Mother 3 Announced For Gba

Sarlaccfood

I'm playing it on my Xbox. I don't think it'd make much difference tbh...i've never owned, or gotten on with handhelds.

Agh, these tunes are all OGG format. Surely you have to be some sort of nerdy, elitist prick to upload an album as OGG instead of mp3. They probably have an irrational hatred of iTunes.

I can see why what with iTunes being shit and all... also the fact that basically every major audio/video player on the internet available for download supports .ogg, except for WMP and iTunes.

Winamp ahoy!

Foobar ahoy!

Hmmmm... I find it quite strange that there's so much talk of grinding to be honest.

Honestly 28, you're playing this on an emulator which is really not the proper experience.

When you play it on actual hardware and you're knocking out 16-hit combos here and there, as well as using your psi's/thief skills/etc correctly, there really isn't that much grinding.

I did grind the absolute HELL out of the game before the very final boss though, but that's only because you need to have all the PSI abilities before you can get the new game+ mode.

Seriously, people might say "oh there's just a little bit of a timing difference with the rhythm element in battling using an emulator" but there is a HUGE difference because the timing is constantly fluctuating when it's emulated.

All I can say is that I spent little over 40 hours with this game, most of which was spent seeking out rare enemies and doing little side quests, and absolutely none of it felt like a grind at all. I'm not saying that this is ALWAYS the case, but quite a few people who are saying that the game isn't as good as it was hyped to be are running it on a PSP or using VGBA or an Xbox so there's quite a pattern.

Best GBA game ever, definately. One of the best RPGs ever, definately. I'd like to say that it's one of the best traditional RPGs ever, but unfortunately I can't, due to the excellent rhythm battle system.

Hmmmm... I find it quite strange that there's so much talk of grinding to be honest.

Honestly 28, you're playing this on an emulator which is really not the proper experience.

When you play it on actual hardware and you're knocking out 16-hit combos here and there, as well as using your psi's/thief skills/etc correctly, there really isn't that much grinding.

I did grind the absolute HELL out of the game before the very final boss though, but that's only because you need to have all the PSI abilities before you can get the new game+ mode.

Seriously, people might say "oh there's just a little bit of a timing difference with the rhythm element in battling using an emulator" but there is a HUGE difference because the timing is constantly fluctuating when it's emulated.

All I can say is that I spent little over 40 hours with this game, most of which was spent seeking out rare enemies and doing little side quests, and absolutely none of it felt like a grind at all. I'm not saying that this is ALWAYS the case, but quite a few people who are saying that the game isn't as good as it was hyped to be are running it on a PSP or using VGBA or an Xbox so there's quite a pattern.

Best GBA game ever, definately. One of the best RPGs ever, definately. I'd like to say that it's one of the best traditional RPGs ever, but unfortunately I can't, due to the excellent rhythm battle system.

Hmm, I played it on my DS and I really enjoyed this game, it's brilliant, no doubt, but I didn't enjoy it as much as Earthbound simply because it was a shorter, more streamlined experience. I missed the epicness of the previous game's quest. Also, probably part of it is that I played Earthbound first, whose quirky characters and dialogue made a big impression on me, and while I still enjoyed them in M3, I guess they just didn't seem as revelatory to me since I'd to some extent seen it before. I think Mother 3 is probably a more emotionally involving experience though, especially towards the end of the game and the

final showdown with Claus

. I loved it, but for some reason I automatically compare it with Earthbound, which is something of a futile exercise because they're both fantastic. I guess I should leave it at that!

Also, don't worry corleth, I have no idea what DNAbstract was doing, but I completed the game at around level 65 (more than enough to have earned all the PSi moves) within 22 hours. :) I did a little grinding because I came across a certain rare monster in chapter 7... and then exploited it just because I could. :)

• 3 weeks later...

So I was trying to backup my EZFlash SRAM of Mother 3 to a SAV file on my DSTT using GBAExpLoader 5.5 and it would not save - despite other games in the past working. So I was fooling around with the options, and somehow pulled all the SRAM into a BIN file and wiped the lot. Wiped the ROM and its Save.

I'd just finished the monkey chapter, meaning I've lost, what, 8 or 10 hours? :o

I'm so disappointed, since I was determined to finish Mother 3.

Does anyone have a save file up to the start of this chapter (4, isn't it?). The translation team said they were thinking of making an app that let you change the names, which would be handy, since if I can get a save up to that point, and use an app to change the names, although the levels would be different, it would be close to restoring my lost save.

Any ideas?

Oh, and be sure to either back your save up regularly, or check to make sure your flashcarts are working properly.

Hmmmm... this is the reason why I dumped my R4 and bought a decent flashcard along with a 3-in-1.

I suggest you get a CycloDS, or an AceKard RPG, then never have to live in fear of your DS/GBA saves going missing/breaking.

Anyhow, might as well be helpful, run it on VisualBoyAdvance with this code :

CA1D8DB3 689FDAFA

9CC263F2 68DE0537

1DCAC2C5 4FCA9184

Enable code. Start the game, whenever you're walking onto a new map/area make sure you're holding L. The debug room will come up.

Speak to Lucas, that'll pop you into the Chapter 4 menu, select the part of the chapter you want to start at, then just go for it. Your names that you put in at the start of the game will be saved, so you don't have to worry about that. Then it's just a matter of exporting the save and putting it back onto your DS.

Bit long-winded but it's better doing it this way, I'm pretty sure the debug room sets some sort of average standard for the levels you've gained and whatnot... would have to check it myself.

Actually, if you go into the debug room and speak to the blue Pigmask, he'll let you set the levels of all the characters, so you can just re-create your save from within the debug room.

xm2vt5.png

11log48.png

You are my new hero-for-day, DNAbstract. :)

Thanks!

Won't I have to load each area where you name characters though? Like Chapt 2 for the ninja girl, and chapt 3 for the monkey? Even so, this makes it much easier!

Anyway, the DSTT has been quite reliable, and I have got an EZFlash 3-in-1, I think it was just the GBA ExpLoader software that was the problem...

Or maybe it was because I'd had to format my DSTT a few times. I've formatted the micro SD to FAT (previously it was FAT32 but this made the menus slower for some reason - and I don't know what the difference is between the formatting systems).

Ooh, debug room. Does this mean I can take my EZFlash IV save, stick it into VBA, whack up the levels of all my characters and put it back onto the EZFlash and continue the game? Do I need to convert my save game?

Because some of the bosses in the game are fucking hard and I'd rather just continue playing the game without the hassle.

Ooh, debug room. Does this mean I can take my EZFlash IV save, stick it into VBA, whack up the levels of all my characters and put it back onto the EZFlash and continue the game? Do I need to convert my save game?

Because some of the bosses in the game are fucking hard and I'd rather just continue playing the game without the hassle.

Absolutely! No conversion is needed.

• 1 month later...

Finished this the other day, I really liked it a lot, maybe not quite as good as Earthbound, but I liked the slightly darker tone it had.

Although it was pretty clear that the masked kid was the brother, I thought the bit at the end was pretty well done, an unwinnable fight that I didn't want to win anyway. I think the best section was the mushroom-inspired hallucination bit, some of it was genuinely creepy and disturbing.

The twist was a bit out there, that whole thing about how everyone had wiped their own memories etc- I didn't quite get what it added to the story overall (which would have probably worked fine without it) but was a pretty spectacular bit of exposition anyway.

They did a great job with the translation too, been a long time since a game has made me laugh out loud.

• 3 months later...

I got a lovely surprise in the mail today: the fan-made Mother 3 handbook arrived in the post. Completely forgot I pre-ordered this since it was over 4 months ago.

It's a beautiful book. It puts most official strategy guides to shame. The keychain is great as well; it's going straight on my keychain. :)

I got a lovely surprise in the mail today: the fan-made Mother 3 handbook arrived in the post. Completely forgot I pre-ordered this since it was over 4 months ago.

It's a beautiful book. It puts most official strategy guides to shame. The keychain is great as well; it's going straight on my keychain. :)

I echo this post entirely. Except mine came a few days ago.

It's lovely :ph34r:

It's so ridiculous that in order to play this game, released a scant three years ago, you literally have but two choices:

1) Pirate it (easiest, cheapest)

2) Pay through the nose via ebay

Either way, zero dollars make their way to the creators or publishers of the game.

This industry is just utterly retarded sometimes, voluntarily depriving themselves of money.

It's so ridiculous that in order to play this game, released a scant three years ago, you literally have but two choices:

1) Pirate it (easiest, cheapest)

2) Pay through the nose via ebay

Either way, zero dollars make their way to the creators or publishers of the game.

This industry is just utterly retarded sometimes, voluntarily depriving themselves of money.

Yep couldn't agree more. I downloaded the fan edit and after an hour of play loved it and pessimistically went to the net to order it. They could even offer it for download or something, but that would admit to the existence of flash media and such. Amazing with all the anti-piracy talk from the industry they don't want my money.

• 4 weeks later...