Quake 4 Dowloaded Almost 1 000 000 Times

stiff_swede

It's funny that you hear the same arguments wheeled out by benefits scroungers.  Only the other day I was speaking to someone over a beer who basically said: 

"It's OK that I screw the government for money [& don't work for it at all] - they have loads of money anyway!"

AND

"I'm not the REAL problem - there are people who screw the benefits system MUCH worse than me!"

I agree. Wrong = wrong.

That doesn't make it right.

I think common sense (and decency) is paying for products.

Don't get me wrong, Vemsie. I'm not saying it's "right" but how can anyone argue that getting something for free without any physical connection, the feeling of depriving an individual of something or any real fear of consequence is not common sense? I just don't have that much faith in my fellow human, and neither do you otherwise you wouldn't lock your door at night.

As it stands, I see this going one of two ways:

1) people become "educated" as to this being illegal and that there exist tangible repercussions for their actions;

2) games developers manage to offer an "experience" when buying an original that isn't available in a copied version.

I just find it amusing to see the level of indignation aimed at such an insignificant crime, which it really is in the greater scheme of things.

I just don't have that much faith in my fellow human, and neither do you otherwise you wouldn't lock your door at night. 

I don't either, unfortunately. It's good to see that many peope ARE willing to pay for their games though. Lets hope it stays that way.

I don't either, unfortunately. It's good to see that many peope ARE willing to pay for their games though. Lets hope it stays that way.

So what are UK consumers supposed to do then, they buy the game legitimately, install it, discover it wont work or install at all due to the copy protection? Then they also discover they cant take it back. Bargain £29.99 for a pretty coaster.

Soong -

Any idea how many games you've downloaded that people on this forum have worked on?  And does taking the property of your peers bother you?

Don't mean to pick on you - you are just ne of the few with the guts to admit to pirating...

he kinda seems a bit over board on the pirating though. I went to the link in his sig and its unreal! ( The frag dudes site is cool btw soong ;) ). Anyway It's just the way some people are I guess. I don't think I have ever downloaded a game, but I have gotten legit copies of games off friends and installed them.

So what are UK consumers supposed to do then, they buy the game legitimately, install it, discover it wont work or install at all due to the copy protection? Then they also discover they cant take it back. Bargain £29.99 for a pretty coaster.

Under the Sale of Goods Act, a game that does not work in this way is not fit for purpose, and the retailer must offer a replacement or a refund.

For me I've mostly found that it's not merely the idea of getting stuff for free, but often a question of convenience.

If all games could be gotten as a paid-for download, I really think that it would have a very positive effect. Added to that the fact that it implies connectivity by the user, and as such makes a centralised copyright database into a feasible idea.

Under the Sale of Goods Act, a game that does not work in this way is not fit for purpose, and the retailer must offer a replacement or a refund.

So you have to lie and say it just wouldnt work. "No I dont have a DVD burner on my PC honest guv, Can I have my money back please".

Because under the sales of good act it is fine and is fit for its purpose and its only the fact you have a Burner on your PC that stops it working. Not that I worry at night about it or anything.

Blame this forum for all the pirate talk. If yod@ didn't have a thread advertising modded Xboxes pinned here then I probably wouldn't be pirating Xbox games right now. This place has promoted it massively.

Hands up who DOESN'T have a modded Xbox here? Everyone I know has and downloads games just as much as me.

I'd like a modded xbox but only for the mame aspect of it. I really cant see how people see software/music/film piracy as anything other than outright theft. Tommorow walk into HMV and pick up a game, walk out with it and tell the security guard that your going home to try it and that if you really like it you'll come back and pay for it tommorow.

Also people moan about your cd keys being nicked and stopping you from playing being a reason they now pirate, well now your the c*nt that's doing it to people like me that pay for their games. Thanks

I've answered this before. It's not just about PC gaming (to be honest i never had much install problems with my PC games, so people are making the problem bigger than it actually is - and if i didn't like a game I'd just trade it for another). It's not jus quake 4 they yarr, they yarr Shadow of the Colossus as well.

It's wrong in both cases imo, even tough I have more sympathy for true art.

So you have to lie and say it just wouldnt work. "No I dont have a DVD burner on my PC honest guv, Can I have my money back please".

Because under the sales of good act it is fine and is fit for its purpose and its only the fact you have a Burner on your PC that stops it working.  Not that I worry at night about it or anything.

No. You have to just tell them the truth, that it wouldn't work on your PC. By buying the game, the contract between you and the retailer contains the implicit term that you wil be using it on your PC. If the retailer has not checked whether your PC will run the game, that's his issue.

http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/facts/salegoodsact.htm

http://www.netlawman.co.uk/acts/sale-of-goods-act-1979.php

In what way?

just that I never saw so much blatent yarring discussion before. I'm no saint though, I do go to torrent sites and all, I just don't go to sites and ask for stuff. If it's available (like family guy eps and such) I'll download it. But I won't go and ask people for it.

Also people moan about your cd keys being nicked and stopping you from playing being a reason they now pirate, well now your the c*nt that's doing it to people like me that pay for their games.  Thanks

In case that was aimed at me for raising the point, the last game I pirated was Turrican 2 over a decade ago, when I didn't know any better.

And yes, I've got a modded xbox.

What can the media companies do to stop piracy then? Scaring people from piracy and copy protection don’t seem to have any impact.

Nintendo have had two brilliant generations of almost piracy free games consoles. The GC and the N64. MS and Sony should surely follow their lead in making proprietary disks. That has to be the way forward.

How many people here have the ability to run pirate GC software?

It's actually just as easy to play pirate GC games these days. It's just not as popular. But yeah it took a lot longer.

Best way of telling which format's 'best' for pirate games is to go to some of the shops in Malaysia. There was barely a hint of GC games around, it was all PS2/Xbox because that's where all the pirate games were.

Well Blu-Ray is going to be tough to duplicate for a while... how long until BluRay drives and blank discs hit the market at reasonable prices? Also is there a feature of BluRay which will hinder piracy?

(This assumes the PS3 will be chipable of course.)

It's actually just as easy to play pirate GC games these days.

It's hardly easy. IIRC you need to cut the top of your gamecube and have a BB adapter. No?

If they haven't bought it, they don't own it... so everyone?

Nah, I'm joking of course.

But what's your point?

It's more aimed at the "Pirates are scum do deserve to be hanged" crowd. I'm sure they have mix tapes from friends etc kicking around at home.

My point is that whatever your view on piracy, it's pretty hard to avoid.

Some of you are clearly mad. 

Of course people will pirate games/films/TV shows when it's so fucking easy.  It's not a question of taking the moral highground as most people will take something for nothing if they can - it's common sense.

Have to agree completely with that.

I'm not clever and I don't feel proud about it but if I can get something for free then I will. End of.

As for all these pc developers taking the moral highground - where were those morals when you're constantly releasing unfinished software that requires patch after patch to make the damn thing work properly but still expecting us to pay full whack for it?