rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Phelan

Quantum Leap

Quantum Leap seems to have a good reputation in these parts.

Photo negatives have been discovered for a previously unknown ending to season 5. The extra scene show Al & Beth having a discussion about Sam in the future (1999).Some fans have linked this to an unapproved/possible fan script that describes Al using the QL accelerator to leap into the past and find his friend. I'm not sure there's sufficient evidence to support this, but it's possible this material ties into these plans.

https://qlnegatives.tumblr.com/tagged/deleted-ending

• Upvote 3

Let's not forget that Quantum Leap is responsible for our glorious president.

The 2005-06 comments are a blast from the past. Forums seemed to be full of people asking for show intros in the pre-YouTube days.

• Upvote 2

I discovered my old & very battered copy of The Making of Quantum Leap, which contains interviews with the showrunner and actors at various stages over a few years. It's interesting to see ideas being ruled out in the early days that formed the basis for the more memorable later episodes:

Questions raised during a panel session at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, March 17, 1990:

Q: Are there any plans to expand the time-frame window? To go any further back?" (p106 in the book)

"Bellisario: No. No. No. I did not want to go back beyond his own lifetime, because once you start to have him popping into the Civil War, and on a ship with Christopher Columbus, and all that kind of stuff, it loses - this is really gonna sound weird - it loses credibility! I could buy when he leaps into 1953, 'cause I was there. I can't buy back beyond that."

During the final episodes, the Leap Between States (s5e20) would send Sam back to 1862. 

"Q: Is there a line you draw as far as the extent he can change something, say prevent the Kennedy assassination?" (p110)

"Bellisario: Yeah, there is, there's very definite. The show does not deal with events that you know about that can be changed; for example, the Kennedy assassination. Nor will it ever deal with that... The only way you could do something like the Kennedy thing is to have him leap into a situation where he was able to know about the Kennedy assassination, was on Kennedy's staff or something, and was trying to tell them. "Don't go to Texas. Don't go to Texas." Finally he convinces them and so somebody says, "Okay we're not going to Houston, we're going to Dallas." But then he's responsible for it! And he's caused it!

Bakula: Think of the letters!

Bellisario: So we don't wanna do that.

Of course, Quantum Leap would also deal with the Kennedy assassination in season 5, taking a slightly different approach.

• Upvote 2

I used to love settling down to watch this on BBC2 back in the day, That final episode was a real choker, with a perfect use of 'Georgia on my mind'

• Upvote 2

On 13/02/2019 at 12:18, MpM said:

I used to love settling down to watch this on BBC2 back in the day, That final episode was a real choker, with a perfect use of 'Georgia on my mind'

Think the buggers ripped it out of the DVD edition. Back in all its glory for the BR.

I got the bluray boxed set like I said and I'm now on the final season, literally just watched the episode where Sam leaps into Jimmy for the second time. What's great is my daughter watching every episode with me, she loves the show and I tease her with a tear jerker of a final episode, even though I can't quite remember how it went.

• Upvote 1