rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Strafe

Gta - Liberty City Stories

Seeing as the trailer thread seems to be covered with battery life issues etc I thought I'd start a new one, like Soong did with Xbox HL2.

So, yeah, I picked up the game and have played it for about 40 minutes over lunch. It's cool so far.

It's GTA on a handheld, basically.

The music is wicked so far, classic GTA with DJs making jokes and some good stations. Lips seems my favourite so far. I haven't tried the custom station as I have no music on my Pro Duo.

Control is pretty easy too. The only thing I've had to get used to is holding down L then using the analogue stick to get driveby or reverse views when in vehicles. The streets aren't as crowded as San Andreas or Vice City but are by no means a ghost town. You certainly don't have to wait for cars to turn up to jack. Pedestrians make comments when you go past (and beat them to death), ambulances turn up to pick up dead bodies and the city behaves like it did in GTA3 (traffic lights, road signals etc).

Frame rate seems fine. Loading times are probably the quickest I've seen on PSP, next to Lumines. The main load screen (when you start the game) seems quicker than the PS2 versions. Saving your game is also pretty quick.

Weather effects - only seen rain so far but I'm told that there's snow.

I've only done the first 2 missions which are just 'ferry this person from point a to point b' so I can't really comment on mission structure. I just spent my time whizzing around on bikes.

I haven't got any guns yet so I can't comment on armed combat. Kicking people to death works just fine though.

There seems to be a bit of ghosting during the cut scenes (mainly with blacks, like the mafioso suits), but in game it's not really noticeable.

It's Liberty City but with a lot of different scenery.

I can't see this winning over any GTA haters but if you like GTA, like I do, I reckon you'll love this.

All in all I give it Very Impressive/10

.::: Most important thing: does it convey the 'I'm in a big city' feeling just as well as GTAIII has done and which is lacked severely in VC and SA?

I still prefer III for that reason alone and since VC and SA have been personal flops I'm hesitating to just jump in.

.::: Most important thing: does it convey the 'I'm in a big city' feeling just as well as GTAIII has done and which is lacked severely in VC and SA?

I still prefer III for that reason alone and since VC and SA have been personal flops I'm hesitating to just jump in.

I think SA easily makes up for that with the 'I'm in a big world' feeling.

I haven't tried the custom station as I have no music on my Pro Duo.

If what I've read is right then you won't be able to play mp3s through the custom station yet anyway. I've really got to stop reading stuff about it before I've got it. :lol:

Just out of interest where did you pick it up from? Are you in London or is that me just being wishful that I could get it after work.

If what I've read is right then you won't be able to play mp3s through the custom station yet anyway. I've really got to stop reading stuff about it before I've got it. :lol:

There's an option in the audio section of the pause/stats screen that says 'Custom tracks' and it says 'unavailable'. I'm assuming this is because I don't have any music on my Pro-Duo. I'll check it out when I get home but the option is there.

I picked up a copy yesterday myself, and I echo the comments (while remaining as unbiased as possible!). I think the blurring in cut scenes is because the GTA 'trails' make a (toned down) return (with no option to turn them off that I could find).

Still, first thing I did after the initial missions was to get up to 4 wanted stars, and race around town causing carnage till I got wasted. That's what GTA's about baby.

It's great to be back in liberty city, and if anything, the driving model feels more like it did for GTA3 than later versions (hard to describe but a plus in my book).

You can hear the compression on the voices in the cut scenes, but with 10 radio stations and umpteen hours of dialog, I think that's to be expected. Audio quality (script, humour, variety) is easily up there with the console versions so far, though I personally liked the San Andreas and Vice City settings more.

There's plenty of pedestrians around, and just taking it easy you see the usual GTA staples, where the AI does weird and wonderful things and all you can do is laugh.

In summary, it's GTA, somewhere between 3 and San Andreas in terms of ideas and execution, but the fact that it's so damn uncompromising in it's translation to a handheld format is just fantastic.

I'm looking forward to spending many, many hours on it, and properly getting into the story etc.

(I'm in the U.S. it hit shop shelves yesterday)

Yeah, cos the release date has moved to next Fri (4th Nov) so how come you got it already?

Just out of interest where did you pick it up from? Are you in London or is that me just being wishful that I could get it after work.

Got it from Game Focus on Goodge Street, London. If you're in town, give them a call and they'll probably stick one aside for you. If they have any left/unallocated.

Yeah, cos the release date has moved to next Fri (4th Nov) so how come you got it already?

I can't speak for New York Mikey but mine is a US copy.

I guess - it feels like Liberty City, allbeit slightly emptier on the traffic side.

I'm not sure what you mean though cos I thought downtown Vicecity and the urban office areas of San Andreas had a very big 'I'm in a big city' feeling.

Got it from Game Focus on Goodge Street, London.  If you're in town, give them a call and they'll probably stick one aside for you.  If they have any left/unallocated.

In town? I work round the corner in Cleveland St! Might have to pop down and get it... :lol:

I should mention it's £45 though.  I just really wanted it.

£45!?!? That's insane! Hmmm... I might wait till next week, especially as I have £50 worth of GAME vouchers to spend.

Having just sped around the city a bit more I can definately see this picking up a 'technical achievement' award in Edge or something.

It's pretty spectacular to see it running on a PSP.

It it's true that 25% of the power on PSP is locked to developers currently and you take this as a 1st generation game then you've really got to think about what we'll be seeing 2-3 years down the line.

It it's true that 25% of the power on PSP is locked to developers currently and you take this as a 1st generation game then you've really got to think about what we'll be seeing 2-3 years down the line.

GTA: San Andreas Stories?

All Rockstar did was reuse the GTA3 engine and do it up a bit, add a few extra bits, dif missions here and there etc. Already its going to sell shed loads, just think of the easy revenue! I have no doubt they will do a VC Stories and SA Stories to follow. Would be silly not to.

All Rockstar did was reuse the GTA3 engine and do it up a bit, add a few extra bits, dif missions here and there etc. Already its going to sell shed loads, just think of the easy revenue! I have no doubt they will do a VC Stories and SA Stories to follow. Would be silly not to.

I'm pretty sure it's a whole new engine as it's not on renderware anymore.

Started playing it last night but haven't done much. Finding it hard to be confident when driving about - seem to crash too much.

hmm dont recognise much of that stuff.

Neither did I but I like a lot of it - Lips FM and Head especially for cheery poppy stuff. The DJs (Lips especially) are very funny and so are the adverts between stations.

I haven't had any crashing issues except for a point when I tried to park my car my the car crusher and then ended up on the overhead railway track. Odd.

Hand to hand combat is a bit hit and miss at the moment and targetting with weapons can be a bit squiffy too. The missions are good too and the humour is all still there.

The manual is hilarious too.

Spin Spin Sugar by the Sneaker Pimps and Higher Stater of Consious by Josh Wink put a big smile on my face as I was driving round this morning.

Thinking about it, and this might be better for ATF but does anyone know what the piece of music is when you complete a mission? Is it a full song or just something Rockstar made up?

Spin Spin Sugar by the Sneaker Pimps and Higher Stater of Consious by Josh Wink put a big smile on my face as I was driving round this morning.

Thinking about it, and this might be better for ATF but does anyone know what the piece of music is when you complete a mission? Is it a full song or just something Rockstar made up?

It's in the manual and it's also the intro music. Can't remember the song but it's by Dangermouse (The DJ, not the crime fighting rodent).