The Random WoW Thread

1 hour ago, yashiro said:

I doubt they'd waste their time with trivial shit like that.

Waste their time digging up and applying the actual spawn data? That's my point. Maybe they couldn't be arsed and it's a flat 48hr respawn now.

Several people on my realm across both factions with multiple kills and no trinket, which suggests the old 40% chance has been reduced.

• 2 weeks later...

Blizzcon is in full swing and amongst many of the new announcements (the latest Hearthstone expansion, Diablo 4, Overwatch 2) was of course a new WoW expansion, scheduled for release by December next year, called The Shadowlands.  Basically leading on from this expansion Sylvanaas decides to shatter the barrier between this world and the undead plane of the Shadowlands.  Doesnt seem like they're doing any new classes/races this time, but there is some big stuff in there in my opinion;

- The new level cap is....level 60.  Whaaaaaat?  Yes, you heard me.  They're basically squishing everything (which I totally understand) and revamping leveling.  Now, you'll have a 1-10 starter experience, then after that you can effectively pick which "era" you want to level in via Chromie (which does get round scalling when you can do quests out of the time line order I guess).  The idea is that it'll feel more meaningful as they'll be able to dish out more stuff per level.  The expansion stuff starts at 50.

-you'll have to choose a "covenant", which affects bonuses and abilities you get. Basically you get to pick one of 4 factions that represent the different leagues of the undead forces.  Not been shown too much, but you'll get at least 2 abilities to use specific to which one you pick (and one is class specific).  Seems like the replacement for Azerite stuff.  An example shown was a paladin ability that gave you a 1 min cooldown that basically AOE'd everything with one of your main skills depending what spec you were (eg, if you were Holy, it would Holy Shock everything in 30 yards).

- More customisation- stuff like being able to change the appearance of bones on undead or even covering them completely, more options for colours or faces (you can make ones that actually look like difference ethnicities now as humans, rather than white people who overdid the tanning).

- Death Knights for Pandaren and the alliance races - the arguement was those races werent around when the lich king was raising people, guess the story has moved on from that.

- Torghast, Tower of the Undead, a roguelike dungeon for 1-4 players. no idea why not 5, but the idea is that it gives you something that will reward you for continually playing and progressing, but changes each time.

- 5 new zones (1 max level), 8 dungeons on launch, 10 boss raid up first - The 4 levelling zones represent each faction of the dead, and to be honest the artwork looks pretty amazing.  The zones range between pristine white, heaven inspired with angelic themed, sweeping architecture, to gothic, vampire styled areas complete with run down looking castles.  There's also a druid inspired nature based one, and a more necromancer, blight filled themed one that harks back to Naxxramas.

Preorders are already up, £35 for the base one, £50 for one that comes with a mount and a level boost, and another than comes with a bunch of stuff on top of that like a pet and 30 days playtime for £70.  If you preorder you get most the bonuses now, and can make a DK Panda/allied race character when 8.3 hits.

There's nothing in there that blows me away, but I'm cautiously optimisitic.  The artwork for the areas so far looks amazing, so if nothing else, it has that going for it.

On 07/11/2019 at 08:26, disperse and recoagulate said:

I think it was “play solo, or with 4 friends” which would be 5.

Yes, reading more stuff about it, that should have been how it interpreted.  I think i misunderstood because the bit i read said you can run it solo or take 1-4 players, and rather than go with the logical option I went with the incorrect reading....

The 15th anniversary event is in swing now, the main thing being that there are 3 "raids" from previous expansions (BC, Wrath and Cata) which involve short-ish wings for each through the raid finder where you do 3 bosses from each.  Complete them all and you get the Obsidian Worldbreaker mount, which is basically Deathwing in mount form.  You can also get the chance to have an item from each era upscalled to ilvl 420 from a chest at the end, as well as a chance for a rare mount approprate to each wing.  BC you do Lady Vajsh, Kael'Thas and Archimonde, and can get the Ashes of A'lar, Wrath you do Heigan, Anub'arak and Lich King and can get Invincible, and Cata you do Nefarian, Cho'Gal and Ragnaros and can get the Pureblood Fire Hawk.  They're supposed to be a small drop chance, but I saw 2 drop in my runs.

That said, the events themselves are weird.  You dont actually do the boss fight.  You do a bit of it, and sometimes its like you dont even have to do it properly.  For example, on my first go of the Wrath one, almost everyone seemed to have forgotten how to do the dance on Heigan and died.  But it just autocompleted.  Ironically, doing it properly just makes it take longer - we got a group where most people did actually know what to do there, and it took a while before it triggered whatever completed it.  The bosses health pools are such that the scaled damage you do doesnt really give you a chance of killing them, so you just hang on till you finish.  But it only seems like you can "fail" on the last part, and if you do, you have to repeat all 3 bosses.  Which is annoying when you have something like Lich King were if people dont move out of defile quick enough, it pretty much kills everyone.

The other thing is you get a buff for the entire event that increases rep and exp gains by 10%, making it a decent time to catch up on some rep if you are behind on some factions, and also if you want to get some alts up.

1 hour ago, sith said:

So I caved and bought BFA. Should I auto level my shaman to 110 or play through the older content?

He is currently level 86 and I haven't played for about 8 years!!

Oh my dear boy. Legion was the one to cave for, BfA is so godawful I may never play again on general principle.

You could have been smiting things with the Doomhammer, doing awesome solo challenge fights for cool af unique skins, an ace HD version of the T6 set, and living out a cool Shamans of the world unite story.

Ugh, the way they managed to drop the ball so completely with BfA makes me irrationally mad, it's like the old Arsene Wenger quote: "when you have become used to caviar, it's hard to go back to sausages."

That's a bit hyperbolic, don't you think? At this point, BfA is just legion wearing blue and red rather than green. Most of the issues have been ironed out at this point, unless you're a top 100 mythic raider. If you're one of those, then yeah, BfA is a pretty bad time.

Raids are very good

Mythic+ is still solid.

Questing is still good.

Mechagon/Nazjatar are excellent end game zones.

Every time I log in, I currently have something to work towards. With the death of Titanforging in the next patch, this is going to be even more prevalent. Outside of a few outliers, the classes are currently playing well too. So seeing that Shadowlands is more going to be a refinement rather than a revolution is very promising to me.

What exactly about BfA is "so godawful" now?

i) The raids - I hated the first one, and had already checked out mentally that I quit either on/after Rasta'kahn, honestly can't remember. The mechanics on most of them up to that point were awful, with G'huun leaving me wanting to actively murder someone.

ii) The dungeons were boring and cramped, and M+ didn't expand/improve on Legion's, it just ramped up the bullshit to ever higher levels. It got to a point where I simply could not be bothered to even do an M+ each week, because it was a complete chore and for what? Some poxy RNG chest non-upgrade that would probably get sharded right away.

iii) Gear - ditching tier sets for incredibly boring and flavourless, one size fits all garbage was a terrible decision. Completing a set for transmog was always fun and a powerful incentive to play but when its the same set for every armour class and has been phoned in as much as these were, the incentive to keep at it is well and truly gone. Then when you add the godawful Azerite unlock stuff on top, speaking of...

iv) The Heart of Azeroth - going from a cool weapon that you can get a dozen different skins for to a hidden slot that you have to keep pouring into just to unlock abilities on the item you just got, making it not an upgrade yet so you have have to decide whether to keep wearing an existing piece a while longer absolutely takes the piss.

v) The War Campaign - every single thing about the story was complete and utter garbage, character assassinations and literal character assassinations by the bucketload, it was just a worse version of MoP's campaign, fuck that noise. And the Battlegrounds thing soon lost its appeal, especially when so much of the scripting broke and you'd find yourself twiddling your thumbs waiting for Maive to pop up (Narrator: She never popped up).

vi) The New Areas  - three borings zones each per faction, then you get to do a little stuff in the other faction's equally boring zones.

vii) NEW ALLIED RACES! - that you then have to grind out ages for, and even then some of them weren't made available until six months later. Like, if you're gonna make a big deal about adding Kul'Tirans and Zandalari then you're still waiting for them months later, that's shady as fuck. Plus some of the allied races felt really phoned in, the Nightborne lacking so many of the animations and the class armour being so limited considering the multitude of appearances the NPC versions had

viii) Class tweaks - they managed to make every spec I played far less enjoyable, with the exception of DH Havoc and *maybe* DK Frost, it just drained my will to stay subbed

As for the things they've done since I unsubbed, none of it holds any appeal. Robognomes? Nee thanks. WhatsApping my GM, they said the Eternal Palace was a miserable clusterfuck of a raid, no one really seemed to like it much.

Yeah, questing's okay but meh, nothing amazing enough to make up for the rest of it. You love it?  but having enjoyed most of MoP and WoD, and against all odds found Legion to be joyous all time high of an expac, BfA went down as well as refried vomit. It does most things Legion did but so much worse. And while you can see them trying to dial back for Shadowlands, it's probably too late for me, they've lost all my goodwill. The skinner box was laid wide open, all the fun was nickle & dimed to the tiniest fraction etc.

Nice cinematics, mind.

4 hours ago, Pixelbark said:

Either play through the older content, or hop into the anniversary AV which is giving absurd amounts of exp at the moment.

Alterac Valley?

I don't plan on raiding until Shadowlands, so I am kind of torn. Should I just level up slowly and have fun or just jump straight in to BFA and enjoy the anniversary stuff.

On 18/11/2019 at 15:14, sith said:

Alterac Valley?

I don't plan on raiding until Shadowlands, so I am kind of torn. Should I just level up slowly and have fun or just jump straight in to BFA and enjoy the anniversary stuff.

Just. Play. Classic.

(Hydraxian Waterlords, Horde-side!)

16 minutes ago, PinkMoon said:

Just. Play. Classic.

(Hydraxians Waterlords, Horde-side!)

Haha, good point. Not sure I can stomach the 1 to 60 grind again and I only want to be a shaman. I wish I was interested in playing another class then it would make it more fun.

On 19/11/2019 at 14:39, sith said:

Haha, good point. Not sure I can stomach the 1 to 60 grind again and I only want to be a shaman. I wish I was interested in playing another class then it would make it more fun.

How much playtime do you have? I'm nearly ready to start an alt, so could buddy up with you. I did 1-60 on my Classic main in less than half the time I took in Vanilla, even with a heavy chunk of dicking about.

4 hours ago, PinkMoon said:

How much playtime do you have? I'm nearly ready to start an alt, so could buddy up with you. I did 1-60 on my Classic main in less than half the time I took in Vanilla, even with a heavy chunk of dicking about.

I just logged in to my main account for the first time in 8 years. I can't remember anything haha. Elemental rotations, all the different totems and not to mention all the new talents and abilities. Crazy to think all this was 2nd nature once upon a time.

Buddying up sounds great. However I'll be living in Tokyo until January. What time do you usually play?

19 hours ago, sith said:

I just logged in to my main account for the first time in 8 years. I can't remember anything haha. Elemental rotations, all the different totems and not to mention all the new talents and abilities. Crazy to think all this was 2nd nature once upon a time.

Buddying up sounds great. However I'll be living in Tokyo until January. What time do you usually play?

Evenings generally. The occasional hour at lunchtime on weekdays. Are we incompatible, even after all these years?!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...