IGNORED

Another Charity Shop Find

jon bda

A very nice find: Jon does his bit for charity, and at the same time adds another item to his collection.

They are supposed to chuck stuff like this in the bin as they ain't allowed to sell it. I came to an agreement with the manageress that i wouldn't sue them if i blew myself up with something i'd had off them :(. So, i get whatever comes in and they get a few extra quid in the collection box, saddens me to think about what would of gone in the bin over the years there though...

:D

I got a mint one like that from  a car boot this year for £2

I find this hard to believe. Surely no one is stupid enough to sell something in that condition, boxed for as little as £2? Even the most stupid of car boot sellers is aware of ebay and tends to knock stuff like that up.

I find this hard to believe. Surely no one is stupid enough to sell something in that condition, boxed for as little as £2? Even the most stupid of car boot sellers is aware of ebay and tends to knock stuff like that up.

REALLY, there are people that stupid. A few weeks back I picked up a £80 technic lego set for £3. There's lots of it about. How about my haul of £400 worth of transformers for £10. SURELY, the guy selling them most have known they were valuable, you'd have thought!!!

But NO, they don't seem to or don't care.

The thing is that my Mum, for example, would have absolutely no idea that something like that is worth anything. If she were to be clearing the loft and found an old copy of Shining Force for the Mega Drive and a copy of FIFA '96 for the Mega Drive she wouldn't see any difference between the two and if she did a boot sale she'll stick them in there for 50p each.

It's the same with things like Transformers, Lego, CDs, toys etc etc

They aren't 'stupid' they just wouldn't expect something like that to be valuable. My Dad recently picked up a little model of a cat from a car boot for 25p. Turns out the thing is very collectable and worth around £150. He showed me it and both me and the girlfriend thought it was a bit naff looking. I would never have thought it was worth a penny.

They are supposed to chuck stuff like this in the bin as they ain't allowed to sell it.

The charity shop is not allowed to sell electronic items like videogames?

Damn, is that all charity shops, or just that specific one?

Charity shops used to be really good, before traders starting using them to pick up rarities.

The charity shop is not allowed to sell electronic items like videogames?

Damn, is that all charity shops, or just that specific one?

Charity shops used to be really good, before traders starting using them to pick up rarities.

from what I understand is that charity shops and such can't sell electrical items in case it blows up.

My last good find from the same shop was this...

mastersystem.jpg

mastersystem2.jpg

...also a fiver. I've had some rough old tat off them as well but i still stick a few quid in the box for their trouble, they don't have to sort it all out for me and its nice of them to do so!.

<_<

Charity shops can resell electrical goods, but only if they've been tested and certified safe by a qualified electrician. A lot of them don't have access to someone to test so bin stuff, others will have an 'arrangement' to either pass stuff on untested or transfer it to a central charity that does have one. Of course some places choose to ignore it altogether <_<

You're a lucky guy there Jon.

Just out of curiosity, what charity was the shop for?

Both my parents have both retired, and on a Wednesday afternoon my mum works in the local St. Peters Hospice chairty shop. She's come back with some amazing clothes (you'll be amazed at how much brand name stuff they get in there), but no consoles and the like.

I did offload a mass of Spectrum football titles there a couple of years back, (if it's not Matchday, I'm not interested) and within a few hours of them going on display a collector had bought the lot. I got rid of some games I didn't like, he got some new Spectrum games for his collection, and the charity got some more pennies.

Rob