The Revoloution Cometh

mr_rmg

Imagine the amount of replacement controllers that would be sold as a result of people accidentally chucking them at the TV.

And replacement TVs. :D

looking forward to a special FPS version of the Rev controller, that has all the motion sensing functionality, but that looks like this:

http://www.katana-tv.it/images/asg/M60_laky/M60_laky.jpg

Fuck yeah!

I think the Revolution will definiely entice people who don't play games to play games.

So, Nintendo are winnar, right?

Not necessarily. You see, the problem is not whether these people will play games, but whether they will actually BUY a console to play games on, rather than simply playing on their videogaming friend's Revolution from time to time.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the 64 gazillion dollar question. For while loads of non-gaming people love the DS when they play on one, firstly it's the hardcore who seem to be getting the most out of it, and secondly I'm not seeing loads of people who never play games actually buying one.

As for the comments about the Xbox 360, yes spanglier graphics don't automatically equal better games, but the massive technical enhancements next-gen give more opportunity for new gameplay experiences automatically. Whether devs deliver on this, though, is open to question. The same could be said about Teh Rev, of course.

yes spanglier graphics don't automatically equal better games, but the massive technical enhancements next-gen give more opportunity for new gameplay experiences.

Not entirely sure about new. Potentially better/more immersive, yes. Which I suppose could qualify as new, in a way, if not unique.

The main criticism around the PS2-launch was that it was just PS1 games with better graphics. The main criticism around the Xbox-launch was that it was just PS2 games with better graphics.

Still, now that we look back on this gen many games wouldn't have been what they turned out to be if it wasn't for the more powerful technology.

GTA3 for example. Halo. Resident Evil 4. Just to name a few games that wouldn't have worked on the last generation. They offer more than shiny graphics, like huge gameworlds, numerous enemies, smart(ish) AI, streaming content.

I'm sure the next generation will make the same shift, whether it's in control (Revolution) or content (360/PS3). It'll just take some time.

The main criticism around the PS2-launch was that it was just PS1 games with better graphics. The main criticism around the Xbox-launch was that it was just PS2 games with better graphics.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I picked up PGR, Halo, and JSRF on launch. Hardly PS2 games. The rest of your post is right though.

will the rev be able to do star wars games where you're in the third person behind the jero and you move him round with the analogue stick, maybe holding one of the buttons to look and then you use the wand as a light saber?

and you get to deflect shots and stuff? That'd be fucking amazing!

The rev is easily the most exciting of the three new prospects. The controller's genius IMO.

will the rev be able to do star wars games where you're in the third person behind the jero and you move him round with the analogue stick, maybe holding one of the buttons to look and then you use the wand as a light saber?

and you get to deflect shots and stuff? That'd be fucking amazing!

That's, like, 1st person control with a 3rd person viewpoint. Sounds a bit squiffy to me.

...and a worldwide simultaneous release. Good old Spong.

(Incidentally, I've heard rumblings from a more reliable source than Spong* that they're planning to launch the Rev hardware at a very low price.)

I can imagine it: if Nintendo are fairly in-your-face about the downloadable games* then they can practically give them away... a bit like how inkjet printers are massively subsidised so that they can sell you expensive refill cartridges.

I'm not predicting this is how Nintendo will structure the pricing - I don't know either way - but it's certainly possible.

*e.g. leaflets in the box, enticements to buy games at boot-up, etc.

For what, this made up Jedi game? Surely the stick will be for moving around and the remote will be for moving the lightsabre. No camera control.

Yeah, you could have a hold look and so long as the level design and camera is good you shouldn't really need it.

And really it'd be an FPS but the third person viewpoint would just make lightsaber fighting easier, imagine making up your own moves! The harder you swing the more damage you do! Jesus I'm excited!

The question is...how will they advertise this thing to people who don't, or rarely, play games?

I think they're on the right track with the Rev promo - that is concentrating on the fun you can have with the controller and not on the game footage. Nintendo is still a mainstream label, and as long as nintendo branding is conspicous, and accompanied with a few classic 'ping' computer noises, they'll be no trouble associating the controller with videogames.

Showing any traditional footage will instantly render it 'the same old stuff' to non-videogame players.

I think an excellent TV ad run would consist of various well-known cliche scenarios that are played totally straight, except the protagonist is using the controller in place of the assumed tool. These would be very quick (very odd to the majority) with the only explanation the nintendo branding pinging on ths screen at the end.

The temptation would be to have say, a James Bond-esque action scene where the 'spy' is actually using the remote as both a walky-talky and a gun. However this type of scenario would be preaching to the converted.

A better one might be more akin to those Dove adverts where women are mock-intervewed about the products virtues. While talking about 'how they can't imagine living with out the remote' and 'are so happy with the results' they could be using it to pull a straying toddler, or push a buggy, or chop vegetables for cooking.

A male version could be DIY themed with the man talking about this great varinsih (while applying it magically with the remote) or power tool (while sawing wood in half with a remote).

Do you see how intrigue might sky-rocket in previosuly unreached markets?

I think the Revolution will definiely entice people who don't play games to play games.

NO, it wont.

People who don't play games now, don't do so because of the control interface.

Its because they are not interested.

People come home from work or whatever and want to be entertained by a non interactive medium so that they can sit there and have entertainment pushe donto them.

They do not want to have to work for it.

Changing the way we interact has little or no baring in enticing people into our world.

Games , for a start would have to start competing with time for things such as Eastenders (7ish million viewers an episode?) or going out drinking.

It aint going to happen.

If the revolution has games that involve sawing stuff with a controller, shovelling snow or moving a cat's eyes around then I think that it will attract new players who haven't bothered with games before.

Meanwhile, all the existing fans will have fucked off to PS3 and XBox360 because they'll offer a game that's fun for more than 5 minutes.

NO, it wont.

People come home from work or whatever and want to be entertained by a non interactive medium so that they can sit there and have entertainment pushe donto them.

They do not want to have to work for it.

Changing the way we interact has little or no baring in enticing people into our world.

Games , for a start would have to start competing with time for things such as Eastenders (7ish million viewers an episode?) or going out drinking.

It aint going to happen.

So you're saying people who watch TV and go out for drinks don't ever play games?

Super.

If the revolution has games that involve sawing stuff with a controller, shovelling snow or moving a cat's eyes around then I think that it will attract new players who haven't bothered with games before.

Meanwhile, all the existing fans will have fucked off to PS3 and XBox360 because they'll offer a game that's fun for more than 5 minutes.

This why every game on the rev should let you use the wand like a sword!

You can totally go star wars kid in your living room!

I think they're on the right track with the Rev promo - that is concentrating on the fun you can have with the controller and not on the game footage.

[snip]

I think an excellent TV ad run would consist of various well-known cliche scenarios that are played totally straight, except the protagonist is using the controller in place of the assumed tool. These would be very quick (very odd to the majority) with the only explanation the nintendo branding pinging on ths screen at the end.

[snip]

A better one might be more akin to those Dove adverts where women are mock-intervewed about the products virtues. While talking about 'how they can't imagine living with out the remote' and 'are so happy with the results' they could be using it to pull a straying toddler, or push a buggy, or chop vegetables for cooking.

A male version could be DIY themed with the man talking about this great varinsih (while applying it magically with the remote) or power tool (while sawing wood in half with a remote).

[snip]

All excellent ideas* - and I predict that Nintendo, at least in the UK, won't use any of them. :D

*although, I'd be the first to admit that I know next to zero about marketing.

NO, it wont.

Absolute rubbish - do you really think that everybody that played with eyetoy was already a games player? Do you really think that everyone who will play Buzz over xmas will be an existing games player? Do you think that everyone who has picked up a DS and stroked a dog in Nintendogs was already an avid gamer? I can tell you they weren't. Fact.

You can't seriously suggest that if somebody doesn't play games now, they never ever will? Sure the majority don't play games for a trillion other reasons, but a subset of those non-gamers are put off by existing control schemes. It's possible that the Rev could entice them in.

"Touching is good, but feeling is better."

I remember reading this somewhere.

that's right... wasn't it Reggie that hinted at this?

I'm still expecting some more to be revealed about the Rev. That's what happened with the DS, it wasn't until we got to play that games at E3 that we realised it had a touch screen... and that turned out to be the ace up its sleeve.

Nintendo will be keeping something, jim merrick has said this as well, secret to be revealed when we finally get our hands on it. Maybe it's some kind of force feedback on the stick that makes it difficult to move in certain situations... no idea...

but I can't wait.

He's not saying that. He's saying the controller of choice isn't the barrier - it's apathy, and a new controller isn't going to overcome that.

It can... if the games look like fun using this new controller.

Wario Ware is going to be the killer app for this stuff... the designers of this must be really going to town right now as we speak.

... I strongly suspect we'll see a shoveling mini-game in there.

It can... if the games look like fun using this new controller. 

Wario Ware is going to be the killer app for this stuff...  the designers of this must be really going to town right now as we speak.

... I strongly suspect we'll see a shoveling mini-game in there.

You see, again.. the apathetic out there don't know who Wario is, and working from Nintendo's previous marketing efforts, will never see the Revolution controller in the first place.

If they're really going to assualt the mainstream, I'm worried. They should stick to what they know best. Making games for an already captive audience.

if the revolution really is gonna launch in june, then it will be interesting to see what sony does with the ps3 launch!

but it does seem a little rushed to me... the no show of games footage is either a clever hush hush tactic or the fact that they have nothing decent to show :)

They are.

Well, in a sense they are, yes. Creativity - there's no doubt this controller beams of it. But people around here seem to be expecting the masses to be drawn to the machine because of its controller, and that's just not going to happen.

My point is, if Nintendo were to try selling this as a USP to the mainstream, it won't work.