rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Tsietisin

My Rev Controller Mockup. Is This How It Will Play

For some time now I have been playing games with the same type of controller that has been around in one variety or another for 20 years or so.

Now as well are all very well aware, Nintendo want to change everything on the revolution by using a special mid air motion sensing controller.

I thought to myself that I could come up with something very similar using components that I already have at home, so thought I would give it a go.

First off, the right hand motion detector.

gyrationmouse.jpg

For this I am using the Gyration Ultra mouse which is ideal for the situation. I read somewhere once that Nintendo were in talks with Gyration when developing the controller. If the sensors in the Rev are anything like the mouse, then I would expect it to be very accurate in what it does.

It does not always detect movement, only when I press down on a button on the bottom of the mouse. This allows for centralisation should I need to turen further than my wrist will allow.

Second up, for the left hand I am using the ASCII grip one handed PS1 controller.

asciigrip.jpgasciigripside.jpg

As you can see, it has the two buttons on the underneath like the Rev analogue attachment. Has a total of 10 usable buttons and as you can see is only a digital Dpad and not an analogue stick. I shall not worry about that fact for the basis of this experiment.

This is connected to the PC with a PSX to PC USB converter.

psxtopc.jpg

Simple enough.

Now my game that I tested was halflife 2: Deathmatch. The game does not have the joystick commands as I would like them, so used Joy2key to map out the various buttons and Dpad on the PS1 controller, to the required keys on the keyboard. Works well enough for me anyway.

So onto the play. It all seems to work pretty good. Aiming can be a little more difficult than using a mouse on a flat surface, your hand will tremble slightly so it will shake the movement on screen as well. I am sure that with practice you can get this down to a minimum.

I do think that I need to have more practice playing with this kind of a setup. I do think that it is going to work, just needs lots and lots of practice as it is a way of playing not used by the masses before.

I made up a video of myself playing the game which should show a little of how I expect it to work.

Edit by Alan: Torrent link here (thanks to treo for setting it up and seeding!)

http://www.mininova.org/tor/137075

Google Video - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=67...8405&q=nintendo - This one should allow you to watch without the need for additional codecs. (even if another forum has claimed the credit, it appears)

As I say, needs practice from me and I do think that regular gamers will take some time to get used to it, but once they get it down right, it will be the best controller out there.

Edit: now I dont have two right hands

Interesting idea. I'm downloading the vid now.

EDIT: Just watched it. It actually works pretty well.

If Day of Defeat was released for the Rev I'd buy about 5 of them if it was anything as promising to control as this vid.

good work chap. word.

Very cool. Funnily enough, I made a mental note last week to buy one of those gyration jobbies for the mac mini downstairs (so that I don't need a flat surface to move a mouse on).

Sadly in my old age I completely forgot about getting one.

Someone should alert the gadget blogs to this thread, they'd be very interested.

Someone should alert the gadget blogs to this thread, they'd be very interested.

Hmm if the whole internet is gonna look at this thread the starter might want to think about his hosting bill....

Hmm if the whole internet is gonna look at this thread the starter might want to think about his hosting bill....

And the fact he said "second up, for the right hand" when he meant "left". Swift edit required - wouldn't want the whole world to think he had two right hands!

If i wasn't already a "believer", which i am, then i would be after seeing that video! Roll on the Revolution :D

Hosting shouldnt be a problem, unless it goes over 500Gb. :D

Thanks for all your wonderful comments about my little experiment. I shall have to tell others about this.

For this I am using the Gyration Ultra mouse which is ideal for the situation. I read somewhere once that Nintendo were in talks with Gyration when developing the controller. If the sensors in the Rev are anything like the mouse, then I would expect it to be very accurate in what it does.

Not just in talks with - they actually bought a large chunk of the company and acquired rights to all of Gyration's patents. The original press release from 2001 gives some indication.

In retrospect everything from the Virtual Boy and N64 seems to have been geared towards delivering the Revolution...

Not just in talks with - they actually bought a large chunk of the company and acquired rights to all of Gyration's patents. The original press release from 2001 gives some indication.

In retrospect everything from the Virtual Boy and N64 seems to have been geared towards delivering the Revolution...

Ha ha!

"Gyration". It's the greatest name for a company ever. Oh, and mad psychadelic props to the original video.

I saw the title, and I thought, here we go, dorky thread alert. Some geek has drawn up some idiotic revolution controller idea and is about to get ripped.

But then I read and saw the video

superimpressed.gif

I think the folks of this board are right, this post needs to travel to the news pages. Give the guys over at Eurogamer and Planetgamecube (Doesn't Rob Graves do writing for them?), it's a fanboys wet dream.