The Worst (and Best) Bugs You've Seen.

Fleagle

Just been having a bash on Burnout Legends when something very weird happened.

I was in the middle of the 3rd race of a grand prix and winning. Went roaring through a tunnel on the big surf shore track when suddenly I saw a traffic accident ahead.

Two busses had collided with each other despite the fact that none of the racers were anywhere near them and had completely blocked the road. I, along with the other three drivers, couldn't get out the way and ploughed straight into them. Shortly after every other car behind us crashed as well.

While waiting for the restart I watched as every car, lorry and bus smashed into us and this continued for around 5 minutes.

Still no restart and instead I just had to sit there and watch my car get continually smashed to pieces. Some of the other drivers managed to escape the mayhem but all they then did was another lap only to crash into all of us again and restart the process.

As I'm typing this it's still going on and there must be over 100 vehicles all over the road. None of them are vanishing and nothing seems to be able to stop it.

I was playing a grand prix as well in Burnout revenge and I collided with two cars, the screen went completely white except for my car. After a while everything returned to normal until I finished the race and noticed part of the background scenery along the side was white.

grap a camera an take a pic, that s gota be funny

I'm trying but my cybershot is at home and the only other option is the phone camera which doesn't really pick up a decent image.

It's still going on so I might just leave it running and then head home and grab a pic as there should be enough power to keep it going for a few hours yet.

I've never seen anything like it! We're all just sitting here at work watching this thing and it's hilarious. Never ends. It's like the Blues Brothers or something...

Do you mean Burnout Legends then? Or are you running your Xbox from a battery?

If it's the PSP you could just put it into sleep until you can get to a camera.

Oh yeah, sorry. Burnout Legends it is.

I'm afraid to put it to sleep in case that somehow resolves the problem and ruins my fun. This is by far the coolest bug I've ever seen and I demand everyone at Critereon to include this as an unlockable in the next edition. :huh:

Jet set willy had a terrible bug where if you fell off a cliff on a certain level you would 'respawn' in mid air and continually fall to your doom until ALL your lives were lost!

Sorta funny really!

That was ALL levels. Basically if you fell into any room (or jumped into it onto a baddy or off a ledge) you would 'restart' that screen in the same way you entered - until all your lives were finished off (not helpful if you'd 'POKE 31249,0' the game before hand).

That was ALL levels. Basically if you fell into any room (or jumped into it onto a baddy or off a ledge) you would 'restart' that screen in the same way you entered - until all your lives were finished off (not helpful if you'd 'POKE 31249,0' the game before hand).

knowledgable chap you are! i like your style! :)

The Giant Invisible Ground Holes in Mace Griffin- falling forever out of a level with no oppertunity to die and go back to the last checkpoint was infuriating, since the game's save-continue system only records your progress once every infuruating half-hour or so.

There was something very similar in certain points in GTA3, as well. Once my van , which was speeding along at about three hundred miles per hour, launched itself headlong through the bottom of the level, and I found my poor character falling at a thousand miles per hour from great height into the pavement. He barely survived, something rendered positively irritating by the fact the afforementioned van landed on the poor git seconds later.

Jet set willy had a terrible bug where if you fell off a cliff on a certain level you would 'respawn' in mid air and continually fall to your doom until ALL your lives were lost!

Sorta funny really!

Was that the one with the words DIE MORTAL written on the screen ?

Most SEGA race games seem to have broken replays where if you pause/unpause repeatedly, if fucks it up and your car gets out of sync with the course. The DC Daytona-port does this on the desert course (IIRC). Fun.

The PSOne GT games had dodgy timers that would affect the race outcome below a hundredth of a second. I've won in game, where the timer is in milliseconds, and then lost the replay; how fucking irish is that? Exiting the replay where it gives you a rundown of the times is also in hundredths and the rounding means you can lose a place :)

I never completed Headhunter 'cos of a bug in the game. I can get him to fall out of the level on demand too.

Driver 3 basically, so buggy it actually made the game hugely enjoyable :P

Nah, the original beat it hands down with those ridiculous crashes you could cause that led to you flying several kilometres into the air and spinning around for an eternity. They were great.

Another good one would be the arms/guns/legs glitch on Goldeneye where you could always get the drop on the enemy because their limb was poking through a solid door.

My Burnout glitch is still going BTW. :)

The original Moto GP:URT for the Xbox had a fantastic bug. If you saved a replay on a reversed track, turned off the "reverse courses" option, and then watched the replay, the AI went completely bezerk. This lead to every rider riding off at full speed in random directions, in a staggeringly entertaining display of LSD-fuelled motorbike chaos.

Some games have even incorporated bugs into future versions of the game, like the "skiing" in Tribes.

The jump-out-the-back-of-the-intro-tram bug in Half-Life, and getting to look at all the little models going about their busy bee lives close-up. Until their animations ended, that is.

I spent ages trying to get out of that tram. How'd you do it?

EDIT: Also, good first post. Hello.

i had some bug on Burnout 2 where i drove over a cliff edge and then the car rolled down the side and then it kept falling and falling and the car got smaller and smaller and then the car fell into a black hole and the screen was all going funky.. it did it for like 5 minutes. and then i reset.

I spent ages trying to get out of that tram.  How'd you do it?

EDIT:  Also, good first post.  Hello.

Hola! Ummm, good question. If I remember correctly you could do it right from the beginning. Just run up to the back of the tram and keep doing the crouchy-jump thing and thanks to the vaguaries of moving blocks in the Quake engine, you'll accidentally-on-purpose slip out the back and onto the track. From there I think you can jump down to the platforms below.

Of course, you can achieve all of this by inducing the flymode impulse in the console, but bugging it is way more fun and feels a bit special.

I remember the great Virtua Fighter 3 bug on the DC. Pick two sumo wrestler's, Taka-Arashi, and then go onto the water boat level.

You can effectively "sink" the level and then the game goes mental, with player's floating in the air and their limbs going all over the place. Highly entertaining. :)

Hola! Ummm, good question. If I remember correctly you could do it right from the beginning. Just run up to the back of the tram and keep doing the crouchy-jump thing and thanks to the vaguaries of moving blocks in the Quake engine, you'll accidentally-on-purpose slip out the back and onto the track. From there I think you can jump down to the platforms below.

I know what I'll be doing tonight, then.

Crazy Taxi was great for bugs, but I was never sure if they were bugs or intentional coding. You could, for example, do a crazy drift and hit a wall broadside, which then tipped the car and jumped around, keeping your Drift combo bulding up for ages and ages. You'd run out of time in the end, of course, unless you found some way to free yourself.

The first Championship Manager game on the Amiga had a great bug that meant you couldn't continue to once you'd completed a season if one of your players was going to be transferring to a foreign club.

Strangely, if you repeatedly fined the player who was going to be moving abroad each week, they would change their mind and sign a new contract!

Mortal Kombat II (MD): sometimes on our version we (my brother and I) would beat Shao Khan at the end and then a final round would have him shaking uncontrollably for no apparent reason. He wouldn't die, and he couldn't be beaten up, but he could be moved if you walked into him so we just tried pushing him off the edge of the screen, but he would stop when he reached the edge. Bizarre.

Target Renegade (C64): there's a sequence that happens if one character grabs you around the neck and the other is holding a bat, where if you don't waggle your way out of his grip the bat guy would beat you until you were dead. However, if you were grabbed when the other guy didn't have a bat to hand, he would do this crazy animation that looked like a man who puts his hands on his kneecaps and brings the knees together, crosses his hands so that they are on the other kneecaps, brings the knees apart, crosses his hands back and so on. As he wasn't beating our character up, we had to reset the game.