IGNORED

Virtualboy

memories

Hi folks,

Just picked up a Japanese VirtualBoy and 8 games for my collection and now im after some advice about the machine.

Im getting the following 8 games with the system...

V Tetris

Puzzle Bomber

Red Alarm

Virtual Pro-Baseball

Vertical Force

Virtual Golf

Mario Tennis

Mario Clash

Any others i should be on the look out for ? I know very little about the games for the VB so any advice would be welcome.

From a search on here the main ones that would be worth adding is Warioland, which i found is available on ebay for about £20 or so, and space invaders which is way out my price range.

Another couple of questions as well.

1. It runs on batteries but how long do they last ?

2. There is a mains adaptor coming with it but what is the story with running it on UK mains ?

3. Is the VB region free ?

Cheers

Memories

If memory serves.... isn't there a pirate cartridge available, with all known released games on it, plus some unreleased titles and demos?

I'm sure I saw this mentioned in a mag, years back.

Might be worth trying to track that down. It'd be like those Vectrex multicarts, with everything on it.

I think there's some knock-off 'HK' versions of stuff floating around but still, Red Alarm is the only game worth playing on it :(

1. Comparable to a Gameboy but you wouldn't want to play it that long in one sitting...

2. A regular step-down will fix that

3. Yep, region free.

edit: Just re-read your first post. I'm not sure on the value of any of the games but I didn't think they reached the lofty heights of £20 :ph34r: I'm not sure I'd pay more than about £10 for any one particular game, 'cept Red Alarm.

Now that would be the business.

Where to start though ? in saying that i will be in Hong Kong next week so you never know.

I envy you.

If you're in HK, hell, you can find just about anything if you know where to look.

Head to "Sham Shui Po", get a taxi driver to take you there, then just explore, if you know what I mean. :ph34r:

The place is frikkin' HUGE though.

I'm not sure on the value of any of the games but I didn't think they reached the lofty heights of £20  :ph34r:  I'm not sure I'd pay more than about £10 for any one particular game, 'cept Red Alarm.

Virtual Lab, Gundam and the other REALLY rare games do well over £300...

Some things are crazy prices for the VB. On Ebay at the minute is a copy of Virtual Bowling sitting at £205 with a buy it now at £1390. SD Gundam with a buy it now at £690 and Virtual Lab with a Buy it now at £490.

All from the same seller as well.

Keeping in mind that these are ebay prices though.

I havent bought the VB for these rare titles or in the hope of finding some classic quality game that i didnt know about, its more of an oddity really. Ive never had the chance to use one before and ive only ever seen one in real life in my local Gamestation window going for a ridiculous £180 for an unboxed machine with no games.

Ive gotten it at a good price with a selection of games that arent bad and its a good addition to my collection.

My only downside its once i test it all out it getting put away until xmas along with a boxed snes and nes that i picked up cheap :ph34r:

It will also be interesting to see what Nintendos biggest failure is all about.

Cheers Szczep for the Hong Kong info, im there for 3 days before moving onto Singapore so hopfully i will have time to have a look at this area you mentioned.

Cheers

Memories

I only just had mine at work the other day. Used to have it set up on my desk at home as it is a very nice ornamental piece :o Took it into work for some folk to scoff at it, for this other fella to have a go at. It's great having people work past going, "wtf is that?!" My boss started screaming, "Jason has a robot on his desk!"

Sorry, I'm not being very helpful :D

The Virtual Boy is one of my favourite consoles ever - it's beautiful.

Red Alarm is the only game worth playing on it :o

Don't talk bollocks.

Red Alarm is good, but it's by no means the best game on the system. No, what you want is VB Warioland - the one Mario platformer nobody's played. It's utterly magnificent - well up there with the GB Wario games and Six Golden Coins.

Panic Bomber is a great game, but not greatly different to versions on other formats. Vertical Force is a must buy, too - plays just like Star Soldier, which is no bad thing. You also need Space Invaders Virtual Collection - the best version of Space Invaders ever. At £100, it's the most expensive game I've ever bought, but it's entirely brilliant.

The VeeBee has half a dozen superb games and a another half dozen that are pretty good fun - not bad considering there are only about twenty games on the machine (discounting the regional variants).

Serious? Christ... I didn't think any were particularly rare, to be honest!

I think the VeeBee has the highest Rare:Common ratio of any console ever. Certainly Virtual Lab, SD Gundam Dimension War, Virtual Fishing, Space Invaders are super rare; Insmouse, Space Squash and Virtual Bowling are considered very rare, and even the likes of Waterworld, Warioland and Jack Bros. are very hard to find at a sensible price.

Experience of playing but I don't care about all the other shite, obviously :o I had a full set of US games a while back, does that make it OK? I just assumed they were fairly easy to pick up 'cos of how quickly I got missing titles for next to nothing (off eBay too). Not so interested in the mediocre titles... what a cunt. You're not one of these collector for the sake of it collectors, are you? Maybe you should sit down and play something once in a while.

Maybe it was the influx of a certain importer coming across an unused warehouse a few of years ago. Dunno, don't care. I stand by Red Alarm as being the best the system has to offer.

Vertical Force has the same design team as the Star Soldier games, if memory serves. It certainly shares a number of traits in common with the SS series and has a similar "weight" to your craft. Not a bad game at all - certainly better than the recent SS on the GC and PSP. Remember also that the Japanese version is much harder than the American one, and much better.

Both are burdened with some of the most ear-splittingly horrible sound effects ever, though.

what a cunt.  You're not one of these collector for the sake of it collectors, are you?  Maybe you should sit down and play something once in a while.

Hahahahaha.

I don't think so. Quite the opposite in fact. Start reading here and follow the discussion onto the next page - it gets better once people start trying to put the boot in.

Since you're the one dismissing Wario Land as just another shit game, maybe it's YOU who should "sit down and play something once in a while". VB Wario Land isn't just the best game on the Virtual Boy, it's one of the best platform games ever, full stop.

Gamestation in Morecambe has a Virtual Boy and Wario for £80.

I was going to buy it, until I had a go on it.  Awful.

Headache inducing, mocochrome and a gimmick.

If you get a chance to sit down and play Wario, it's buy far the best game on the system. Looks the best too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
V Tetris

Puzzle Bomber

Red Alarm

Virtual Pro-Baseball

Vertical Force

Virtual Golf

Mario Tennis

Mario Clash

the best virtual boy game I've come across, which goes for a bit is Warioland, found that pretty impressive.good one MMS :P Mario Clash was awesome, really shows of the 3d layered effect to make a cool little game

• 14 years later...

For anyone who wants to try the VB without experiencing headaches etc get yourself an Oculus Quest and the VB emulator.

It runs amazingly well and is a much better experience with higher resolution graphics.

Mind, most of the games are absolute trash besides Wario Land and perhaps the Mario Tennis game.

4 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

For anyone who wants to try the VB without experiencing headaches etc get yourself an Oculus Quest and the VB emulator.

It runs amazingly well and is a much better experience with higher resolution graphics.

Mind, most of the games are absolute trash besides Wario Land and perhaps the Mario Tennis game.

I couldn't figure out how to zoom the lenses in on the Quest so the screens were tiny. Is there a setting to bring them closer?