Sony And Those Pesky Updates.

Fleagle

So, I've been reading across the net tonight that you will almost certainly have to upgrade properly to 2.0 to play the new GTA game.

As far as I can tell wab changers and the like aren't going to work and there's nothing at the moment anyone can do.

I'm just wondering how many people out there will have the same attitude as me and will simply refuse to buy the game and any future releases that require this.

Sony keep putting updates out there as (I assume) they're worried that people won't buy the new games and will stick to the old stuff, firmware and emulation. Ironically, this could actually lead to people like me, who would have happily paid for new games, refusing to buy them thereby ending up in the exact situation Sony was trying to avoid.

Thoughts?

So, I've been reading across the net tonight that you will almost certainly have to upgrade properly to 2.0 to play the new GTA game.

As far as I can tell wab changers and the like aren't going to work and there's nothing at the moment anyone can do.

I'm just wondering how many people out there will have the same attitude as me and will simply refuse to buy the game and any future releases that require this.

Sony keep putting updates out there as (I assume) they're worried that people won't buy the new games and will stick to the old stuff, firmware and emulation. Ironically, this could actually lead to people like me, who would have happily paid for new games, refusing to buy them thereby ending up in the exact situation Sony was trying to avoid.

Thoughts?

I would have thought piracy would be more of an issue?

No doubt there will be rightous indignation, but it really is about the piracy. I doubt they care much about the emulation issue. Just like most of the world. Emulation isn't as big a thing as some people would like to believe.

I think I'll probably buy it next week, upgrade to 2.0 (with a downloaded copy of the firmware, apparently the one on the umd is 'different', in a bad way) and then downgrade back to 1.5 when I'm done playing it (in 2.5 hours, ahahahah :D ). I can probably go without emus and pirated games for however long I play GTA.

Personally I'm more worried about Mario Kart DS bricking my homebrew flashed DS :D

From the PSPHacks forum:

"just so that everyone knows, ive successfully downgraded my psp to 1.5 after using the 2.0 update on the gta disc

SO CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF, THE UPDATE ON THE DISC IS 2.0 NOT 2.01

so stop freakin and lookin for the 2.0 eboot already, USE the one on the disc"

I suppose this is about the US release.

Do you really think anyone except the hardcore care about a version update? The average punter will just buy GTA, install the update and be done with it. I don't think Sony are going to be worried somehow. Besides, they know as much as anyone else that eventually any upgrade is going to be cracked by the mod/hacking community.

Do you really think anyone except the hardcore care about a version update? The average punter will just buy GTA, install the update and be done with it. I don't think Sony are going to be worried somehow. Besides, they know as much as anyone else that eventually any upgrade is going to be cracked by the mod/hacking community.

Exactly. For all the people using emulation and isos, they will always be the minority.

There's already an eBoot loader for v2.0, and it's already compatable with a great deal of the homebrew stuff that's already out there. So downgrading's no longer going to be required.

I'm keeping a eye on this. I have seen the list expand, but i'm still on the edge. If only fastloader/umd emulator was working :D

aha - the link to the pspupdates forum list of working homebrew for the v2 loader:

here

There's already an eBoot loader for v2.0, and it's already compatable with a great deal of the homebrew stuff that's already out there. So downgrading's no longer going to be required.

Sorry to be a little stupid but please explain what a eBoot loader is?

I recently bought my PSP and downgraded to 1.5 to play homebrew stuff. I thought it was not yet possible to play homebrew on a 2.0 machine!

Does this mean I can play GTA and homebrew on a 2.0 machine?! :D

Again, sorry if this is simple stuff! :(

Thoughts?

...aren't you the guy who said that you don't pay for games anymore anyway in the Quake 4 thread? In which case I think this is more of an "I'm pissed off I can't pirate it yet" thread.

Anyway, on the piracy tangent, I think the fact that it's too big to fit on a 1gig memory stick is actually the main deterrent for yarring, the firmware is bound to be cracked eventually (it always is, right?).

...aren't you the guy who said that you don't pay for games anymore anyway in the Quake 4 thread?  In which case I think this is more of an "I'm pissed off I can't pirate it yet" thread.

Anyway, on the piracy tangent, I think the fact that it's too big to fit on a 1gig memory stick is actually the main deterrent for yarring, the firmware is bound to be cracked eventually (it always is, right?).

Nope, I'm the guy that says he doesn't buy pc games anymore and made it very clear that I never and have no intention of ever pirating modern console games.

My whole point is that I've bought quite a few psp games since it's release and would no doubt buy a lot more but not if Sony make it that I have to stop using homebrew and emulators. I've got no intention of grabbing ISO's for psp games and never have.

Sony have lost my PSP purchase by trying to stifle the emulation aspect of the PSP. Let's face it, you'd have to be a grade A chump to buy one just for the PSP games released so far...

Why? How long has it been out in Europe? 2 or 3 months?

In that time I've played Burnout, RR, Wipeout, Everybody's Golf and Toca and I reckon they're all damn fine games.

How many quality titles would you expect in a few months?

Why? How long has it been out in Europe? 2 or 3 months?

In that time I've played Burnout, RR, Wipeout, Everybody's Golf and Toca and I reckon they're all damn fine games.

How many quality titles would you expect in a few months?

Four damn fine racing games. Oh, not great if you're not a big fan of racing games.

Myself I can't wait for Pursuit Force or Exit, games that at least try to do something or look different.

Four damn fine racing games. Oh, not great if you're not a big fan of racing games.

Myself I can't wait for Pursuit Force or Exit, games that at least try to do something or look different.

Fair enough mate.

I guess the fact that racing games are my favourite type along with my seemingly solo attitude that all I really wanted from the psp was a portable playstation clouds my judgement a bit.

Seriously though, I do wish people would at least give it a bit of time. I'm sure some quirky, weird and totally original stuff will be available soon if that's what you so desire.

Anyway, I've gone OT again...

Well, whatever, the end result is sitfling the emulation scene and that's enough.

What is the real reason? Some kind of anti-piracy measure?

Yeah, people stealing the ISO's and running illegal games from their memory sticks and such like.

Wish there was some way to keep the homebrew going but to lock out that sort of thing so Sony could just leave us alone.

What people are forgetting is that firmware upgrades are there to add new/improved features, new applications and also to introduce new development tools. Not every firmware update is going to be dedicated to stamping out unauthorised applications.

If GTA:LCS was written using these new features and coding algorithims, then the Sony's war on piracy/emulation is irrelevant.

When will people realise that not everything these license holders do is aimed at a minority of users?

But surely they can't keep forcing firmware updates on you with every major release. As someone mentioned on another forum, for a portable console I do not want to have to wait until I get home and can charge the console enough to do the firmware upgrade before I can even play the new game.

The only reason why Sony would want to stop emulation on the PSP is purely for living in fear of getting their arses sued to high heaven from frustrated developers and companies. It's the only logical reason for stopping something that is, in effect, one of the huge selling points of the PSP.

Playing Devil's Advocate here, I can sympathise with Sony to a certain extent. But I'd imagine that if people give it a year or so, the firmware stuff will slow down to a trickle, and emulation will be a normal occurance. I just think Sony feel the need to be presented in a combative light on the subject - rightly or wrongly...

(wrongly, but there we go)

Just to add to that it's curious how the 2.0 exploit allows a lot of the worthwhile homebrew to work yet none of the piracy stuff... Although I find the fastloader is the only way to play ... especially vtennis which is shocking of UMD (Yes I own Vtennis no piracy to see here).

The ballance would be to allow xbox style disk caching of the MEMStick if it has enough space, this would speed up the loading of all games and then allow homebrew through a similar exploit to the one on 2.0. Or even legitimately allow homebrew and allow for Live arcade style games to be developed and paid for...

Cheers

Quexex