?uestlove's Sample Lesson Mix

This is probably old news but the first time I've heard it, ?uestlove's mix from the Gilles Peterson show back in September. Compiled purely of the original soul songs that have since been sampled by Hip Hop producers, it's pretty much essential listening.

?uestlove's Sample Lesson Mix MP3 (49.10)

QUEST LOVE SAMPLE LESSON MIX : :

11.) Arc Choir – “Jesus Walks” (Mapleshade) (Kanye West – “Jesus Walks” (Roc-A-Fella))

12.) Nu Birth – “You’re What I’m All About” (?) (Biggie Smalls– “Player Anthem (X- Ray))

13) The Whatnaughts – “I’ll Erase Away Your Pain” (Priority) (Kanye West – “Late (Roc-A-Fella))

14) Main Ingredient – “Let Me Prove My Love To You” (RCA) (Alicia Keys – “You Don’t Know My Name” (J Records))

15) Silvia Straplin – “You Can’t Turn Me Away” (Charly) (JHR Mafia– “Get Money” (X Ray))

16) The Temptations – “I Don’t Know What It Is, But It Sure Is Funky” (Motown) (Common – “The Corner” (Geffen))

17) Honey Cone – “Innocent Till Proven Guilty” (Fantasy) (Common – “Testify” (Geffen))

18 ) DJ Rogers – “Faithful To The End” (RCA) (Common – “Faithful” (Geffen))

19) Luchi DeJesus – “Round About Midnight” (?) (KRS ONE – “A Friend” (Jive))

20) Dynsaty – “Adventures In The World Of Music” (Solar/Sequal) (Camp-Lo – “Luchini” (Profile))

21) Willie Mitchell – “Grovin’” (Hi) (GZA – “Liquid Swords” (Geffen))

22) Wendy Renay – ‘After The Laughter Come Tears” (Stax/Altanta) (Wu Tang – “Tearz” (Loud))

23) The Charmels – “I’ll Never Grow Old” (Stax/Altanta) Wu Tang – ‘Cream’ (RCA)

24) Dione Warwick – “You’re Gonna Need Me” (Invictions) (Usher – “Throwback” (Arista))

25) Billy Cobham – “Heather” (Wounded Bird) (Soul of Mischief – “93 Till Infinity” (Jive))

26)Beherd Wright – “Halboglabotribin’” (BMG) (Snoop Dogg – “Gz + Hustler” (Death Row))

27) Jack Bruce – “Born 2 Be Blue” (Atco) (Smith N Wessen – “Buck Town” (?))

28 ) Aretha Franklin – “Call Me” (Rhino/Atlanta) (Slum Village – “Selfish” (Capitol))

29) Quincey Jones – “Summer In The City” (A&M) (Pharcyde – “Passin Me By” (Delicious Vinyl))

30) Joe Simons – “Before The Nite’s Over” (?) (Outkast – “So Fresh & So Clean” (Artista))

31) Bebble Brison – “Born 2 Love” (Unknown) (Nas – “2nd Childhood” (Sony)

32) The Chilites – “That’s How Long I Love You” (Unknown) (Jay Z – “Dec 4” (Roc-A-Fella))

33) Abdel Halim-Hefes – “Khasiaraya-Gar” (EMI Arabia) (Jay Z – “Big Pimpin’” (Roc-A-Fella))

34) Labi Siffre – “I Got The” (Mr Bongo) (Eminem – “My Name Is” (Aftermath) Jay Z – “The Streets Is Watching” (Roc-A-Fella))

35) Samuel Johnson – “My Music” (Coloumbia) (Jadakiss – “We’re Gonna Mane It” (Ruff Ryders/Interscope)

36) Milt Jackson – “Olinga” (CTI) (Tribe Called Quest – “Award Tour” (Jive))

37) War – “Magic Mountain” (Rhino) (De La Soul – “Puddles In My Lawn” (Tommy Boy))

38 ) Imaga Mall – “Sahele” (Unknown) (De La Soul – “Stakes Is High” (Tommy Boy))

39)Gap Mangione's "Diana In The Autumn Wind" (GRC) Slum Villiage – ‘Fall In Love’ (Capitol) Jaylib – “Official” (Stones Throw)

40) David Macmallum – “The Edge” (Capitol) (Dr Dre – “Next Episode” (Aftermath))

41) Creative Source – “I Can’t See Myself Without You” (Sussex/Polydor) (“I Got Some”) Freeway & Jay Z – ‘Even Though What We Do Is Wrong’ (Unknown)

42) Average White Band – “Love Your Life” (Rhino) (Tribe Called Quest – “Check The Rhyme” (Jive))

43) Funkadelic – “Let’s Take It To The People” (Westbound) (Tribe Called Quest – “ “ (Jive))

44) Ronny Foster – “Mystic” (Blue Note) (Tribe Called Quest – “Electric Relaxation” (Jive))

45) The Chi-Lites – “Are You My Woman?” (Brunswick/Eugene) (Beyonce – “Crazy In Love” (Columbia))

46) The Meters – “Oh Calcutta!” (Josie) (Amerie – “One Thing” (Sony))

47) Mcoy Tyner – “Impressions” (Milestone/OJC)

48 ) (Black Sheep – “Choice Is Yours” (Mercury))

49) Nirvana – “Indiana” (White) (The Roots – “” (Geffen)

cheers, downloading this now.

I've got a mix ?uestlove did at the WMC 2002 (or maybe 2003) floating around somewhere which is one of the best I've ever heard. If I can dig it out then I'll upload it and let you know.

Yes please!! :)

That mix made for good listening, nice one. Its actually pretty similar to the one I have from Miami, although the WMC one was recorded as part of a live set and therefore has a bit more of a party vibe. At the moment its on a tape 3000+ miles away from me so dunno when I'll be able to stick it on the net. Will let you know when I get a chance though!

• 11 months later...

I've got a mix ?uestlove did at the WMC 2002 (or maybe 2003) floating around somewhere which is one of the best I've ever heard. If I can dig it out then I'll upload it and let you know.

As I promised this time last year I've finally uploaded this mix from way back in 2002.

The download link is here. And I've blogged a bit about it here.

Can't find a full tracklist on the internet, and I can't be arsed to write one myself, but this is still one of my favourite live sets, and given that I heard it back at the tender age of 16 that is some high praise. Well worth a look.

Sorry about the sendspace link, but yousendit is annoying with its little sign up thing.