IGNORED

Music Discovery Sites

Wiseguy

Not sure whether to put this here or in ATF, I was looking for a music discovery site, similar to Pandora except that it was free and I think could be linked to iTunes.

I'm pretty sure I read it either in this month's GQ or Wired. Any ideas?

last.fm

It's linked to Itunes, WMP et. al. by recording every track you play and suggests things you might like/people who are into the same stuff. That was all it did when it was audioscrobbler but now there is a player (not sure if you can still use winamp etc.) which will play you music based around you and others. It is free but I've just recently subscribed cos I think it's such a great idea and I don't want to see it dissapear.

It seems good, but I like the way Pandora actually takes details like the melody of a song and gives advice based on that. I wonder if there are any free sites like that.

I didn't really like it and didn't think it necessarily got the feel for a band right like Wahwah* says. I stuck it on Muse and just got a string of dreary, slow, quiet singer-songwriter types. Whereas Listening to Muse on Last.fm's similar artist radio seems to give you a range of music from pretty heavy to light. Last.fm have obviously got more data to work on considering how long Audioscrobbler has been going.

• 2 weeks later...
Pandora's, fortunately, become rubbish for me before I have to subscribe. It's a shame that there isn't the option to say "I like the style but not this song / artist"

Hmm, except that it has...

Click "Guide us" as a song is playing, and you get the options:

I like this - play more like it!

I don't like this - it's not what the station should play.

Why is this playing?

I want to add different kinds of music to this station.

Pandora is cool.

You can;t use it for long before it asks you to subscribe. It's completely painless to though, except you'll need a U.S. Postal code. Shove "32177" in there and you're away. Enjoy.