Mother 3 Announced For Gba

Sarlaccfood

The music in this game is astounding for a GBA game. The tune that it plays while you're in the forest while it's raining is just lovely. The combat system is ace (Getting a 16 chain combo is really satisfying) and it plays the batman theme when you fight a bat :D

This is the first Mother game I've ever played and it's utterly charming. Nintendo are idiots for not giving it a Western release.

What a pain in the arse that was! Managed to finally getting it working after digging through a ton of PSP forums. If you are running 4.01 firmware then you need a modified version of GPSP, then you have to install a specific GBA Rom as well as set some other gubbins. Almos an hour of messing about this better be a damn good game!

Very interesting!

Agree on the punnery, Blueflame (

vined

) was a spot of lowest form genius.

And yeah, the animation in that

campfire

scene I mentioned earlier is pretty impressive, considering it was made specifically for that one scene. It's got me quite excited about what might happen with the characters in other key scenes.

Ahh, just woke up to this. Brilliant. I say "just" but I've already put an hour in. I'm really loving the chaining system, my first 16 hitter was like "oooooooooohhhh yeaaaaaaaaaahhhh!"

Not going to be able to play it much today unfortunately, but I'm happy with taking this kind of game a bit slower to reallky let it soak in.

Ahh... I wish they hadn't linked to a walkthrough on the translation site though, now I'm worried about missing one-off items like Poo's sword in Earthbound... Must. resist. temptation.

Ahh, just woke up to this. Brilliant. I say "just" but I've already put an hour in. I'm really loving the chaining system, my first 16 hitter was like "oooooooooohhhh yeaaaaaaaaaahhhh!"

How the hell do you do this?? The most i've managed is a chain of TWO... i've just no idea when you're meant to be hitting the damn button, and i've not encountered a sparrow that explains it yet. It's frustrating, because I get the feeling the music might be out of whack on the emulator, and i'll never get the hang of it.

...and ARGH!! The same item management nightmare from Earthbound has reared its ugly head. Your inventory fills up in ten minutes...and then at the end of each (rather frequent) battle, you go through a set of YES/NO questions. If your inventory is full, why can't they give you the option to 'USE' there and then? It took Capcom about 5 incarnations of Resident Evil to figure that one out, I guess. :D

Other than that, so far, so charming, but it's making me want to just go and replay Earthbound at the moment... I feel too much like i'm being guided down corridors, and I miss exploring big towns. Early days though I guess...

First, a big thanks to the hacking community who did such a loving translation for free. They're awesome people.

OK, now the good bits: I named the family at the start after my own parents and myself and younger brother, and actually wept by the end of the first chapter. Really moving.

Now the bad bits: I don't like the game at all. Apart from some truly exquisite dialogue, and delightful graphics, it is mechanically terrible.

I knew the battle system was going to be a turgid reheating of the utterly shit Dragon Quest system used since the first Mother game, but Jesus H Christ on a snowspeeder, the rhythm-action stuff bolted is FUCKING TERRIBLE. I avoid all rhythm games because not one cell in my body is musically co-ordinated. It's why I don't do real-life dancing, I end up like some kind of string-bound harlequin having an epileptic fit. I tried tapping in time to the actual tune. No good. I tried tapping in time to the background beat, you know, 1-2-3, and so on. No good. So in the end I picked a specific enemy and played that same fight OVER AND OVER while varying my speed of button presses, and eventually I found the right kind of timing, but it in no way matched what I was hearing coming out of my DS with flashcart. How the hell you're supposed to marry the two up I don't know. This was the worst design decision possible, since unlike most RPG battles it doesn't rely on determined grinding (like the first two) to succeed, and it doesn't rely on a trainable skill (such as playing Virtua Fighter 5, say, where practice improves ability). No, the rhythm section is based purely on an innate genetic ability to marry sounds heard to movements made.

The inventory is like a thorn from Satan. It fills up far too quickly, most items seem useless in hindsight, and if your inventory is full and you get an item from a battle you have to answer two YES/NO questions to drop it, and you can't even choose to eat the item in question. The number of times I've thrown away and was not allowed to eat Nut Bread because my inventory was full of beef jerky is ridiculous. ALSO! Why the hell can't I put it into alphabetical order? That shit was fine on the NES because you know, it was the NES. And I could just about accept it on the SNES. FFS people, this is the year 2008, I expect better inventory management than this!

The first suffered from poor mechanics, but I loved it anyway. I had the time and mental energy to put up with it. I was in a year off and spending my days drinking cider in the countryside, so I had the free time to do it. The second I emulated and used frameskip to move past the annoying battles quickly, and the lengthy walks in the wilderness. It was wonderful, though I preferred the first. Sadly it seems all the crap from these first two, which should have been ditched during 13 years of development, has obstinately stayed on board. I'm an old man people, with a day job, a mortgage and kids, I no longer have the energy, patience or time to put up with this crap!

Maybe those wonderful hackers can reprogram the inventory menu system to be able to re-arrange it correctly, and use items at the end of battle, and maybe they tweak the rhythm-action to be easier and therefor actually fun.

Seriously guys, Mother 3 is a lie. It is an archaic dinosaur which should have become extinct two generations ago. I am in no way surprised Nintendo didn't want to localise this crap.

I'm a bit confused about this. I never heard about the Earthbound/Mother games so I don't really have a history considering this game. Then the whole internet goes on fire on a huge love-in for Mother 3, fans hack roms to translate it, etc. etc. etc. It's treated like the second coming.

Not wanting to miss out, I dug out my Micro and put this on my EZFlash IV yesterday night*. It runs, but it seems I can't save but I suppose when I invest enough time or dig out my M3 Lite Slot 2 card or something I will get this to work in the end. But should I bother? All I see is just another JRPG game with the same old cliche's (right down to the 'wake up sleepyhead'-opening) and some leftover graphics from Link to the Past. It's even on an archaic system that's been dead for years now.

What is it that makes this game so special compared to other JRPGs that should make me want to put the effort in to get it to run? Or is it just some Otaku thing I should steer clear from?

* Obviously with the honest intend of buying a Jap copy if I liked it etc.

Sadly, at this point in time, i'm in full agreement with Szczep, but i'll plough on regardless in case it picks up. Many years have passed, and you'd think they'd have learnt a few things.

I also find it a bit annoying how you can't see your character's stats whilst in the item menu. You go there mostly to use your healing items, but you can't see your character's HPs on the same screen, and have no idea what to use on who without coming back out of the menu.

I also used frameskip a lot during Earthbound. If I were younger, I might have the patience, but alas, no more. These days I think pretty much every JRPG out there would be improved by the ability to fast-forward, and that's a pretty sad thought. We shouldn't want to skip forward in time. Less empty space, developers, and less grind. Thanks.

What is it that makes this game so special compared to other JRPGs that should make me want to put the effort in to get it to run? Or is it just some Otaku thing I should steer clear from?

Well, what made Earthbound special at least, was the *almost* real world setting, and when random bonkers shit turns up, it seems delightfully quirky. There was ATMs, your dad would ring you, there's shopping malls. I guess Pokemon has a similar feel, but then, the original Pokemon is a cracker too, imo. It doesn't take itself too seriously, which is the main thing. No angsty teenage protagonist struggling to come to terms with his fate, and puberty.

Mother 3 seems to be leaning a little too far in the wanky fantasy setting direction for my liking, tbh. Just in the first 10 minutes i was thinking, hang on, they have huge dinosaurs as pets?

All I see is just another JRPG game with the same old cliche's (right down to the 'wake up sleepyhead'-opening) and some leftover graphics from Link to the Past. It's even on an archaic system that's been dead for years now.

o/\o

It's not really an otaku thing. Mother 1 was only available as a ROM in English. Quite a good NES RPG in the Dragon Quest vein. Earthbound was a SNES RPG released in 1995 in Japan and America only (Mother 2 in Japan). The yanks went batshit crazy over it. It's a good RPG with terrible mechanics.

The joy of the games comes not from playing them, but reading the really nice dialogue and clever puns and interesting situations. The guy behind the games is a writer by profession, so there's little tidbits of dialogue which are truly exquisite. It's all about these mini-situations. Coffee breaks, helping a band play a gig, talking to a policeman.

Mother 3 is the same stuff. Shit mechanics, great dialogue.

I'd say not bother. Go play Earthbound on the SNES if you want to catch up with all the hoohah.

If you want to know why the first two games were loved, I wrote a short article summarising them:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/v...3-Japans-Mother

Sadly they seem to have lost several paragraphs of text from page 1....?

Personally i'm not having any trouble with the game mechanics. It's just that i'm missing all of those lovely tidbits of dialogue. And for crap's sake! LET THAT FUCKING MECHA-DRAGO DIE WITH HIS LAST ATTACK.

The campfire scene was however very lovely.

Lucas and Claus shivering while Flint was going berserk

:) :) :)

Well I am playing mother2 for now until my ez flash is delivered.

I didn't expect so much grinding :)

It gets better, trust me. There's a brilliant system in place where enemies run away from you if scared by your level. Once they do this you can easily attack them from behind which greatly increases your chances of an automatic win - all of the experience for none of the work. I wish all RPGs had this option...

It gets better, trust me. There's a brilliant system in place where enemies run away from you if scared by your level. Once they do this you can easily attack them from behind which greatly increases your chances of an automatic win - all of the experience for none of the work. I wish all RPGs had this option...

Work is slow today so I have put in a fair few hours.

I'm past Frank now (after grinding to lv7) and find the game much better.

I must be just impatient and didn't level enough early on.