rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Twyford

Top Gear

Yes, but did you notice how they rushed through his bit really fast? Again, it was a waste. Stick Mansell in a regular show so they can do a proper segment with him.

Like his "flying visit" was more a case of "who can we get in at the last minute to fill some dead space in the show"?

Yeah, suss! :)

Like his "flying visit" was more a case of "who can we get in at the last minute to fill some dead space in the show"?

Yeah, suss! :)

Actually, you could be on to something. The TV listings say that Alan Titchmarsh was supposed to be the Star in the Reasonably Priced Car. He probably cancelled because of their needless murdering of the grass at Gambon or something.

Didn't Clarkson just talk over Mansell at the end, like "Yeah yeah, hurry up the Bugatti is wasiting" sort of thing.

I do hate the restrictions they put on James and Richard in those challenges though. It's never a "proper" race as such.

"You can race me in a plane!"

"Really? Excellent!"

"Yeah, but you have to walk to the airport from here."

Obviously they have to let the car win, and can't race it against a Ferrari or something because that would just make a Ferrari look shit, and promote street racing or something. But I can't enjoy the thing properly because I'm a bit anal about it. That Cesna would have shat all over the Bugatti if he'd at least been able to fly it into London, let alone pissing about with all the checks and that.

Still.... the car was lush, and I wish they'd taken it round the track. Maybe they'll show that at the beginning of the next show.

Yes, but did you notice how they rushed through his bit really fast? Again, it was a waste. Stick Mansell in a regular show so they can do a proper segment with him.

Hardly. Mansell is the most boring man on Earth - the less of him talking, the better.

That's the thing that winds me up about Top Gear - it's so expertly edited that you never really know what happened in the challenge, they just edit it to make it exciting.

Neat car though!

I do hate the restrictions they put on James and Richard in those challenges though. It's never a "proper" race as such.

Yeah but if they started by the plane, without having to do checks, etc.. then they'd have won by aaages. They do all the workings out beforehand so they know it'll be a tight finish, making it a lot more fun to watch.

Yeah but if they started by the plane, without having to do checks, etc.. then they'd have won by aaages. They do all the workings out beforehand so they know it'll be a tight finish, making it a lot more fun to watch.

Well, yeah. But I'd just like to see a challenge where, at the end, I don't feel like it's been somewhat rigged to just let the car win. I want to say to myself at the end "Fuck me, that beat a plane? Christ!"

How they'd manage to do that, I don't know. I'd always feel somewhat cheated.

"The moon is alright.... the stick's a bit shit though."

So, we're watchign it and the GF says to me

"How come the police don't stop him for speeding?"

to which I reply

"cos they can't CATCH him"

So the question is, what's with the speeding, or apparent breaking of any restricting speed limits anyway?

So the question is, what's with the speeding, or apparent breaking of any restricting speed limits anyway?

Yeah, I'd like to know how they get away with this? And what about insurance for 'racing' it across Europe?

Also, for example, last week where he knew that there was a good chance his breaks would fail, how could he get away with carrying on? Lucky they failed on a rural road rather than outside a school or something I guess...

Great show though! James May is a classic character and I now feel, for the first time ever, that it would be possible to drop Clarkson and he wouldn't be missed.

(And no, I don't think they should! Just saying, like...)

Yeah, I'd like to know how they get away with this? And what about insurance for 'racing' it across Europe?

I'd imagine Bugatti have that covered. It might not even be insurance, could just be an account of ring-fenced money.

Also, for example, last week where he knew that there was a good chance his breaks would fail, how could he get away with carrying on? Lucky they failed on a rural road rather than outside a school or something I guess...

Great show though! James May is a classic character and I now feel, for the first time ever, that it would be possible to drop Clarkson and he wouldn't be missed.

(And no, I don't think they should! Just saying, like...)

You mean Captain 'Captain Slow'? Nah, he's a biker (and a pilot) first and foremost... D'you think the... annoyance he displays to the other two is genuine, or played up for laughs?

ps. bugatti must have KNOWN what they were going to do with the car, and it still happened? in the same way that peurgeot wouldn't let them have a 307 to try out after the "10 of the bottom 13 cars in our survey are french" bit?

I liked it when he compared the gearbox to one in an F1 car.

The company I work for supplied the electronic equipment to stress test the gearbox.

Here's a "figure" they didn't mention on the show..

At full throttle, the Bugati kicks 250KW of heat out of the exhausts.

The average hairdryer is 1KW.

The company I work for supplied the electronic equipment to stress test the gearbox. 

Here's a "figure" they didn't mention on the show..

At full throttle, the Bugati kicks 250KW of heat out of the exhausts.

The average hairdryer is 1KW.

ELEVEN RADIATORS!!! and the engine isn't even COVERED!!!

Maybe it's worth it for the publicity and the prestige. Sometimes companies spend money on something seemingly superflous for these reasons. And like Soong says, they may have learned stuff from this that can be used in future cars, saving them from spending that money in the future to find these things out.

I should imagine the 5 million figure includes the enourmous R&D costs, factored into every car they sell, given it is such a limited amount. The actual production costs is probably breaking even, if not giving a profit.

I.e. If you had a big crash, you would not need cover of £5 million

As Clarkson has often said, sometimes it is not about the money. It is about doing something because it pushes the boundaries of human achievement. Like the moon landings, Concorde, the Hovercraft, the bridge they went over in France the other week. All of these things were hideously expensive, and cheaper and less challenging solutions could be found. But no, in these examples, people went for the best it could possibly be, breaking new ground and bugger the cost.

As he said to Ellen Macarthur last week, if it were not for these people we would still be sitting in caves.

Something that seems to be lacking in Britain at the moment - It's all about the money. Look at all the hoohaw surrounding the new Wembley, and the amount it is costing.

VW's justification is that the whole Veyron project has cost less than a season in F1. They'll be remembered for the Veyron far better than failing against Renault et al, won't they? It's already a legend, both as a project (i.e. the fact it happened), and as the end result.

Just to expand on that a bit, actually. As an engineering feat it's absolutely immense. They've pumped loads of money making it arguably the finest car ever made, and definitely the best engineered car ever. When you're in F1 you're one amongst a crowd, trying to best others within pre-defined limits, stretching for a goal that's incredibly hard when you're up against more experienced manufacturers going for the same thing. With the Veyron they had no boundaries except for the imagination of Ferdinand Piech, and as a result I don't think we'll ever see anything quite like it. It's exquisite from top to tail, and it's head and shoulders above everything. It makes the Enzo look pointless, and Ferrari's engineers seem a bit rubbish.

The kind of publicity F1 would give VW is nothing compared to the Bugatti. It'll be on posters on kids' bedroom walls for years, and in half a century we'll all be remembering it (if we're alive, natch) as the car that topped 250, that happened in an era where diesels are becoming more and more popular, where people are plumping for economy, NCAP ratings and environmental friendliness. When cars are becoming smaller, more efficient (not that the Bugatti isn't, but in a different manner!), less... extravagant. More sensible. The Veyron is like the antithesis to the past 10 years, even though of late there's been a large surge in the amount of supercars on the market. Given the current climate (pun intended!) it's as barking as the boom of the early '90s when manufacturers released cars onto a market that burst. And they probably won't sell the amount they want to - but then again, neither did the F1. Who cares?

And all this from a company that's apparently boring? I for one love VW, and have done for many years... everything they do at the moment just seems right, from their model range proper through to Bentley and Bugatti.

Says who? I've seen no literature that's ever said the Bugatti is limited. It has a special ignition just for high-speed runs, and requires special tyres for doing so. Unless you're telling me they decided 253mph was a nice figure to limit?

There's no point putting a limit on the fastest car in the world. It doesn't have a speed limiter.

No he didn't, he was being sarcastic. The fastest the car has reached is 253mph, and consequently that is deemed its top speed. It is not electronically limited. Jeremy Clarkson is not always right about everything, you know. On a previous episode last series he said that the Mercedes S-Class was the first car to feature ABS - also wrong. It was the Jensen FF.

Says common sense? You don't get a car that powerful peaking at 253mph by itself.

Er, yes you do. Cars have top speeds, Soong. The McLaren F1 hit 240.1mph, that doesn't mean it was electronically limited. That was its top speed. A Ford Focus might top out at about 125mph. When you're travelling that quickly it takes something silly like 8bhp to increase one mile per hour, so it quickly runs out of steam even with an engine that produces something like 1050bhp. Add in other factors such as aerodynamics...

No he didn't, he was being sarcastic. The fastest the car has reached is 253mph, and consequently that is deemed its top speed. It is not electronically limited. Jeremy Clarkson is not always right about everything, you know. On a previous episode last series he said that the Mercedes S-Class was the first car to feature ABS - also wrong. It was the Jensen FF.

He did say the speed was capped, or maybe he meant the model he was using, since he would be using it on public roads. I don't know anything about cars and frankly do not care, was just anwering your "says who" with who said it.

He did say the speed was capped, or maybe he meant the model he was using, since he would be using it on public roads. I don't know anything about cars and frankly do not care, was just anwering your "says who" with who said it.

I did watch the show, you know. He's not quoting any source I know of. The speed would not be capped for public roads at 250mph! As I've said, the car has hit 253mph and that is deemed its top speed. The car does not have an electronic limiter on it.

This comes down to semantics, unfortunately. When talking about cars people are interpreting limited as electronically limited, which isn't the case here. He just meant limited in the more usual sense, as in maximum speed - 250mph being around the car's limit.