The Random WoW Thread

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Basically all you need to know is that MoP, WoD and Legion are all Thrall's fault. If he hadn't spoken to Garrosh in TBC, none of this would of happened. Green Jesus, indeed. Green fuckwomble, more like!

That'd make legion his passion of the christ.

1470812372149.jpg

Diablo's latest season distracted me, but I'll try logging in today to see the event stuff. Heard the events are great for lower levels as well, big lumps of exp.

Honestly got bored quicker then I thought I would (once 100) but a large steam library, love for retro console and a life in-between is the cause for that, I can't blame the game this time. I just can't devote to one game like I used to, on and off play would feel like wasted sub money to me. 

I think Blizzards style of endless games (which is all their games) is also something I'm getting put off by at this stage.

I enjoy Heroes but going up the ranks takes hundreds of games. Diablo's fun but becomes a gem and paragon grind rather then about finding a sweet new upgrade

Hearthstone's probably most maintainable without destroying time for other games.

Should I complain about endless if I'm having fun? I dunno, but appreciation for credits is in my head at the moment.

The events did provide loads of xp, so blizzard nerfed it. They tried to argue that the events had been increased (3 every 2 hours instead of 2 every 4), such that it was a net increase, except that it totally, utterly wasn't. When you factored in travel time (particularly for very low characters), it was a massive xp nerf. Many people complained, so they buffed it again, but I don't know whether that's to the pre-nerf levels or lower. 

In other, somewhat unexpected news, Preach rated Brewmaster Monk as his favourite tank (with the caveats that he hates tanking in legion and his ranking is based on his subjective "fun", as well as expected mythic + dungeon utility). The full tank rankings according to him are as follows:

Worst:

Paladin (awful)

Prof Warrior (powerful but boring)

Good:

Vengeance Demon Hunter (weak at high levels, look flashy, don't play well with others)

Guardian Druid (great utility, fun, versatile, great, meaningful talent choices, but can be a bit boring once mastered)

Best: 

Blood DK (strong, fun, versatile)

Brewmaster Monk (fun, great design, great talent choices, versatile, looks good, feels strong)

What's particularly interesting is his feedback on Brewmaster seems to go against everything everyone else is saying about it. Certainly at 100, as Moo and myself have said, it feels like it has lost its lustre, so I'll be following it closely, as MoP and WoD Brewmaster was the most fun and engaging tank by far. 

The xp is better now than it was, but it's basically rewarded on participation now: you get loads of xp for mob kills, particularly if you're the only person that tags the mob. Without rested experience you can easily get 12k per elite mob, plus the 20k-40k xp from stage completions. Unfortunately it's encouraged people to avoid the named bosses (which means you get fewer shards) and spread out to try and kill demons by yourself. It's counter-intuitive to the whole "band together to stop an invasion" theme. 

Interesting chat about tanks. I'm sticking with my Vengeance DH (because new) but I'm trying to work out what alt to go with just in case it doesn't work out. I wouldn't worry about how strong a tank is though, as if one is particularly weak I'm pretty confident that Blizzard will buff it. They already buffed Vengeance tanks yesterday via hotfix*. 

Druid has been my main since ICC (originally as Resto, now as Guardian) so that was going to be my second choice (especially with druid forms), but I can't help feeling that I should level a DK. The only class I don't have at 100. I mained a DK Tank back in early WOTLK, so I'm at least vaguely . familiar with them but I'm not convinced I want to go back to it.  

I did have a quick poke about on my Brewmaster but I don't really like how the animations feel so I doubt I'll play that. Prot Paladins felt a bit clunky to me and Warriors seem pretty cool - but as Preach said, maybe a little dull. 

• Demon Hunters can now gain reputation with Pearlfin Jinyu and Black Prince.
  • Throw Glaive now deals the same damage to players as it does to NPCs for all Demon Hunters.
  • Soul Cleave healing increased by 22%.
  • Fel Blood (Mastery) now increases the physical damage reduction granted by Demon Spikes by 12% (was 8%), further increased by Mastery (always 1.5x as much as before).
  • Soul Carver now has a 40 sec cooldown (was 60 sec).
  • Demon Hunters should be able to loot Pandaria world bosses.

Blood DK plays like shit now in my opinion. Bone Shield costs two runes and Death Strike costs runic power (that usually takes three globals to attain). You don't have a pocket death strike and you're super limited by runic power gain. You've also lost IBF! It's just bad. 

Warrior is interesting IF you take the ultimatum and vengeance talents. The rest of the warrior talents are garbage and have minimal impact on gameplay. 

Vengeance makes focused rage/ignore pain grant a 50% rage saving to the other skill in an alternating fashion. Ultimatum procs a free focused rage. Without these talents all you do is try to get to 60 rage for a max pain barrier and focused rage is just a bad heroic strike. 

With the two mentioned talents it's very different and the rage savings are huge if you do it correctly. i.e. Thirty rage for full barriers and ten rage for minimums. 

It's not easy to keep track of these buffs though! I had to write a small lua script to use with Adibuttonauras to track it. You can do the same for weakauras too I imagine.

As for the Demon Hunter I think it's terrible. So basic and boring to play. Meh.

Blood DK is bloody great imo. So much fun. The synergy between abilities and talents is really strong (eg red thirst meaning spending runic power reduces cool down on vampiric blood). I much prefer dk overall post-update, as I always found the rune and runic power system really clunky, so the changes to that has made it much more slick and flow better. You can have pocket death strikes and you shouldn't really just use it when it's available, but when you've taken large damage in the last 5 seconds. Makes it much more interesting than the old 'press it whenever it's up' method (though you can, technically, still do that, although you'll be rune and runic power starved pretty quick). Also not found runic power generation to be a problem at all. Icebound fortitude being gone is a bit crap, especially since both frost and unholy get it. 

Patch 7.1 - Return to Karazhan

Karazhan is coming back as a large five player dungeon with all nine bosses.

The old Karazhan will still exist, you can still go and farm it for things.

There will also be a small additional raid between The Emerald Nightmare and The Nighthold that wraps up the Stormheim story.

Patch 7.1 will also have outdoor content associated with Suramar that pushes forward the Nightfallen story.

Patch 7.1 is coming to the PTR right after Legion launches!

Encounters have been play tested internally, it is good to go.

14 hours ago, NEG said:

Diablo's latest season distracted me, but I'll try logging in today to see the event stuff. Heard the events are great for lower levels as well, big lumps of exp.

Honestly got bored quicker then I thought I would (once 100) but a large steam library, love for retro console and a life in-between is the cause for that, I can't blame the game this time. I just can't devote to one game like I used to, on and off play would feel like wasted sub money to me. 

I think Blizzards style of endless games (which is all their games) is also something I'm getting put off by at this stage.

I enjoy Heroes but going up the ranks takes hundreds of games. Diablo's fun but becomes a gem and paragon grind rather then about finding a sweet new upgrade

Hearthstone's probably most maintainable without destroying time for other games.

Should I complain about endless if I'm having fun? I dunno, but appreciation for credits is in my head at the moment.

KARAZHAN

FINE.

FINE BLIZZARD.

I'LL PLAY.

:: THROWS DESK ::

This made me chuckle/seethe with rage:

Game Development

There was a period where the team focused on faster expansions, sacrificing things that they shouldn't have. This made the experience worse.

The focus going forward is a steady stream of content.

Priority #1 is making sure that you don't run out of things to do.

The team is never going to rush an expansion, they will be released when they are done.

Ensuring there is always content in the live game while working on the expansions is important.

Raid tiers should last around 4 to 5 months.

This time around there won't be a content drought - "Don't worry, we got you!"

When did they rush out an expansion last?! 

I'm sure if I had the time and inclination I could find near enough the same quote about there not being a content drought this time for every expansion since Burning Crusade.

Indeed. The only way there won't be a content drought at the end of Legion is if the final raid lasts 4-5 months as they've said there and is immediately followed by the expansion, because otherwise people will finish it in weeks and go 'omg blizz, no content!'

Despite taking 18 months to come out, WoD was a rushed piece of crap.

29 minutes ago, Moostapha said:

This made me chuckle/seethe with rage:

When did they rush out an expansion last?! 

I'm sure if I had the time and inclination I could find near enough the same quote about there not being a content drought this time for every expansion since Burning Crusade.

TBC wasn't bad for drought was it? WotLK started it.

Yeah it's a really odd "we mucked up because we rushed exspansions out" and everyone's effectively gone "when?"

I assume they mean moved on to developing new expac (with entirely new system/classes) rather than continue to develop content on the quicker/easier existing expac and getting more out of their work.

Pretty sure every year since Wrath has had some variation of "we are going to make the gap between the final patch and the next expansion shorter".  I'll believe it when they do it, but this sounds more like rather than trying to decrease the time till the next expansion, they'll add more content at the end.  So maybe we'll have to wait a little longer this time for the next expansion, but I think at this point that's ok, as long as they keep good on the promise of stuff to do.  We'll see.

On the other hand, I'm shocked it took them this long, but glad we're finally seeing Kara re-used.  I barely went there when it was current, but it's always been one of my favourite places just in terms of the atmosphere there and the whole look/feel of the place.  Would be surprised if they didnt split it in 2 though, if they keep it at it's original length in one dungeon, that's massive. 

Really enjoyed the new questline last night as well, ironically doing it on the back of watching the Warcraft movie which I also enjoyed. 

Slowly levelling an alliance ret paladin without heirlooms for a change and it's been great fun so far, good to see how the melee animations are much improved as well. 

Sorry we couldn't organise a mythic last night. I kept missing your messages (I was on an alt that I haven't set up proper chat filters for, so I end up missing stuff). Are you looking to do one on alliance or horde? I can do either (and in any role, depending on need), so just let me know - I really want to grab some of those heirloom trinkets!!!

15 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Sorry we couldn't organise a mythic last night. I kept missing your messages (I was on an alt that I haven't set up proper chat filters for, so I end up missing stuff). Are you looking to do one on alliance or horde? I can do either (and in any role, depending on need), so just let me know - I really want to grab some of those heirloom trinkets!!!

No worries, I didn't see your message asking ally/horde until after I'd finished my mount run and logged out, would be horde though, don't have a max level alliance atm :)

Leveled my Shaman from 75-90 yesterday with some invasions / pvp. I quite enjoyed Enhancement, despite hearing nothing but bad things about it.

Played a Priest for the first time after boosting it to 100 too. Missed healing in BGs actually, not done it since WotLK probably.

Enhancement is a lot of fun. There are so many ways to play it with the talents. You can go for more passives, more buffs or more active abilities depending on your preferences. It also feels meaty as hell, with great animations and spell effects. 

I've been leveling a shadow priest. I'm not convinced so far, despite everyone saying how great they are. He's only 73, though, and leveled solely through invasions (did 1-73 over the weekend). Will see how I get on with him. I do already have a level 100 shadow priest but not played it for absolutely ages. 

Yeah, I had a lot of fun with it, especially when Tempest procced. You feel like a god if your Storm Strikes crit :D

I've not tried Shadow Priest yet, though it doesn't seem very strong in pvp from what I've seen playing as my Mage and Rogue.

All the Shaman specs play reasonably well. Enhance has a lot of flexibility in talents as Doctor Shark said. Hunter on the other hand has three specs that all play like ass! The new melee spec is so terrible I have no idea how it got past Alpha.