IGNORED

The Worst (and Best) Bugs You've Seen.

Fleagle

In Far Cry on the PC there was a big firefight going on between the mercs and the tri-gens (plus some scientist dudes) in some ruined temple place. I hid in another room to let them duke it out, my plan being to mop up the wounded survivors afterwards, but the sound of battle raged on and on and on until my curiosity got the better of me...

I entered the room to find all the characters frozen in place (but still with the movement animations playing) and all the sounds of a firefight still taking place. It was cool - I could get up close and personal and look at the character models without being shot or mauled. Plus, shooting them still produced bullet hits and gory effects. After about 10 minutes I got bored though and carried on with the game.

In Halo, I was playing co-op on the second level. You know that massive indoor room with the light bridge? Well, we cleared out the Covenant on the floor of the room, and went up the ramp to the bridge activation switch. I always bounce a frag grenade round the corner to soften up the Elites hiding there, but this time I cocked it up, and the fight ended with us backing off down the ramp pursued by an irate Elite.

My shields went down, I frantically threw a plasma grenade at the Elite, but missed. It exploded behind him, but at the exact instant it exploded, he decided to jump. He part jumped/was part-propelled way, way over our heads about 20 feet in the air (while still doing the jump animation). He sailed for miles, clearing the ramp area, and continued across the room, eventually arcing down about halfway to the central road. Without skipping a beat, he just turned round and charged towards us again.

Not exactly a bug, just a flukey side effect coming out of the game's physics, but it was pretty funny. I wanted to give him a round of applause, but I was forced to kill him. So it goes...

I mis-threw a grenade in Halo just as it autosaved. Cue a repetitive scenario of trying to escape the blast, failing, reloading, trying to escape the blast, failing, reloading, trying to escape the blast, etc... you get the gist. In the end I had to restart the level from scratch.

Bastards.

I may have mentioned this one before.

Using the cheat to unlock the Wild Thing 2000 (possibly got the name wrong) in Ropad Rash 2 on the ol' MD, I was whipping along and had the line in sight when I managed to hit a tree, which normally results in a crash and your little fella having to run and get his bike.

Instead, on this occasion I was flung backwards at a thousdand miles and hour, the mile counter counting backwards at alarming speed. I crash landed about a quarter of a mile from the start line, and my bike landed next to me about ten seconds later.

I never did replicate it.

I had a brilliant one in Populous 3 where i told one of my villager guys to make a house and he had to flatten some land first, came back five minutes later and there was this humongous fucking hole the width of my poor villager that i couldn't even see the bottom of, had me giggling for ages.

In case anyone is interested my superb Burnout bug stopped working around 3.45 this afternoon. That's almost three hours of constant mayhem and destruction that must have resulted in the death of thousands of cars and trucks.

I don't really know what happened but the weirdness ended after I put the psp to sleep and turned it back on again only for the game to boot up from the beginning. It also seemed to have drained my battery quite a bit as it ran out shortly afterwards.

You should have seen the state of that road and tunnel though. Couldn't really see much at all after an hour or so as the polygons all seemed to be merging together but every now and again something would smash into them and 'clean' it up again.

Best bug I've ever seen and, of course, I will spend the next 6 months trying to replicate it and get some decent pics.

I mis-threw a grenade in Halo just as it autosaved. Cue a repetitive scenario of trying to escape the blast, failing, reloading, trying to escape the blast, failing, reloading, trying to escape the blast, etc... you get the gist. In the end I had to restart the level from scratch.

Bastards.

Thankfully Halo 2 takes you back a checkpoint if you die more than about 10 times soon after loading. Not so much a bug as bad design, that.

Best bug I've ever seen and, of course, I will spend the next 6 months trying to replicate it and get some decent pics.

It did sound pretty hilarious.

Reminds me of when I used to spend ages in Crazy Taxi trying to block off roads by ramming parked cars into position as makeshift barricades. Ultimately pointless, but for some reason highly amusing, watching the AI cars struggling to cope with the situation.

Super Mario Bros 2 on the NES has tons of weird glitchy stuff if you overload the game throwing lots of enemies rapidly (turbo pads help here). My favourite was glueing vegetables to the players head by putting down a potion door to the dark world on a vegetable and hammering (or turbo-ing) the pickup button when you were brought back to the proper world (can't remember the proper names of them). If done right, you'd pick it up and it'd just stick to your head, but leave you free to pick up another item. If you left the zone you'd have the item in your hands again. Amused me and my bro muchly as kids. Toad wandering around with a POW block fixed on his face was a good one. :P

I just posted this in the Colossus thread, forgot about this one. Playing last night (on Shadow of the Colossus obviously) my characters legs were the wrong way around, so attached at the torso, but pointing upwards through his shoulders. I could still jump and the legs would try and walk, but quite freaky. Did capture a short video of this, so will put it up late tonight if I get the time

Playing Driv3r in virgin megastore demo pod, I drove a car for a few hundred yards then got out, and as he shut the door my character just slowly floated away. Up and off the screen. Wasn't really sure what to do after that.

The other night playing Halo 2 on elongation, this blue guy got headshotted and backflipped over. His head got 'caught' in the floor and his body, doing a perfect headstand, didnt like it one bit, jerking and spassing out to try and free itself. we pretty much all just stood and watched this upside down body breadancing in front of us.

Myself and a friend were playing Jimmy White's Cueball over two networked PCs a while ago. My friend tried to sink a long blue. To his delight, his screen showed that he had been successful. Not so on mine. We spend the next few shots watching the two machines cope with such an impossibility.

Anyone else see that bug in World Racing on the Xbox where you could pan the camera so that it was underneath the car and then when you pressed the reset switch the car would drop off the face of the planet instead of landing on the ground?

It really was awesome to watch as the huge level would slowly disappear beneath (above?) you until it was just a speck in the distance.

• 3 months later...

I got this in Quake IV today:

quake4.jpg

I killed the Network Control Guardian and when he died there were big jets of flame shooting from the ground where he'd dematerialised, as though the game had forgotten to turn off his jet pack effect when I killed him. After a while it stopped, but when I went close to place where it happened there was an invisible barrier blocking my way and a set of pointy teeth floating eerily in the air where he'd died. :D

About two years ago I encountered an excellent bug in a LAN game of GTA2.

There were three of us playing. A mate and I had decided to gang up on the third guy as a punishment, and we found him and killed him with ease. Or did we?

In a scene reminiscent of LevelUp's Cueball tale, his game thought very differently. In fact, his game was a completely different deathmatch. On our screens he was running around like a drunken idiot, on his screen he was navigating the roads with ease and finding us to be the drunken idiots.

Needless to say, it was our word against his, even though we believed him, thus we won.

I can't believe noone has mentioned Warrior Within. In the Central Hall you have to rotate a lever that changes the room to allow you to move to either the Water Tower or the Mechanical Tower. The game allows you to do either one first but if you choose the Mechanical Tower first, you get a game-stopping bug later in the game forcing you to start over. Thanks Ubisoft QA!

I can't believe noone has mentioned Warrior Within. In the Central Hall you have to rotate a lever that changes the room to allow you to move to either the Water Tower or the Mechanical Tower. The game allows you to do either one first but if you choose the Mechanical Tower first, you get a game-stopping bug later in the game forcing you to start over. Thanks Ubisoft QA!

What's that? I've done it both ways and it still worked so it's obviously not guaranteed to break, must depend on some other things. Another one in the central hall if you save when Kailena is there and reload she's not there anymore. But her collision box is, confused me for a bit that - plus it's a really cheap box too, just halts you until you push away, you can't 'slide' along it.

What's that? I've done it both ways and it still worked so it's obviously not guaranteed to break, must depend on some other things. Another one in the central hall if you save when Kailena is there and reload she's not there anymore. But her collision box is, confused me for a bit that - plus it's a really cheap box too, just halts you until you push away, you can't 'slide' along it.

Maybe it was specific to a particular version but I know a number of people that had the same problem. I also turned into the Sand Wraith way before I shiould have.

I'm pretty sure that happened to me - there was a rotated lever thing missing. I know it was missing because it shows him turning the lever in the attract video. I couldn't do anything - I was fucking RAGING. 3 or 4 hours down the swanee. I was quite enjoying up to that point too.

edit: yeah, I turned into the sand wraith too, after the lever thing.