Mother 3 Announced For Gba

Sarlaccfood

No you don't.

Well, so far, that's all i've encountered. Tap, tap, tap...at a steady rate with varying tempos. So you end up doing doubles or something? Oh dear.

I couldn't disagree with this more, I am 10 hours in and I don't feel anything has outstayed it's welcome. It feels like I have only been playing it for a couple of hours. I'm also finding my characters leveling up constantly and I'm not going out of my way to fight.

I dunno, are you saying you just walked through the castle from start to end? I've found that whilst no particular enemy is especially deadly (although those ghosts on horses...agh), they always seem to chip a damn sizeable chunk of HP off Duster, forcing me to return to the basement over and over. There appears to be one of two boss battles I can attend to, but at this point I don't even think about attempting those until my character can comfortably whack the strays.

How many hours in are you?

Yeah, the rhythms can get slightly more complex. Some of the bosses change their pattern a lot, so it's best to wait for the right moments in the song before attacking. I've also found some enemies start slow and the tempos gets faster and faster, which is great fun.

I didn't walk through the castle without any hiccups, but I didn't really find it too much of a challenge. I did nip back to the spring occasionally and some of the rooms have shortcuts which take you straight there. There is even one room where you can get infinite beef jerky so I maxed all my remaining slots up with those.

Also don't neglect Duster's special attacks, they come in very handy in the castle.

I'm now 12 hours in and just started Chapter 7.

I'm loving this thread purely because I can see it turning Number 28 from being "AUGH, THIS GAME BUGS ME" to being "I FUCKING LOVE MOTHER 3 IT IS THE BEST GAME EVER".

Awesome times!

Also, as regards to the song rhythms, some songs speed up and slow down and enemies can affect the songs with their moves as well... it's all very exciting!

Funny you should say that DNA, because I did have a much better time with it last night. The rhythm thing has finally clicked, and I often get a chain of 16, and I feel like I actually got somewhere. I do still think there's too much grinding going on mind...

those dusters that knock you down three floors? That's just cruel...but now i've been slaughtered by the water snake thing, i'm guessing you're meant to grind again.

Funny you should say that DNA, because I did have a much better time with it last night. The rhythm thing has finally clicked, and I often get a chain of 16, and I feel like I actually got somewhere. I do still think there's too much grinding going on mind...

those dusters that knock you down three floors? That's just cruel...but now i've been slaughtered by the water snake thing, i'm guessing you're meant to grind again.

Hmm, not necessarily, I've not had to grind until about 16 hours into the game so far, beyond a little bit at the start of the first three chapters. I guess it couldn't hurt.

I've not done any real grinding so far. Are you using the offense down/defense down moves? They really help.

With regards to those

brooms

though, I

foolishly ran straight into them thinking COME ON THEN.

:lol:

Hahahaha same here!

Haven't played this in a day due to new Castlevania being out (which is awesome, thank god) so will be looking forward to getting stuck back into this very soon. Have my game saved right at the start of Chapter 5 so it'll be a nice little starting point :(

I've tried all the thief thingies. Lowering defence/offense, etc. A lot of the time it doesn't work though. All I can say is, thank god for quicksave/quickload, as I really don't have the patience for slogging through games any more. I guess i'll just have to keep trying.*

Btw, the

dance

you've all been talking about seemed strangely familiar. Is that lifted from some anime or videogame, or is it just a case of deja vu?

*Shit, guys, I just remembered, I have actually gotten past this bit. Sadly

the princess

bit the bullet and missed out on the EXP. Momentary lapse of memory there, sorry. I'm on Chapter 3 now...

poor monkey!

. I hope I get to kick that guy's arse pretty soon.

I've not done any real grinding so far. Are you using the offense down/defense down moves? They really help.

With regards to those

brooms

though, I

foolishly ran straight into them thinking COME ON THEN.

me too. :lol: And then the next time I tried one of my people was feverish so I couldn't dodge!

Chapter 4 now... things have really started to open up.

The town growing to become more like the Earthbound we know and love

Good stuff...

but shouldn't Fassad have been burnt at the stake by now?

The frogs are pretty good...

ghost frog...butterfly frog...frog in a car...old geeza in wheelchair frog...

Well, I finished it today.

I have to say I had a really great time with it, I really wasn't expecting it to throw so many emotional punches and I think it was all the better for them.

I'm glad Pokey/Porky returned I loved that sinister little twist at the end of Earthbound. I can't believe Smash Bros. bloody well spoiled the final boss though!

I have no idea what the hell happened though - I take it the world was supposed to have ended or something after Earthbound and the Nowhere islands are what remains? I wish we could have found out exactly how the worlds were related. And what happened to Ness, Paula, Jeff and Poo.

I also have no clue what significance the egg had. Nor the dragon, since we don't really know what exactly happens next.

Oh well, it was a great ride - nice and short for a (very) linear RPG, I sincerely hope we haven't seen the last of the Mother series.

About half way through Chapter 7 for me and by god, absolutely loving every second of it.

To be honest, I have done quite a bit of grinding (all characters are around 50 right now) but I just love the battle system to pieces.

As regards to it being linear... I'm not so sure, there are a few places where special enemies pop up, there's some side quests that take quite a while to complete that I haven't yet gone through with... it does feel like a storybook RPG, so much charm in it. Especially

when you have to go to the Chimera Lab to pick up a helper to drain the pond, absolutely lol'd at the expression on the face of the giant air expelling purple thing

Not looking forward to finishing this :)

Level 50?! I'm around that point, and i'm about level 30...uh oh.

Still...the Magypsies. Um, trannies basically? :lol:

I noticed the return of

Mr Saturn... Well, so far just a few messages in bottles, and a table/horse/vehicle.

:) I didn't really explore what that was all about, and now I feel I probably shouldn't have passed it up...

As far as I'm aware that's actually a required part of the game?

Whenever you get onto the coffee table, head

towards the thunder tower, you should see a Mr Saturn on the floor and that'll help you where you're supposed to go

How are you feeling about the game now 28? Enjoying it much more?

The Magypsies are awesome hahaha wait until you see the

oxygen filling stations on the way to Tanetane Island

Yeah, i've always been enjoying it - it's hard not to. It has so many charming touches, and general craziness. There are still some game design niggles I feel should've been ironed out of existence during the 11 year wait, but I guess I can over look them just this once. It actually makes me laugh when short lines of self-aware dialogue are thrown in - "This is what you might call...err...a mid-level boss in RPG terms." They know it's all a bit old-hat, but they have to run with it. :)

People will probably scowl at me for suggesting this, but it'd be interesting to see them do something in 3D. Obviously the N64 footage looks fucking dreadful now, and is a bit of an insult to the unique and timeless style of the previous 2D games, but i'm pretty sure they could pull it off now.

Glad to hear I get to go back to the 'table' btw, cheers. Ooh, thanks for the music too Corleth. I was going to look for that...

Number 28, are you still playing this on an emulator?

I've got a feeling that making the transition from emulator to playing it on actual hardware is what will remove that little niggle.

It makes battles a lot more enjoyable and lot easier to handle, which I feel is probably one of the biggest niggles people have with this game, although it seems the people who have those niggles are the ones playing it on their PCs.

The bloody pigmask theme (the one that plays when the UFOs are about) is constantly stuck in my head at the minute and I wish to god it would just bugger off.

I'm playing it on my Xbox. I don't think it'd make much difference tbh...i've never owned, or gotten on with handhelds.

Agh, these tunes are all OGG format. Surely you have to be some sort of nerdy, elitist prick to upload an album as OGG instead of mp3. They probably have an irrational hatred of iTunes.