IGNORED

X360 Estimated To Make A $1.5b Revenue In 90 Days.

Rayn

Which would be grand if people replaced their tv's every 5 years or so. Actually I have absolutely nothing but anecdotal evidence to suggest people don't change their tv's often enough for this to make a difference.

UNLESS the fact that the government has moved the analogue switchoff to 2012 shows a large number of people are unwilling or unable to change TV's purely for improved picture (even when subsidised). Heck, anybody who recently bought a digital (none-HD) tv won't be wanting to upgrade anytime soon either.

True, but you cant deny its a great opportunity to get HD into homes quickly, aided by the fact manufactuers all forcing HD on customers, accelerating the adoption of the tech.

Give it 2 more years then they'll have a decent sized base to exploit, unleash HD DVD players to go with their lovely HD TVs, use them to spread the word. The tech is such a step up from regular TV that it can sell itself. My theory anyway :P

1.jpg

We see a similar reaction near our HD demo stations

True, but you cant deny its a great opportunity to get HD into homes quickly, aided by the fact manufactuers all forcing HD on customers, accelerating the adoption of the tech.

Give it 2 more years then they'll have a decent sized base to exploit, unleash HD DVD players to go with their lovely HD TVs, use them to spread the word. The tech is such a step up from regular TV that it can sell itself. My theory anyway  :P

1.jpg

We see a similar reaction near our HD demo stations

I've seen HD in Dixons. Looks ace. I want it.

I get home put a DVD on my normal TV. Looks ace. Can't see anything wrong with it.

As Mr Pickford pointed out, revenue isn't the same as profits. Revenue is the money generated before costs are deducted.

Now I was always under the impression that consoles were sold as a loss leader for the games so wouldn't that statement suggest that Microsoft are about to lose a shit load of money?

The figure for that revenue of 1.5 billion is based on sales of hardware, software, peripherals and XBox live subscriptions as noted in the article. Basically as no one has any idea of what their loses are in relation to the console or how much they are likely to make per unit software you can't actually tell a lot from it. Apart from the fact the 1.5 billion in 90 days is a whole lot of revenue.

I've seen HD in Dixons.  Looks ace.  I want it.

I get home put a DVD on my normal TV.  Looks ace.  Can't see anything wrong with it.

Indeed. I said before, I think these next-gen DVDs are coming in way too quickly. Alright, you will be able to play standard DVDs on HD-DVD/Blu-ray players, but I think it's really only the overly-techy that want/need yet another format at this time.

When HD is cheap and ubiquitous, it'll be taken up, but that day is 5 years from now.

which will be about the time PS3 has achieved considerable market penetration yet will still only be about half way through it's lifespan. so it's futureproof if bluray/hd takes off.

what puzzles me is that in an article someone posted earlier, an interview with Bill Gates, it commented that MS is backing HD-DVD as their format of choice. so why isn't the 360 compatible ? seems like a bit of an oversight.

what puzzles me is that in an article someone posted earlier, an interview with Bill Gates, it commented that MS is backing HD-DVD as their format of choice. so why isn't the 360 compatible ? seems like a bit of an oversight.

I am certain that I've read something about Bill Gates saying that they chose not to include HD-DVD in the 360 because of the added cost and that Single/Dual layer DVDs offer more than enough storage space for any kind of game for years to come.

I am certain that I've read something about Bill Gates saying that they chose not to include HD-DVD in the 360 because of the added cost and that Single/Dual layer DVDs offer more than enough storage space for any kind of game for years to come.

so why in an interview discussing HD would he say they're backing HD-DVD ? i could understand it if the 360 could play HD-DVD movies because they'd want to sell what they believe are the benefits over blueray and thus PS3. mentioning it only highlights that the 360 can't play any kind of HD movies.

strange.

Didn't Bill also once say:

"640k ought to be enough for everybody?"

which will be about the time PS3 has achieved considerable market penetration yet will still only be about half way through it's lifespan. so it's futureproof if bluray/hd takes off.

http://www.jolt.co.uk/index.php?articleid=4828

DVDs, but no games, apparrently.

which suggests initial units will not support movie playback.

Indeed, you're right. Microsoft are stuck in the middle, hinting that later 360s will play HD-DVD discs, but not willing to commit to this, just in case Blu-ray wins the war, leaving Xbox with a dud format.

Likewise, they don't want to sign up to Blu-ray because it's a Sony format, and as I understand it, it is very copy protected and won't link up well with XP/Vista/Windows Media Centre.

So they're stuck doing nothing. It's daft.

I'm somewhat surprised that more people here aren't looking forward to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. Everyone's banging on about High Definition nowadays and how they are getting a HD television in time for the 360 launch, does it not make sense to want to watch movies in high definition too?

I think its the fact they are both months away, plus the stand alone players aint going to be cheap $1000 and they where quoted as not long ago.

Didn't Bill also once say:

"640k ought to be enough for everybody?"

And in that sense he was right (because of the technology at the time, no one would need more than that to use it, but as it progresses and people use different forms of visuals and all that, memory needs increase etc etc).

I personally have no interest... it's not the fact that the technology isn't good, it's the fact that I don't want, need or have to spend ~£800 on a HD TV, or a blu-rayHDDVDAIDS player.

My 4:3 regular TV and £20 Asda DVD player will play any-fucking-thing I burn on a disc (AVI/MP4/JPG/MP3/VCD, etc...). So remind me why I should invest ca. £2k on a new TV and HDDVD/Blu-Ray player?

But this is a gaming forum. My concern is that no-one in the real worl (:o) gives a shite about HD.

maybe not now, but they will in a few years when all new tellys are HD and broadcasts also. the drop in quality when they stick a standard dvd on will be more noticable. it's a bit of a joke considering MS itself is hailing the next gen as the "HD gen". the 360 isn't HDMI compliant either is it ?

maybe not now, but they will in a few years when all new tellys are HD and broadcasts also. the drop in quality when they stick a standard dvd on will be more noticable. it's a bit of a joke considering MS itself is hailing the next gen as the "HD gen". the 360 isn't HDMI compliant either is it ?

I've read Microsoft claims it is, but that people don't believe them. So I have no idea. :o

The difference between hdmi and component is nothing. Hdmi is good for one thing really copyright protection.

There is only a slight difference beacause of the whole digital to digital rather than digital to analogue to digital but like you say it's not as massive as standard definition to high definition.