6) bunny

5) aah kids...

4) ID cards

3) students

2) unethical

1) moo the cow

adlibstarsmall.jpg

(original post below)

I'm planning on doing some short 4 panel comics just to try out some stuff for my student newspaper and see how it goes. So I'll update this every once in a while. Here's the first one:

Some feedback would be nice, something like

1 = I don't get it

2 = I get it but it's not funny

3 = slightly amusing

4 = funny

5 = laughed out loud

Or just tell me what you think.

I'm not going to rate it, as such a thing is a poor way of giving feedback. Has a nice PBF feel to it, well executed. The style aint nothin' to write home about.

edit: the fact its called "the adventures of" is what makes it.

First comic fixed and second added. I've decided to submit them to our student newspaper every week as a good motivator for keeping me drawing. If I can keep it up I'll have to get some decent drawing pens, uniball pens don't look great after scanning...

First comic fixed and second added. I've decided to submit them to our student newspaper every week as a good motivator for keeping me drawing. If I can keep it up I'll have to get some decent drawing pens, uniball pens don't look great after scanning...

Number 2: 3.5 yet agian.

i dont know if they will all be about animals but the boy, young man and old man with the tounge out make me feel they are related / family and its a good hook as im expecting to see them again, delivering the joke each time..

i dont know if they will all be about animals but the boy, young man and old man with the tounge out make me feel they are related / family and its a good hook as im expecting to see them again, delivering the joke each time..

That's a good idea, I've got no plans for this I'll just try whatever I come up with and maybe over time I'll naturally find some good characters or theme to start a proper comic. If any more animal killings are involved they'll be back <_<

Added the fourth one, and given the strip a name:

ad lib adjective [before noun], adverb

said without any preparation or thought in advance:

If you've read them please take the time to give a minimum amount of feedback, it really does help in knowing what works and what doesn't. Thanks to everyone who replied so far!

They are nicely drawn, I dont think there's anything wrong with the character art. They don't make me laugh. The average comic strip in a tabloid paper never makes me laugh either though.

However each time you update it Im interested enough to look in and check the next strip so they maintain my interest regardless of how funny im finding them. So overall i'd say they're working well.

Nice one.

Same here. It has a very American feel to it (Garfield, a bit of The Far Side, Calvin and Hobbes), and my tastes lie more to the bizarre (http://www.redmeat.com (though that's gone really downhill in recent years) and PBF).

haha that redmeat.com is great.

Pijen I see what you mean, I get that with most comics. The thing with the best of comics like Calvin & Hobbes is that it's not about making you chuckle out loud, I went through my collection and was surprised to find how few would work as a stand-alone laugh out loud gag. Instead they create characters and worlds that are humourous and witty that makes you care enough to come back for more. Once the characters are established you have a lot to play around with and a good strip is not necessarily one that makes you laugh but one that makes you smile or think.

Comics like Penny Arcade and my own rely on some kind of funny sketch with the characters only existing to convey whatever funny idea happened to be passing through. Ideally I'd like to create my own little world but this is a start at least :blink: I can work on things like timing, dialogue and art until I come up with something.

Added the 5th. Life seemed so full of possibilities back then...

I thought 4 was crap...but 5 is brilliant. Best since the cow. Great stuff!