rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Twyford

Top Gear

So, and excuse me if I'm being thick, but how is a cyclist covering 4 km and a car covering 3km over a different course a race in any meaningful way?

It isn't. And that's not the point. It's fun television. The idea is that when you review a small city car you test out how nippy and how sharp the handling is. What better way than to do it in an exciting manner by chucking it down backstreets? The bike is just entertaining TV, and it's this kind of thing that makes it the most entertaining programme at the moment.

Kudos to them for the excellent Burns tribute too.

It isn't. And that's not the point. It's fun television. The idea is that when you review a small city car you test out how nippy and how sharp the handling is. What better way than to do it in an exciting manner by chucking it down backstreets? The bike is just entertaining TV, and it's this kind of thing that makes it the most entertaining programme at the moment.

Kudos to them for the excellent Burns tribute too.

TBH, I was hoping for a slightly longer Richard Burns tribute, but it was nice to see anyway.

TG has to be the only programme on TV at the no that I really look forward to everyweek. I just find the whole thing immensly (sp?) entertaining.

Makes all Ferraris and Porsches and the rest look decidedly dull doesn't it?

They might as well have been talking about Ford Fiestas in that 911 feature after that Bugatti.

So true. I really didn't give a fuck about the 2 Porsches. I was actually more interested in the fact that they put a Special Stage inside the Millennium Stadium.

Fuck. Me. Want.

Only 300 are being made. It does 0-200 km/h in 7.3 seconds.

Fuck.

There was one stat that impressed me most. Something like how you could let the McClaren F1 get to 180mph and then go, and still beat it to 240mph? I'm sure he said that, it sounds completely unbelievable though so I dunno if I mis-heard him or what.. but if that's true then CRIKEY.

Haha, yeah.. I'm annoyed he didn't have a good moan about outsourcing to India. Nice to know he basically said it was Norwich Union though.

Something around £840,000 yeah, definitely over £800k. Even though they each cost £5,000,000 to make.

There was one stat that impressed me most. Something like how you could let the McClaren F1 get to 180mph and then go, and still beat it to 240mph? I'm sure he said that, it sounds completely unbelievable though so I dunno if I mis-heard him or what.. but if that's true then CRIKEY.

headstart to 120mph and beat it to 200...

100ltr tank in 12 minutes a top speed,

that sort of thing....

Good show tonight, but all I can really remember is the Bugatti. Trying to get the car insured over the phone was funny.

Yeah, very funny. The guy on the phone didn't have a fucking clue. And after 25 minutes decided they don't insure that type of car, even though he didn't actually know what it was. "Is it a Rover," FFS! :) He obviously just had enough hassle trying to find it on his system or something.

Actually, it also made me go online to see if I could get a quote from some companies. I only found one off the top of my head with an online quote thingy (which is strange, because a couple of others did have that before), but that didn't have Bugatti in their form.

[EDIT]

I just had a look at Norwich Union UK site. They do have the Bugatti, but don't give an online quote for a car over £50000.

How come they didn't get Stig to do a lap in it?

I knew something was missing! When they had it in the studio, I was sure he would have done a lap. But I forgot about it again by the end of the show.

If they cost 5 million quid a time, and 300 a being made...thats a lot of wasted money no?

Yeah they apparently are just calling it a technical evaluation, or something like that. Lot of wasted money, yeah.. but I'm sure they've learnt a lot and have helped raise their name.

If they cost 5 million quid a time, and 300 a being made...thats a lot of wasted money no?

Maybe it's worth it for the publicity and the prestige. Sometimes companies spend money on something seemingly superflous for these reasons. And like Soong says, they may have learned stuff from this that can be used in future cars, saving them from spending that money in the future to find these things out.

Aye, its way more powerful than an F1, as that has less than 700bhp. If it can get from 0-60 in less than 3 seconds then fucking hell

I think they should have given the whole show over to the Bugatti. I get the feeling they could have. And as it is, the rest of the show just seemed wasted in comparison.

I think they should have given the whole show over to the Bugatti. I get the feeling they could have. And as it is, the rest of the show just seemed wasted in comparison.

I dunno, they had mansell in...

Aye, I couldn't have cared less about the other stuff. I like how they edited it at the end to make it look like Richard and James really had a chance of getting there first.

I dunno, they had mansell in...

Yes, but did you notice how they rushed through his bit really fast? Again, it was a waste. Stick Mansell in a regular show so they can do a proper segment with him.