Surely Sky will go in for Clarkson and the rest of them.

As for Top Gear, will be interesting to see what the BBC do, will they keep the same setup but with new hosts or totally reboot the format. He hasn't done owt since being fired from ITV so Adrian Chiles would be the perfect choice, he's full of the classic banter needed.

If anyone from the BBC is reading please disregard that comment and for the love of God do not hire Adrian Chiles

The Netflix link is real according to a report in The Telegraph a few days ago. Makes perfect sense. A show / format that is adored worldwide on a platform that has approximately 50 million subscribers.

The BBC had no choice really but you can't help feeling they'll end up with the raw end of the deal over the long term.

The Netflix link is real according to a report in The Telegraph a few days ago. Makes perfect sense. A show / format that is adored worldwide on a platform that has approximately 50 million subscribers.

The BBC had no choice really but you can't help feeling they'll end up with the raw end of the deal over the long term.

Assuming Hammond and May also go I think it would be a mistake to try to emulate exactly the current version of Top Gear, particularly if the guys start up their alternative elsewhere. The new presenters will need to put their stamp on a new format. When you factor in all the additional sales (DVDs, worldwide rights etc.) I do think Top Gear is going to be much less profitable for the BBC going forwards.

Whilst I do think that violence at work is difficult to avoid a finding of gross misconduct, I think they could have done so if they had wanted to. I'm no expert about the entertainment industry but I can't help but shake the feeling that if, say, one of the cast of Friends when that was on the air had acted in the same way that NBC would have found a different solution! But the BBC has put principle above profits which is commendable in many ways. But this move is going to have a big knock on affect on lots of other people's jobs as well. All the production and technical crew on Top Gear now face either being out of work or working on another series since it is unlikely any new Top Gear filming will be happening for a while. And whilst I'd say that physical violence is usually gross misconduct, I'm sure there are plenty of workplaces where two people have had a bit of a barney over something and a shove or a push has been exchanged but they are still able to shake hands and move on after the event. The error was probably reporting the incident to BBC Management in the first place since their hands, particularly after making the situation public, were largely tied. The press the BBC would have got for keeping Clarkson would have been pretty damaging. Talent hits producer, BBC gives talent a new multi million pound contract. The stories write themselves really.

Given the unused footage and that he's still in contract, What I thin we'll get is two shows that are the unused footage, both with no audience but Clarkson, Hammond and May providing links then the third show being similar to the web show they did before this series where they'll discuss their personal best bits over the years as a final goodbye.

"I hadn't posted my own mail for 11 years when I was sacked from the Mirror, so had absolutely no idea that self-adhesive stamps had come into existence until I tried to lick the back of one and it stuck to my tongue."

Actually incredible.

What's so incredible about it? For the last 12 years I've worked in offices that have post rooms. All my written correspondence is by email. On the rare occasion an envelope has been used its simply been popped in the out tray and off it goes, no need for me to stamp it. I didn't think about self adhesive stamps until now.

Self adhesive envelopes too - although the traditional lickable variety are still widely available for those wishing to encounter the added frisson of danger at the chance of bifurcating their tongue with a horrific paper-cut.

Wanting to catch up with some of the older episodes I've missed, are the versions on Netflix/Hulu changed? There are some jarring cuts, the music seems generic and bland compared to their usual choices and the episodes just feel 'off'. Am I imagining this?

I've not seen it on Netflix, but the ones on Dave are edited, so maybe they're the same ones Dave gets?

The music is changed due to licencing, usually. On Netflix, they'd need licences for each country rather than just the UK for BBC broadcast.