes with a story that felt all over the place and didnt really make a lot of sense.

Wod did have some good raids though - Blackrock Foundry was really good, HFC redux was decent too.

Number 7

Spoiler

Cataclysm

Aaahh, Cata....you showed so much promise.  You boosted the careers of a number of popular Youtubers who snagged beta access.  You were going to revamp the old world, and balance the classes.  You were coming off the expansion which had seen the highest number of players in the game....where did it go wrong....

Cata was the expansion where Blizz listened to their players, and it backfired spectacularly.  Despite its popularity, there were a lot of people that complained about some things in Wrath.  Healing was too spammy and boring and mana didnt matter.  Heroics were too easy and epics to easy to obtain.  There was too much disparity between tanks and healers and they fell into niches.  So, they totally changed healing to a "triage" system designed to make you think about healing more and make resources matter, they changed heroics to be super challenging and make you use cc and interupts, and punish not following tactics.  Epics were hard to get at the expansion start, with heroics dropping blues, and no gear increase in lvl from the end boss.  Sounds fine on paper....but in reality, healing became a fight against your party where mistakes meant draining your mana bar, and left you quickly out of options.  Dungeons required trash to be dealt with properly, making CC and interupts a must, but making several of them a slog.  Bosses were often super punishing and messing up once could wipe you.  Healing early on was horrific, meaning that queues for LFD were often towards an hour as a dps, and could then fall apart on the first boss as people messed up.  The lack of rewards meant people were often not that motivated to do them.  This wasnt as bad in a guild if you had a decent regular group.  But even then, this wasnt challenging in a good way.

There were other bits too, like how the levelling was now 5 levels and the levelling zones were spread over the normal world.  It was also one of the worst expansions for raiding, with Dragon Soul being a disappointing final raid, the number of bosses being the least of any expansion, and arguably not many, if any, stand out encounters.

It did a couple of things right.  The levelling revamp was well done, and the changes to classes at lower levels so you got iconic abilities early on meant that classes were much better levelling.  Goblins and Worgens were both well done, with good starting areas.  And the addition of mastery as a stat was really good, even if I think they toned down the uniqueness of what it does for each spec.  But it made me change my main from my druid because I hated healing, and made a lot of activities frustrating, boring and unrewarding.

I'd personally go:

WOTLK - my favourite by far. Loved the theme, the story, the zones, the music, the raids, Death Knights, everything. Ulduar is my second favourite raid. 

MOP - thought it'd be terrible, ended up brilliant. Fantastic story, loved the zones (isle of thunder is a personal favourite) and the raids - Throne of Thunder is my favourite ever raid. 

Legion - loved class halls, loved artifacts, loved some of the stories, loved the raids and dungeons, don't like the legion think they're boring, got fed up of black and fel green.

Cata - I didn't mind cata. I liked the zones and story, raids were so-so. Dungeons were good. 

BfA - enjoyed the story, the zones, the new races, liked the dungeons, disappointed by islands and warfronts, raids were mostly shit but Battle or Dazaralor was fantastic, up there with Ulduar and Throne of Thunder for me. What drops this one is the complete shitshow blizzard made of it. The story, the systems on top of systems on top of systems, the RNG, they just screwed up one thing after another. I liked the faction war, I hate what they did with Sylvanas, I hate what they did with nzoth. Complete shitshow. 

TBC - I was doing ten man stuff, but missed out on most of TBCs endgame because it was only for large guild's, so like you never felt I experienced it fully. 

WoD - caused me to take a break from wow for a year, my longest ever time away. Enjoyed it when I came back when tanaan was released and I finally got into druid as a class, but overall it was bad. 

I've been in a similar situation to @feltmonkey recently as I also started playing again. 2hrs a night. I cleared all of the regular quests in MOP and now slowly going through WOD. I don't care about my level tbh. I have plenty of time so just enjoying going through each zone slowly. Good for getting gold too. I'm winging all this garrison stuff though. Should I bother with it?

The only downside is not being able to do the 5 man instances so I can't see the resolution of some story arcs.

With Shadowlands still way off, no point in rushing to BFA content imo.

3 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

The garrison has no bearing on the story once it's set up. You can ignore it. 

Thanks. How about professions? I have JC and LW, should I just leave them until later?

I've been using the garrison for professions. I get a lot more of the main resource I need by having buildings in the garrison dedicated to my professions and doing work orders. I have even been nipping back from legion each day using hearthstones to keep collecting the resources. I've always liked doing the profession stuff in wow. I also used to wheel and deal on the auction house to get enough gold to level my professions, but that seems to be a non-starter now. 

The professions in WoD seem very odd. I can learn one pattern a day, but they're all purples and require resources it takes several days to accumulate? The patterns I learnt when I got Draenor tailoring or leatherworking are all blue. Aren't there any basic easy to make greens for leveling and disenchanting? Am I doing it wrong? 

Edit - great write-ups on the expansions by the way, guys. I agree, my favorites have been WotLK and MoP. WotLK because it was the time when I was in an active guild and was able to get involved in some of the end game stuff. MoP because it was absolutely gorgeous and I loved the zen pandas. 

Had heroic N'Zoth on farm for a couple of weeks now and I've tanked it on my monk, druid and paladin trying to pick a main going into shadowlands. Still no closer to making a decision! 

Druid is the most boring tank alive, but I enjoy feral, boomkin and resto, plus instant flight. 

Prot Paladin is ok, I enjoy the visuals but the spec lacks a bit of oomph, Ret is quite good and I've not played holy but understand it's good if you have the right gear. I love plate and shields, though. 

Monk is the most fun. I enjoy windwalker on occasion and love mistweaver, but don't really like leather transmog. 

Was also thinking DK but want something that can heal and tank. 

Now on 10 level 120s.  Seriously, I started on Tuesday and was 120 on Thursday with my DK, though I did have some additional heirlooms (I only used one of the ones that would go in azerite armour slots as the stat drop is massive), the war mode bonus, and the 5% exp gem in a slot as well, and was mostly on rested exp.  I was getting 9k exp per node mined, and between 46-60k exp per quest.  Hoovering up quests from hubs that give you around 4 at a time, and you fly through the levels.  It also took less than 2 days to get to over 420 ilvl.  Im tempted get the remaining 2 classes (warrior and priest) up to 120 in the next couple of weeks, but honestly I find priest super tedious to play now.  Warrior isnt my fave but at least I can switch up specs to freshen it up, which I did with the dark iron dwarf warrior I leveled to 110 recently to get the armour.  Shadow just doesnt feel good to me levelling as voidform may work on a longer boss fight, and feel engaging there, but levelling up you have too much ramp where you dont feel like you're doing much damage, then you hit voidform and waste most of its benefits because the mob dies.

Probably levelling my hunter first in SL purely because I've always considered her my "main" even when I've been playing other classes more.  This is actually the first expansion for a while where she'll be the best geared by the end of it.  Almost always been the first one I level though.

Sorry just catching up - end of war campaign

That's their ending?

"The Horde is stupid. Now I must go, the next expansion needs me." poof!

It's quite a twsit from intro scenario/cutscene of her screaming "For the Horde" to "The Horde is nothing". Shame none of the writing along the way dealt with that.

I never really got Sylvannas being "evil" as everyone says. Sha wanted to win the war. Alliance have done just as much aggression but she seems to be the designated villian. (Which is shame as I liked her pragmatic, trying to save her people approach up to this)

Compared to rebels who cut down Horde troops left right a center (a throwway line from Baine about them being loyalists, before he kills a ship full to rescue Mr Proudmore was particularly egrecious)

I loved they couldn't think of a way to get out of it beyond her suddenling losing a fight she was easily winning, and then just blowing a rasberry at the Horde (for some reason she got triggered...when has she ever?) and leaving

Did we know there was a deal between Azshara and Sylvannas? Nathanos is shifty as hell at the start of Nazajtar but that's about it unless I missed something?

I wonder what the new Zandalari allies think of us being besties with the ones who killed their kind?

Jesus that was bad - even for Blizzard

Yeah it's not great, but you missed a few things that may fill in a few of the blanks...

Spoiler

Alliance did basically nothing to push the war this expansion, they've only retaliated to the horde's actions. They've also lost every major conflict.

Horde burn teldrassil -> alliance lay siege to Lordaeron (and lose)

Horde infiltrate Boralus and steal their priceless artifact - > alliance lay siege to Dazar'alor and steal it back, blowing up the Zandalari navy along the way (and still lose).

Technically lore-wise they win battle for arathi and battle for darkshore, but who gives a shit you don't see that in game.

What mostly pissed people off was they kept saying there were two sides to this war and it was all morally grey, when really Sylvanas instigated everything, was evil as shit, killed thousands, the alliance got bitch slapped around as per usual and did nothing major in retaliation.

And yes, Sylvanas was "evil". She did a full on panto villain turn, going from nuanced and tormented leader trying to find a future for her people in a world that hated them to full on genocidal maniac with seemingly no provocation. She killed her own kind just to spite them and their families (the pre-expansion book), killed Calia Menethil just because she could to spite Anduin (pre-expansion book), burnt down teldrassil just because some random nelf baited her (pre expansion patch story) even though the battle was already won, killing thousands of night elves in the process, plague bombed her own troops then raised them to fight again and then bombed her entire city turning it into a nuclear wasteland (battle for lordaeron) to spite the alliance, got you to hunt down saurfang, got you to dredge up Derek Proudmoore and turn him into a forsaken so she could torture him to try and turn him into a suicide bomber, imprisoned baine and was going to execute him, killed Saurfang, said "fuck the horde" then went and beat up the lich king and tore a massive rip in the sky to make a portal to shadowlands to team up with WoW's version of Death. She also made dodgy deals with Azshara (it was heavily implied that was why we went to Nazjatar in the first place and then outright explained during the nzoth fight in the last raid), all to kill thousands to feed souls to the shadowlands.

They could have made a "two sides to every tale" style horrors of war story, but instead they just did Garrosh 2.0 and it was terrible.

I don't have anything intersting to add to the thread.  I just came to report that my son is very amused by one of the guys you can send on missions from the Warlock garrison in Legion.  He finds it hilarious that every time you select him for a mission he says, "I will leave butt cinders!"

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve got nyalotha on farm now, can clear heroic in a single night if we don’t mess about. So tonight we went achievement hunting in old raids. Managed to do all of Uldir and half of Battle for Dazar’alor. 

E0C67F54-37E7-4ADF-9F8F-B60F88AE641F.thumb.jpeg.990aaf894d9def6ce8ae88701c7d017d.jpeg

Thats my Tauren protection paladin in the middle. Ilvl 465. 

11 max level characters now.  Just priest remaining which so far I’ve found utterly tedious.  Didn’t even really intend to do another, but I’m off work now, thought I’d log into my Warrior, and 2 hours later I’d gone from 114 to 120.

Aside from that, ill have enough timewarped badges on my Paladin next event to buy one of the mounts.  Next event is BC though, and the one from that is plain AF.  So I can either buy the wrath mount from the event after, which I like, or wait aaaaaages for the WoD one to come back round, which has decent mounts as well.  I am almost certainly not patient enough for that though so Wrath mount it is.

11 max level characters now.  Just priest remaining which so far I’ve found utterly tedious.  

This, so much this. I have every other class to 120. But the priest is stuck at 113 and I can't bring myself to do anymore with them, they only got this high because Legion invasions got me to 111 without thinking about it. I just don't get shadow.

I got a priest to 120 on alliance and it was by far the worst of the lot, such that I didn’t even bother to level my decked out, all legendary available to him undead priest. Just couldn’t face it. 

also, I have 16 120s :lol:

My “top 3” are my protection paladin (Ilvl 465), brewmaster monk (Ilvl 463) and guardian Druid (Ilvl 460). 

I really like Horrific Visions a single player that doesn’t raid 

But I can’t do them as/when because of Blizzards desperate padding/time gatin/locking behind tedious content 

God they really shit the bed with 8.3....

I'd rather they'd half the echos earned (Or just brought it more in line with the M+ rewards, say equiv to a +10 for a full clear) and just removed the cost to enter. I'm trying to gear up a lazer chicken at the moment, and visions as a chicken feel rough. I'd love to push for more of the currency and the higher gear, but the fear of "wasting" 10k is too great, given that I'm still after echos for rank 3s and corruptions.

They really should be sticking echoes on pretty much all content at the moment. It seems baffling that it's not on islands. Just let people do what content they want, in the way they want to do it.

I wouldn't say they shit the bed with 8.3, but they're infuriatingly close to solving all the issues I have with the current vision of what WoW is. I've been holding my tounge about Shadowlands at the moment, it LOOKS great, but they've not shown the endgame loop yet. There's a few bits of the covenant system that look slightly concerning. Mainly the venth ability to teleport to a location is WAY too powerful, to the point that it just needs to be trashed right now. The other one is the priest night fae ability, which is currently forcing the missus the consider droping the priest entirely in Shadowlands if it stays in (It's not a spell for you, it's a very powerful spell for someone else, and people are going to get activly narky about who gets to use it on an hourly basis).